2002 Ford F150 Reviews - Page 3 of 3

2002 Ford F150 XLT from North America

Model year2002
Year of manufacture2001
Previous carFord F150

Summary:

Exceptional value for the price!

The check engine light periodically comes on. this requires a visit to the dealer to test the vehicle. I never have had to fix anything on it.

Hate the gas mileage!

General Comments:

Extremely sturdy vehicle!!

Handles well and drives good!

Very roomy in the front, but cramped in the back unless the passengers are small children.

Review Date: 12th October, 2005

2002 Ford F150 XLT Supercrew 4.6 from North America

Previous carFord F150

Summary:

Great truck so far

Truck was a lease turn-in, 2 years old with 30,000 miles bought through a dealer at Ford Red Carpet Lease auction.

Bass button on the stereo did not work when I got it, and the right rear door speaker was busted. Both were replaced by the local Ford dealer under the remaining factory warranty.

Came with factory security system, but someone had added a Ford aftermarket system with a siren and a starter kill feature. This was very annoying, as you had to hit the unlock button before the vehicle would start, even if it wasn't locked when you got in. Also, the remote was cracked and the Ford dealer could not program an new one to work with the system. Finally had the aftermarket portion removed (at a cost of $210), and purchased 2 new remotes for the factory system.

The engine seems to tick for 2-3 seconds while building oil pressure at cold startup (overnight), then is fine for the rest of the day. Especially noticeable if parked on a downhill slope. Could be the ultra-thin (5W20) oil required for the 4.6 L engine, but a bit unnerving. I have 1000 miles left to decide if Ford needs to look at it.

This truck is an early build (Oct 01), so the listed transmission filter for the 2002 at Advance Auto Parts was not the correct part. Had to purchase filter for the 01 model to get the right one.

General Comments:

This truck is the replacement for the best truck I have ever owned, a 1994 F150 supercab 5.0 L which had 322,000 miles with no major mechanical failures when I finally sold it. I hope for similar reliability from this truck.

This truck is a 2002 F150 Supercrew XLT with 4.6L and 4OD auto transmission.

Charcoal grey with grey cloth interior, it is loaded with all power.

It has 4 real doors, but not much of a cargo bed, so I put an ARE fiberglass topper on.

The 4.6 gets 19.5 MPG on the highway, not bad, but it definitely has less power than the old 5.0 had. Even with a K&N air filter. Especially underpowered when pulling my horse trailer, but not too bad a tradeoff for the extra mileage.

Drives and rides very well on the original tires, General Grabber AW's on 16 inch wheels, and easily accessible with factory running boards.

Finally, the most important feature. I turned 40 a few weeks before I got the truck, could not get a convertible, a motorcycle, or a blonde, so I treated myself to the power sunroof. Sunburned forehead ever since. Yippee!

Review Date: 10th May, 2004

10th Jan 2006, 12:37

I have the same truck which I have owned for 1 1/2 years now.

This truck has been great.

Troubles:

Tailgate will sometimes lock by itself when I close it. Dealer cleaned and lubricated the lock per Tech bulletin, but it didn't solve the problem.

Check engine light came on (EGR code). I replaced an emissions module which was only available through Ford ($50). Solved problem.

I too think that the 4.6 is a bit gutless under load. But I don't tow that often.

Overall, I am very satisfied with this truck, it is now our family vehicle.

2002 Ford F150 XLT Supercrew FX4 5.4 Liter Triton V8 from North America

Engine and transmission 5.4 Liter Triton V8 Automatic
Previous carFord Cobra/LX

Summary:

Supercrew XLT FX4

Door lock bolts were loose, made squeaking sound. Fixed at Galpin Ford.

Door Ajar light/chime came on sporatically. Fixed at Galpin Ford.

Bottoms of seat headrests come undone often, not repaired.

General Comments:

This truck is great. It is a Supercrew XLT with the FX4 Off Road package. It will drive over anything, and is pretty fast, considering that it weighs 5000 pounds. The inside of the truck is very comfortable, and fairly well built. The standard features make it convenient as well. The truck is pretty high up, so it is a good idea to have the factory running boards installed. Nothing serious has gone wrong with this truck. The only problem is the sometimes poor gas mileage... 14 MPG on the highway. This could be from cruising along at 96 MPH on the way home from the beach, but mainly is because it is a two and a half ton truck. Not a Honda Civic.

Review Date: 15th August, 2003

13th Nov 2005, 13:26

I am the proud owner of a 2002 Ford F-150 XLT FX4, and I would have to say that the truck is a great truck to own and comfortable as well. I also pull demo derby cars without any problem, and living in Nebraska we have some muddy fields and a lot of hunting to be done and my Ford loves to do it all. They also have a distinctive look compared to Dodge and Chevy. So if you are looking to get a good used truck... them check out the F-150 XLT FX4.

13th Mar 2007, 23:20

I am the proud owner of a 2002 Ford FX-4 with 110,000 miles on it. This truck still runs smooth as when first bought. Only thing ever done to this truck is regular oil changes and new tires. I recommend this truck to anyone looking for a good used truck. With it's distinctive look, this truck stands out above the rest of the four wheel drives that came out in that year. As for the towing power and four wheel drive? Well let me tell you this, it never struggles and never had to be pulled out of the mud or sand.

30th Jan 2008, 19:34

I own an f150 lariat Fx4 with a Triton v 8 that I bought new in 2002. It has run flawlessly since I bought it, not one problem. It tows my 17 foot boat and has hauled all the topsoil, bark and landscaping rock that the average homeowner would need. I have 3 small kids (the oldest is 6) and they are outgrowing the back seat. I hate to even think about selling this truck, but with all these kids and if I'm going to get a camper, then a crew cab F 250 might be next. This pickup has been awesome!

2002 Ford F150 XLT 4.6 V8 from North America

Engine and transmission 4.6 V8 Automatic
Previous carPontiac Grand Am

Summary:

A great truck, highly recommended!

A few months after purchase the bed had to be realigned. I was told this was a semi-common problem caused by loosely tighten bolts at the factory.

Some clips had to be replaced in my moon roof after they broke. I was told the replacements had been redesigned. 2002 was the first year for moon roofs on F-150s.

General Comments:

I love my truck. It has a good amount of power, for a full size extended cab truck. However the handling gets difficult at high speeds due to the over assisted power steering. It also rides nice and is very comfortable.

This truck really lives up to the slogan "Built Ford Tough."

Review Date: 5th July, 2003

22nd Sep 2003, 08:07

What great trucks. I own a 2002 F-150 Supercrew and previously owned a Ford Ranger 4 cylinder. I drove the wheels off that Ranger and never had a problem. This Supercrew that I have now is the most comfortable of the trucks I have ridden in.

I am going to drive Ford trucks for the rest of my life.