1984 Ford F150 XLT I6 from North America

Summary:

A reliable beast

Lower Radiator Hose Blew (Original part) at 80000 miles.

Emergency brake cables were frozen when I bought the truck.

Carburetor had a flooding problem the first winter I owned the truck, easy fix.

General Comments:

This truck has been a dream vehicle for me. As a sixteen year old I bought it from a older gentleman in town and it served me beautifully ever since.

The engine has the trademark I6 roughness when starting it up, but while running it is a beauty. The body was amazingly well maintained, quite a few northern winters and not a bit of rust.

It is a 2WD model, but with weight in the back paired with incredibly low gears I fared better than some friends with 4WD vehicles.

The engine is a bit slow, but it makes up for low horsepower in beastly low end torque (smokes tires in gears 1-3!). I have had 2 ton loads in the bed and it felt no different driving uphill than it normally does.

The only complaint is poor gas mileage, which is why, with todays gas prices I am trading my trusty truck in for a more gas economical vehicle.

Review Date: 6th July, 2004

16th Dec 2004, 08:02

Stop, don't do it. A little gas money will never equal the repair costs of a newer, more fuel conservative car. I own a 1984 F-150, and it is super!!! Unlike every newer car I have bought my wife. I want to be buried in this truck!!!

4th Mar 2012, 16:06

I completely understand your desire for better gas mileage. I had an '85 F150 2WD with overdrive that gave me 25 MPG on the highway when it was new. I love the 300 6, so when I found an '84 FWD I thought I would get at LEAST 20 MPG. WRONG... Even with the hubs unlocked, the FWD puts drag on the drive train, and my best has only been 14-15 MPG. BUT, you'll be lucky to get much over 20 MPG in anything new, and spend 20K or more trying. Get a motorcycle, Civic, Mini etc. and keep the beast so you won't wish you had it later.

'Been there/ done that'

1984 Ford F150 XLT Ford 302 from North America

Summary:

Great reliable and fun truck

The previous owner received the truck with no transmission, but soon replaced it. The owner than gave the truck to his son who later blew the engine, and it was replaced.

General Comments:

It has very comfortable seats, and is great for long trips.

The ford 302 gives out enough power to haul many things, but also gets about 22 mpg.

The only work I've done is put a dual exhaust on it, and neoned the interior.

Review Date: 4th June, 2004

21st Nov 2004, 22:57

I also have a 1984 ford f150 with a 302, but I only get about 9 miles to the gallon. I was wondering how you were able to get 22 miles to the gallon.

26th Sep 2005, 02:06

I don't really think 22 mpg is possible. I had a 1987 302 EFI and it got 12.

1984 Ford F150 XLT 302 (5.0L) V8 from North America

Summary:

A stout machine that never quits

In the four and a half years that I owned the truck, only two components were ever replaced, other than routine maintenance.

Those components were the fuel pump in July 2002 and the Alternator in June 2001. Both of which were original parts and both totaled less than $40.00.

General Comments:

The truck was very stout however. The truck handled two wrecks, the first of which was a Firestone Tire blow out on the highway. I lost control of the truck and slammed into a pole, sideways, at 70MPH. The aft section of the bed had buckled in as had the aft bumper. However, the only frame damage was some slight curling at the point where the bumper was bolted on.

$500 go to damage mended. However, the repairs were not pretty. The truck was a long-bed with it's colors Blue and White. The replacement bed was from a 1990 F-150 which, in addition to the slight contour changes, was burgundy.

The second wreck was when my sister rammed the truck with her car. She placed a nice big dent between the the cab and rear tire on the driver's side. (However, my sister's Nissan Altima had to have it's back end replaced and frame straightened out.

The Truck was one of a kind. Those 435,000 miles were on her stock powerplant.

Her top 0-60 was in the range of 9.5 sec.

The only reason I sold her was due to the engine developing serious leaks after a visit to an unscrupulous mechanic. I was injured to the point where I was not even able to adjust the throttle, so I had to tearfully sell her.

Review Date: 19th May, 2004