1984 Ford F150 XLT 302 (5.0L) V8 from North America

Summary:

A stout machine that never quits

In the four and a half years that I owned the truck, only two components were ever replaced, other than routine maintenance.

Those components were the fuel pump in July 2002 and the Alternator in June 2001. Both of which were original parts and both totaled less than $40.00.

General Comments:

The truck was very stout however. The truck handled two wrecks, the first of which was a Firestone Tire blow out on the highway. I lost control of the truck and slammed into a pole, sideways, at 70MPH. The aft section of the bed had buckled in as had the aft bumper. However, the only frame damage was some slight curling at the point where the bumper was bolted on.

$500 go to damage mended. However, the repairs were not pretty. The truck was a long-bed with it's colors Blue and White. The replacement bed was from a 1990 F-150 which, in addition to the slight contour changes, was burgundy.

The second wreck was when my sister rammed the truck with her car. She placed a nice big dent between the the cab and rear tire on the driver's side. (However, my sister's Nissan Altima had to have it's back end replaced and frame straightened out.

The Truck was one of a kind. Those 435,000 miles were on her stock powerplant.

Her top 0-60 was in the range of 9.5 sec.

The only reason I sold her was due to the engine developing serious leaks after a visit to an unscrupulous mechanic. I was injured to the point where I was not even able to adjust the throttle, so I had to tearfully sell her.

Review Date: 19th May, 2004

1984 Ford F150 4x4 302 V8, C6 trans from North America

Summary:

Dependable and strong

Rebuilt engine 3yrs.ago.

Two new water pumps (don't remember when).

New carberator 4v.

4 or 5 sets of valve cover gaskets (after all it is a Ford)

Alternator.

Brake booster& master cylinder.

Ignition box.

General Comments:

I inherited this truck from my father. Don't let the low miles fool you it's been worked very hard, towed a 27' camper to beach and back (about 600miles one way, once or twice per year for about 12yrs) (camper is bigger and weights 2x more than truck!). This truck runs when nothing else does.

Review Date: 21st March, 2003

1984 Ford F150 300 from North America

Summary:

The lap of luxury, circa 1984

For 262,000 miles this truck has been incredible. The clutch has been totally rebuilt, and the engine was replaced at 90,000 miles (I don't know why.) Other than that it has been minor work off and on. I recently rebuilt the carb. and replaced the master cylinder.

The only major complaint is the rust from being a North Dakota truck. It is in need of major rust removal and repair and then a paint job.

General Comments:

This truck is awesome, turned tighter than the 2002 Ranger I had and could take it off the line.

The seats have worn out however, and it kills my back after having been used to the bucket seats of the Ranger (which I wrecked 12/13/02).

Review Date: 13th February, 2003

1984 Ford F150 Super Cab 5.8 High Output from North America

Summary:

We love it almost like a family member

The fuel pump went out when it was only about a year old. I replaced it only that once. The factory installed AM/FM Cassette died in 1990 and I replaced it with an in-dash Alpine unit that still works fine. I replaced the starter and power steering pump in 1991. The Alternator has been replaced twice. From about 50k miles on, I had rear main seal leaks from time to time - replacements would usually last a couple of years before it would start leaking again. At 197k miles, I had a bad rear main seal leak and it ran out of oil on my son during a fire-wood gathering trip. I had the local garage completely rebuild the engine, and now have about 5k miles on the rebuild, and a little over 300,000 miles on the truck. The self adjusters on the rear brakes have never worked as they should have and need work again right now.

General Comments:

It is and has always been a very strong and durable truck. When it was new, it was exceptionally fast for a truck. The C6 transmission shifts as well today as it did the day I took ownership of it. I am 6' 3" and 270 lbs. and the seating has always been very comfortable and roomy because of the extra room in the Super-Cab. In fact, roominess, especially leg room was the main factor that sold me on this truck in 1984. At that time, no other manufacturer was producing an extended cab model truck.

Review Date: 21st June, 2002

5th Jul 2009, 21:38

I have just purchased a 1984 F 150 with the carbureted 302 and A.O.D. transmission. It is in very good shape overall, I just have to replace the voltage regulator on it. I hope that this old girl will be around for a long time, a lot longer than my 1990 GMC 1500 that I just got rid of.

3rd May 2015, 17:20

I love a converted GM fan. I have the same drivetrain in my longbed. I did a reliable easy fix for the voltage regulators on the first day, because that's why I bought it so cheap. Replace the factory alternator with a GM one wire. You have to bore the through hole slightly larger and use a small spacer. But you never will see the battery light in the gauge cluster come on again.