2003 Ford F150 XLT Supercab FX-4 5.4L V8 from North America

Summary:

Become good friends w/a gas station owner

Stereo was replaced twice (volume kept fluctuating). Had to be aligned when I purchased it (with 18 miles).

General Comments:

It had a few items that felt "cheap", such as the supercab doors shifting when the full-size doors would get shut. I could also feel and hear the doors shift on certain bumps (at very low rates of speed). The cabin was extremely comfortable. Never had better than 15mpg on the highway. 3.55 gears.

Review Date: 22nd October, 2005

23rd Nov 2005, 03:47

I noticed the same problem on my F-150, with the doors shifting on certain bumps. In strong crosswinds (on the highway), I could also feel the drivers side doors "push out", if the wind was on the opposite side. My truck has no interior rattles, but I'm afraid it will when it gets around 5 years old, (the quality of the plastic interior is cheap). When I bought mine, it had 3 factory defects; a loose drivers seat, flaking paint on the fenders (right behind the headlights), and a bent tie rod. (And it only had 38 miles on it, when I bought it!) My F-150 was the American version.. Ford built the 95-03 F-150's in America and Canada, and I've heard from many friends to buy the Canadian version.

2003 Ford F150 XL 4.2 V6 from North America

Summary:

It doesn't have the power when I need it

At 18.000 miles the starter, and ring gear was replaced, at 21,000 miles snow got into the heater unit, and locked up the heater-blower fan, causing the resistor to fail, next the lower ball joints went bad, and now at 32,000 miles the upper ball joints failed.

General Comments:

It's a good looking truck. easy to handle, easy to drive, its suspension is bouncy, seats are comfortable. Whats disappointing is the lack of engine power, and the poor gas mileage the V6 gets.

Review Date: 24th September, 2005

24th Sep 2005, 20:13

Well, if possible, its good practice to wash the under carriage of the vehicle in the winter to get salt and snow off. But sometimes its inevitable that some cars get water in the wrong places.

Dunno, about the ball joints, will have to watch that on mine. And the truck rides nicer with a light load in the back to settle the rear end.

My question is about the 4.2 manual. I have the same setup and notice no lack of power. I also get low to mid twenties MPG (mid twenties on "good" days lol, not common). If your engine has nothing wrong with it and you're not coming off another car with a V8, then I think you aren't a very good with a stick. You have to give it some gas and get the RPMs up to get going since the 4.2 has little torque compared to the "great" inline six. Loved my old 94...

12th Nov 2005, 04:15

I only get 15 mpg on my 4.2 V6, stick, and owners of the 4.6 V8 tell me they are getting 18 mpg. It bugs me I get less engine power, with lower gas mileage. I do use my truck for heavy hauling, and I run it off road, the suspension handles 2400 to 2600 lbs of coal. If I had to do it over again I would have purchased the V8 instead of the V6. The local Ford Dealer gave me a price on a 2005 F150 4x4 STX with a 4.6, auto for $19,700 with the rebates and discounts, the sticker on it was $27,300, and offered me $12,000 trade in. Maybe I should have took that deal.

9th Aug 2007, 10:47

It's interesting to read all of the negative comments... my F-150 just hit 47,000 miles and I have yet to take it to the shop!! I'm considering a BMW, but after reading the reviews I think I may just stick to my truck. I just replaced the tires and the only thing I've EVER done is perform the oil changes. I LOVE this truck although it does lack pick up and eats up gas! But hey... it IS a truck!! :)

15th Oct 2007, 15:02

Poor fuel mileage is in part due to the HP to weight ratio.. small 6 pulling a big truck. it is always working harder than the V-8. Ball joints are a common weak point on these trucks as well as the spark plugs. Use caution when you change them, the ends of the plugs break off and then your stuck putting a new head on. It's a real dumb design!!! They are known for blowing the plugs out of the head, just like the 5.4 and the V-10.