2003 Ford F150 Reviews - Page 4 of 4

2003 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4x4 XLT 4.6L from North America

Engine and transmission 4.6L Automatic
Previous carFord Taurus

Summary:

An Excellent Truck

Nothing at all has gone wrong. This truck has run 100 percent perfect so far.

General Comments:

Interior is roomy and comfortable. Overall performance is very good.

It's not very good on gas, but what full size truck is? I get about 15mpg average.

I use the heck out of this truck. It is comfortable & very functional. I put line-x in the bed when I bought it. That was the best decision I ever made.

The only think that I would like is an improved turning radius. Sometimes it's hard to park if you need to make a sharp turn into a parking spot.

Overall a great truck that I'm very happy with.

Review Date: 26th April, 2004

20th Mar 2006, 12:10

I'm not impressed at all with mine. It looks great, but that's all it's got going for it. Gas mileage for the 4.6 4x4 is a joke at best. Ford should have kept the double tanks as stock equipment since these trucks drink gas like water. No wonder Ford is in trouble!! I'll never buy another one.

2003 Ford F150 XLT Supercab 4X4 5.4L V8 from North America

Engine and transmission 5.4L V8 Automatic
Previous carFord F150

Summary:

Dependable full size pickup with style

Throttle assembly needed replaced because accelerator was sticking in extremely cold weather.

Weather-stripping on driver's side door was installed incorrectly and had to be adjusted.

General Comments:

This is actually my second F-150, traded in the last one because it was only a 4X2. Overall I've been impressed by the quality put into these vehicles. I put almost 20000 miles on my last one without any major problems.

The styling on these trucks can't be beat either. Mine is Bright Red with 17" rims and the Sport Pkg, which replaces all the chrome fenders with painted ones. In just the first few months of ownership I've already had a number of total strangers tell me how nice my truck looks.

Handling and performance are relatively good for a full size 4X4 pickup. The truck also rides comfortably, although there is some annoying wind noise in the cabin.

The one major downside would have to be gas mileage. With the 5.4 V8 I'm only averaging about 12 MPG. However this was something I fully expect.

Review Date: 24th February, 2004

2003 Ford F150 SVT Lightning 5.4L Supercharged V8 from North America

Engine and transmission 5.4L Supercharged V8 Automatic
Previous carFord F150

Summary:

High-performance specialty truck

Upper Control arm bolts on left front wheel suspension replaced after nearly 4,000 miles - repaired at no cost under warranty by dealer.

General Comments:

I bought the SVT after sending the old F150 XLT in for work at the dealer. Since I am a truck guy, this is not a step, but a JUMP up from the older F150 models floating around. My family used to run modified cars at Indianapolis in summertime, so... putting these two points together it made sense for me to be interested in the SVT F150. Unlike some others writing reviews, I actually own this truck and have owned other makes and models, too.

The handling compared to other stock trucks is very gratifying with the independent front suspension and stock F1 tires. It isn't a sports car, but will shame cars that are classified as sports cars at a considerably lower price... even with a curb weight in excess of 2 tons!

Acceleration from a stop is phenomenal, especially when the M112 Eaton blower screams at you... but be prepared to "feed the beast" as mileage is directly proportional to the speed driven. Mine is typically 10-16 mpg with normal driving using 92 or better octane levels.

Comfort level compared to my old 1994 F150 XLT is light years ahead. The leather interior and 60/40 split bench seats with lumbar supports make this truck a long-distance Godsend compared to the old bench seats. When SVT Customer service asked me what my opinion was (they ask ALL SVT owners, eventually) on my new truck, I told them about the drabness of the interior front console... and guess what... they must have listened to us SVT owners because the newer models will be changed.

This truck isn't made for your typical "work-a-day" person, but it still has utility. I've used it to haul landscaping & construction debris... and it comes with a Class 3 tow package rated at over 5,000 lbs.

The bottom line is, if you want truck with motor and aren't too worried about utility, this is your dream muscle-truck...but be prepared to pay for it.

<GRIN>

Review Date: 24th December, 2003

2003 Ford F150 SVT Lightning 5.4 liter Supercharged from North America

Engine and transmission 5.4 liter Supercharged Automatic

Summary:

Worth every penny if you can afford the gas

General Comments:

Handles better than any other truck and most sports cars.

Hard to imagine a truck this big going this fast.

CD changer behind the seat and awkward to get at.

This is a great vehicle if you want or need a full size truck and also a sports car. I can fit my motorcycle in the back for long trips as well.

Red is the color to get, shop around several dealers if you have to.

Review Date: 13th March, 2003

9th Jun 2005, 10:26

This rig is a fine truck, but no way does it handle better than even the poorest handling sportscars. My manager crashed her "red" lightening into the dividing island due to poor handling associated with this particular truck. Straightline is good, but not handling. It's a regular f150 with a 1" drop.

9th Jun 2005, 17:17

Regardless of what someone might read on a website, no truck is going to handle like a sports car. Anyone who drives one like it will is a fool.

Your manager crashed her truck because she didn't know how to drive it, not because of any inherent defect in the truck's handling.

29th Dec 2006, 10:06

Yes, it is true that no truck will handle like a sports car, though the WORST handling car I ever owned was a 5.0 Mustang. How I survived in that car for 3 years is beyond me. My Dodge Dakota was much safer in cornering. It sat low, hugged the road, and was less prone to break loose in hard cornering. If I had to get somewhere in a hurry I'd take the Dakota. If I wanted to smoke the tires and act like a high school drop out I'd take the Mustang.