2001 Ford Escort Reviews

2001 Ford Escort SE 2.0L from North America

First year of ownership2010
Engine and transmission 2.0L Automatic

Summary:

A malfunction magnet; not worth my money on repairs

I bought my car used, but so so taken care of, at 150,000 miles.

The first problem I had with this car was the air conditioner a month after I purchased; I went to recharge it, but it had a leak and the recharge was escaping. I had to take it to get an oil change and a tune up, because the previous owner had not done it in a while.

After like 2 months of owning the car, the gear shift on the car was malfunctioning. I could not get it out of park and into reverse or drive.

Then at 154,363 miles, the car gave up on me. I would try to ignite the car; all I would get was a chocking sound, and then eventually just a click sound from the motor; no engine whir or anything, not a sound. Just a click sound from the motor.

This is my first Ford car; I would never buy a brand like this ever again. I spent more on it than what I paid for. This car might get fixed or go the junk yard.

General Comments:

This car is just a malfunction magnet, even when well taken care of. I spent too much for nothing.

Review Date: 29th July, 2010

2001 Ford Escort ZX2 2.0 Zetec from North America

Year of manufacture2000
Engine and transmission 2.0 Zetec Manual
Previous carFord Escort

Summary:

It is a great car

Routine checks. Nothing has gone wrong, and I'm at 130k.

General Comments:

I have put a CAI, 2.25 inch exhaust, a B&M short shifter, plugs and wires, and headers on my ZX2, and I have beat so many Civic SIs, it's not funny.

The ZX2 is a very reliable car, and it makes good power for a 4 banger. I have even raced a V6 Mustang and won.

With a turbo/supercharger, the ZETEC will easily push 300bhp, and with such a light car, this thing would be like a rocket. For all you JDM guys and Civic drivers, although Civics respond better to upgrades, the ZETEC is a very solid engine, so quit bashing it. ZETEC POWER!

Review Date: 26th October, 2009

2001 Ford Escort ZX2 2.0L from North America

Year of manufacture2000
First year of ownership2009
Engine and transmission 2.0L Manual
Previous carPlymouth Breeze

Summary:

So much for so little

I installed a cold air intake and noticed an exhaust leak... turns out it was just that the exhaust from pipe came out from the cat. Paid 50 bucks and had a shop re-weld it.

No other issues.

General Comments:

This car seems great, it's fully loaded with leather seats, power windows, sun roof, CD changer, cruise... pretty much everything I want or need... and the manual is just so much fun.

I haven't had a car that I could squeal tires while rolling in 2nd gear since my Chevy 350 manual Fiero.

Not a lot of power (only 130hp), but it pulls like it's running more. It's a lot of fun to drive in the summer.

The best part is I only paid 3k for it, and after having the car for 3 months, I know I'd have happily paid 4500 or even 5k.

Review Date: 5th October, 2009

2001 Ford Escort SE 2.0 from North America

Year of manufacture2001

Summary:

Above average

I have read a lot of people talk about engine vibration. The problem with mine was the transmission mount that is under the battery tray and the front motor mount, the rubber transmission mount actually sags over time, and the engine lowers, causing it to be very close to the crossmember. I replaced the transmission mount and the front and rear motor mounts, and it is now smooth at idle, the mount on the fan belt end of the motor does not seem to go bad. I used Autozone mounts and it is now fine.

General Comments:

My car has been great. It's a crude car, but very dependable if taken care of.

Review Date: 26th May, 2009

2001 Ford Escort ZX2 2.0 liter from North America

Engine and transmission 2.0 liter Automatic
Previous carVolkswagen GTI

Summary:

Please start making cars like this again!

Plastic trim around steering column broke at about 140,000 miles, but I don't really care and haven't fixed it yet

Torque converter went at about 75,000, but still under warranty

Leaked antifreeze around the thermostat, an easy fix that cost me about 99 cents for a new gasket and some RTV

General Comments:

This is an excellent little sport compact. I drive it to work 5 days a week on a 75 mile round trip commute for the past 7 years, and now at 150,000 miles haven't had a single failure that cost me more than 10 bucks.

I drive this car hard too, just to give you an idea, tires with a 60,000 mile warranty usually only last me 10,000 miles. I have never had a car that so willingly tackles freeway ramps at 100mph day after day without ever giving me a scare.

Why would Ford stop making the Escort? It's a reliable, fun, affordable little car. Anybody looking for a fun daily driver, I would recommend a late 90's or early 2000's ZX2.

Review Date: 23rd December, 2008