2008 Ford Escape Reviews

2008 Ford Escape XLT 2.3 from North America

Year of manufacture2008
Previous carFord Explorer

Summary:

Try it, I think you will like it

At 65,000 miles, the transmission had to be replaced.

The battery was replaced after 45000.

Now at 105000, it has a humming sound. Not sure what it could be, but people think it may be a timing belt.

The car has been a work horse for me. But the comfort of the seat and the interior needs more attention to detail.

The center console is cluttered, and it's a pain to find the buttons when driving.

It is almost impossible to remove a stain from the chairs. For some reason, it holds on to the stains, and I am a furniture cleaner by trade, and I cannot get most of the stains out.

Since 25000 miles you hear a lot of creaks and sounds in the interior.

General Comments:

The car is a good commuter... and not bad on gas...

Review Date: 12th May, 2011

2008 Ford Escape XLT 2.3 I4 from North America

Year of manufacture2008
First year of ownership2010
Most recent year of ownership2011
Engine and transmission 2.3 I4 Automatic
Previous carFord Escape

Summary:

Fun to drive and great 4WD, but reliability and poor service makes it one to avoid

Transmission cooler began leaking. When I took it to the dealer, they wouldn't fix under warranty, because the cooler is not considered a part of the drivetrain, in spite of the fact that the tranny clearly cannot function without it. This is well documented problem that Ford refuses to issue a recall on.

General Comments:

I traded a 2005 Escape that never gave me one problem for the newer one; a regrettable mistake.

The ride is smoother and gets better mileage than most SUV's. Interior is a little cramped, and as others have noted, the plastic is cheap and scratches easily.

The Intelligent 4wd is excellent. I've driven both the 2005 and 2008 at least 100 times in snow, ice, slush and crazy combinations of all three, and never struggled uphill or downhill.

It's not the fastest or nimblest SUV on the road, but is better than average in most regards, except reliability.

I had a high opinion of the Escape until I had to absorb the cost of a major repair for a faulty component, which is well-documented common problem that's 100% result of faulty manufacturing. The service manager told me this breakdown is so common he keeps two tranny coolers in stock at all times.

Review Date: 26th April, 2011

26th Apr 2011, 21:12

Many of us of made the mistake of trading in a good car for a average/bad or even worse, a flat out lemon of a car... Also it shows that newer ones are not necessarily better than older ones. What makes it bad also is that in many cases the older one is already paid off which makes it more painful!

16th May 2011, 22:52

I have a 2008 Ford Escape XLT and after 45,000 miles the puller broke, making the belt fall underneath the car while I was driving. Although I don't have any complains driving under the rough snow winters, the SUV is very reliable on rainy and winter weather.

If given the chance again I will never buy another Ford made vehicle.

4th Apr 2012, 15:53

Original reviewer here. Since the first review, the factory battery died, three days after the Ford dealer changed the oil and supposedly checked the battery. I had to fix a minor problem with the exhaust, and now the ABS and traction control lights are on due to a faulty ring sensor; yet another common problem that Ford refuses to do anything about. Won't ever consider another Ford.

2008 Ford Escape Limited 3.0 from North America

Year of manufacture2007
Previous carMitsubishi Lancer

Summary:

Very happy overall, just suggest an extended warranty

Transmission condenser leaking within first 4 months. They replaced it, now it is leaking again, but not covered under warranty.

Uneven front tire wear.

General Comments:

Spouse is very small (4 ft 8) and very few cars fit her. This one with electric seat fits fine. Very glad we waited for 2008 to come out, much roomier inside than the previous year model.

Had to put it in the shop twice for the same issue, first transmission condenser leaked 4 months in. Second one started leaking recently, but the dealer said it wasn't covered because the replacement part only has 12 month coverage. If I had an extended warranty it would have been. Called Ford, they concur. $800 dollar repair just before Christmas.

Size is decent, visibility is good. I am so glad I didn't get the 4 banger, we still get 24 mpg with the V6 and when we have to merge, it does great. Handles good sized hills without having to downshift. Would be confident to tow a small trailer or boat with it.

Review Date: 20th December, 2010