2003 Ford Escape XLT 3.0 from North America
Get a Liberty only if you love poor stability, gas mileage, space, and ride for a higher price
- Brake oil hose.
Why there are more of those blue pieces of junk called Liberty on the roads? The Ford is smoother, quieter, more spacious, better performing, much more reliable, and better looking, while being better on gas and cheaper as used!
- Good looking American SUV; it's hard to find that today!
- Reliable, quiet, smooth, good on gas, performs decently.
- Gets around 18 city and 30 highway. It's a FWD only though.
- Fully foldable back seats, great for carrying large furniture and profane activities :)
- Cheap American plastic dashboard, but it holds itself.
- Brakes are horrible and ABS kicks in with moderate braking. It's worse in FWD models because of the uneven weight distribution.
- More stable than a Jeep Liberty, but a shopping cart is more stable than a Liberty, so it doesn't count!
It does the perfect job for everyday uses, carrying lots of stuff, giving soccer moms a false feeling of security in an SUV, etc... while AWD models perform pretty good off-road and get better mileage than all Jeeps.
Would you buy another car from this manufacturer? Yes
Review Date: 1st March, 2013
2nd Mar 2013, 07:07
Unclear just what this review is talking about, as it keeps referring to the Jeep Liberty (which has gone out of production anyway, to be replaced by the revived Jeep Cherokee).
2nd Apr 2013, 03:34
I was referring to the double priced Liberty by everyone over the Ford. I keep seeing those ugly looking pieces of junk on the road way more than the Ford. Mechanics know about them better and more stores have parts for them, because there are more on the road and they breakdown more often. Can't find a reason for the preference. Both cars have been replaced, regardless of the name change.
2nd Apr 2013, 17:28
The Ford Escape is, of course, a very well-built and reliable vehicle far ahead of the competition. That is a given. But I feel that the now-defunct Liberty is being judged a bit harshly. First off, it cost about the same as the Escape, not "twice as much". I test drove a new one a few years ago and it was actually cheaper than the Escape. My godson owned a Liberty, and though certainly no match for Ford, it was not a bad vehicle at all and very reliable.