2003 Ford Escape XLS 3.0 from North America

Summary:

Not impressed

Mechanical.

Failed to start in extreme cold weather. 2 occasions (Despite block heater... dealer could not diagnose problem, says it was not plugged in. It was!)

Radio reception poor. (Replaced)

Fit/Finish issues:

Bottle of water leaked on front seat and left huge stain. (1 month old)

Both glass support struts on rear lift gate fell off. (1st @ 2 weeks, 2nd @ 15 months.)

Exterior molding at base of wheel well fell off.

Water leaks into vehicle through rear glass liftgate.

Rattles over rough road. Dealer can't find problem.

General Comments:

Pro:

Lots of power.

Handles well on dry pavement.

Sharp looking SUV

Spacious.

Con:

If our vehicle is any indication, there are serious fit/finish quality control issues.

Rear seat fold-down design is awkward.

With 2WD version, driving on rutted snow packed roads is flat out dangerous. The vehicle has a tendency do random 180 degree spins while traveling at low speed. (<30kph)

We don't plan to hold onto this vehicle beyond it's warranty.

Review Date: 23rd March, 2004

15th Jun 2005, 02:43

My Escape leaks through the rear glass tailgate too, probably need some new seals.

16th Jun 2005, 05:10

Sounds like your having troubles with your Vehicle however I don't see a water stain on the seat to be a defect most cars will stain if water is spilt on it.

18th Jan 2006, 11:46

I have a 2003 ford escape xls. It has 70000 miles on it. It has ran very good its whole life, and has more than enough power. Best handling SUV around. It is AWD 4x4 and gets 25 in city. It's not a hybrid. It looks good and drives good.

12th Nov 2010, 10:39

Random spins? Are you kidding me? So, you could just be driving on a regular road on a regular day.. then... it just spins out of control! WOW.. Is that an issue with the vehicle or the driver!?!?

A water stain on the seat.. oh no.. I really should look out for that.

2003 Ford Escape from North America

Summary:

Expensive junk

Running boards and plastic trim (around entire lower half of vehicle discolored and dealer replaced. Battery went dead after 1 year and dealer replaced. After the 36,000 mile warranty ran out, the CD system quit playing and the gas pedal has started sticking.

General Comments:

It would be a decent vehicle if not for serious quality issues. It will be impossible for an average working person to get FORD to repair the faulty vehicle.

Review Date: 30th December, 2003

6th Sep 2004, 14:43

This person is right about the report he posted. After the 36,000 mile service, the CD System quits and so do other things on the car, like the key-less entry, side view mirrors, and the gas pedal drops or sticks. I wonder if Ford knows about all these issues? If so it should be covered under manufacturer defects, or at least warn customers about it, if it is a service gizmo to get people back in the service shop. The freedom to enjoy your car after paying so much money for it is not the same anymore. It feels like FORD still owns your vehicle and can do whatever they feel like with it.

24th Aug 2006, 16:26

Actually, there is a large recall that you should have been informed about the gas pedal sticking, bring it to Ford.

2003 Ford Escape XLS from North America

Summary:

A fun car at a great price

I have had few complaints after owning this car for just short of a year. I have had problems with the hatchback latch. At one point it would not close at all. I would try to close it, but it would bounce off the latch. The dealership replaced the part. I am having problems with the latch again though. I have been driving along and the door will just unlatch even though it was securely closed and checked. Fortunately the door has not actually swung open, but I am afraid it will. Also, I am having the same problem with the latch not always catching when I close the door. Another problem that has I am having recently is that the car will not always start right away. I am not sure if there is a problem with the starter. I am bringing the car back in to the dealer this week. Another minor problem is that the windows fog up very easily.

General Comments:

Overall, this is a great car.

Problems seem minor.

I feel very comfortable and secure driving this car.

The quick braking has kept me out of several accidents.

Review Date: 16th December, 2003

23rd Aug 2005, 14:41

If your car is fogging up easily make sure the carpets are not wet, especially the passender side. Sometimes the AC drain tube gets disconnected and water leaks on the carpet.

12th Nov 2010, 10:43

If your windows are fogging up, turn off the air circulation. Blast your defrost!

Wet carpets? Are you kidding me?! Am I supposed to take off my boots before entering my vehicle in the winter?

2003 Ford Escape XLT Leather 3.0 V6 from North America

Summary:

Good SUV for the price, many great features

The vehicle has performed well, only regular maintenance this far.

General Comments:

The vehicle is roomy and comfortable, it handles well and with the V6 has plenty of passing power. The transmission shifts smoothly, however on hills it does tend to downshift frequently. There is plenty of interior room, and lot's of headroom even with a sunroof. The controls are well placed, and the dash is easy to read at night. The middle dash does appear a little cheap however. The seats are comfortable and firm, a nice feature would have been to make the passenger seat also a power seat. Also the headrest should tilt. The stereo controls are good, but the CD changer is slow in changing CD's. The moonroof is great, and the fact that it has a tilt-up feature is super.

Review Date: 10th August, 2003

4th Apr 2004, 20:25

What is a moon roof?

Is it different to the sun roof?