1984 Ford F150 XL 4x4 351 2V from North America

Summary:

Rusty, but Trusty

Ignition control module burned out.

U-Joints are wearing out.

Getting rusted out in the cab corners and rear wheel wells.

Rear fuel tank vent tube plugged.

Water pump went.

Paint flaking off all over.

General Comments:

Overall, a really dependable truck. Lots of torque, good for hauling with the 351 and 3+1 Granny Gear transmission. The really low gear is great for pulling ships onto the beach at low tide and pulling stumps.

Dual shock front end, so 31's fit no problem. However, the wide tires make the truck kind of scary in the snow.

Non-Catalyst model from the factory, so it gives the smog police fits (Always fun to watch!)

Frightening fuel consumption, around 15mpg, so keep the gas card handy.

Very easy to work on. However, water pump bolts can snap off in the block, so be cautious if you are a shadetree mechanic.

Review Date: 21st August, 2004

1984 Ford F150 XLT I6 from North America

Summary:

A reliable beast

Lower Radiator Hose Blew (Original part) at 80000 miles.

Emergency brake cables were frozen when I bought the truck.

Carburetor had a flooding problem the first winter I owned the truck, easy fix.

General Comments:

This truck has been a dream vehicle for me. As a sixteen year old I bought it from a older gentleman in town and it served me beautifully ever since.

The engine has the trademark I6 roughness when starting it up, but while running it is a beauty. The body was amazingly well maintained, quite a few northern winters and not a bit of rust.

It is a 2WD model, but with weight in the back paired with incredibly low gears I fared better than some friends with 4WD vehicles.

The engine is a bit slow, but it makes up for low horsepower in beastly low end torque (smokes tires in gears 1-3!). I have had 2 ton loads in the bed and it felt no different driving uphill than it normally does.

The only complaint is poor gas mileage, which is why, with todays gas prices I am trading my trusty truck in for a more gas economical vehicle.

Review Date: 6th July, 2004

16th Dec 2004, 08:02

Stop, don't do it. A little gas money will never equal the repair costs of a newer, more fuel conservative car. I own a 1984 F-150, and it is super!!! Unlike every newer car I have bought my wife. I want to be buried in this truck!!!

4th Mar 2012, 16:06

I completely understand your desire for better gas mileage. I had an '85 F150 2WD with overdrive that gave me 25 MPG on the highway when it was new. I love the 300 6, so when I found an '84 FWD I thought I would get at LEAST 20 MPG. WRONG... Even with the hubs unlocked, the FWD puts drag on the drive train, and my best has only been 14-15 MPG. BUT, you'll be lucky to get much over 20 MPG in anything new, and spend 20K or more trying. Get a motorcycle, Civic, Mini etc. and keep the beast so you won't wish you had it later.

'Been there/ done that'

1984 Ford F150 XLT Ford 302 from North America

Summary:

Great reliable and fun truck

The previous owner received the truck with no transmission, but soon replaced it. The owner than gave the truck to his son who later blew the engine, and it was replaced.

General Comments:

It has very comfortable seats, and is great for long trips.

The ford 302 gives out enough power to haul many things, but also gets about 22 mpg.

The only work I've done is put a dual exhaust on it, and neoned the interior.

Review Date: 4th June, 2004

21st Nov 2004, 22:57

I also have a 1984 ford f150 with a 302, but I only get about 9 miles to the gallon. I was wondering how you were able to get 22 miles to the gallon.

26th Sep 2005, 02:06

I don't really think 22 mpg is possible. I had a 1987 302 EFI and it got 12.