2003 Ford F150 Reviews - Page 2 of 4

Year of manufacture2003
Engine and transmission 4.2 V6 Manual
Most recent distance32000 miles
Previous carHonda Civic

Summary:

It doesn't have the power when I need it

At 18.000 miles the starter, and ring gear was replaced, at 21,000 miles snow got into the heater unit, and locked up the heater-blower fan, causing the resistor to fail, next the lower ball joints went bad, and now at 32,000 miles the upper ball joints failed.

General Comments:

It's a good looking truck. easy to handle, easy to drive, its suspension is bouncy, seats are comfortable. Whats disappointing is the lack of engine power, and the poor gas mileage the V6 gets.

Review Date: 24th September, 2005

24th Sep 2005, 20:13

Well, if possible, its good practice to wash the under carriage of the vehicle in the winter to get salt and snow off. But sometimes its inevitable that some cars get water in the wrong places.

Dunno, about the ball joints, will have to watch that on mine. And the truck rides nicer with a light load in the back to settle the rear end.

My question is about the 4.2 manual. I have the same setup and notice no lack of power. I also get low to mid twenties MPG (mid twenties on "good" days lol, not common). If your engine has nothing wrong with it and you're not coming off another car with a V8, then I think you aren't a very good with a stick. You have to give it some gas and get the RPMs up to get going since the 4.2 has little torque compared to the "great" inline six. Loved my old 94...

12th Nov 2005, 04:15

I only get 15 mpg on my 4.2 V6, stick, and owners of the 4.6 V8 tell me they are getting 18 mpg. It bugs me I get less engine power, with lower gas mileage. I do use my truck for heavy hauling, and I run it off road, the suspension handles 2400 to 2600 lbs of coal. If I had to do it over again I would have purchased the V8 instead of the V6. The local Ford Dealer gave me a price on a 2005 F150 4x4 STX with a 4.6, auto for $19,700 with the rebates and discounts, the sticker on it was $27,300, and offered me $12,000 trade in. Maybe I should have took that deal.

9th Aug 2007, 10:47

It's interesting to read all of the negative comments... my F-150 just hit 47,000 miles and I have yet to take it to the shop!! I'm considering a BMW, but after reading the reviews I think I may just stick to my truck. I just replaced the tires and the only thing I've EVER done is perform the oil changes. I LOVE this truck although it does lack pick up and eats up gas! But hey... it IS a truck!! :)

15th Oct 2007, 15:02

Poor fuel mileage is in part due to the HP to weight ratio.. small 6 pulling a big truck. it is always working harder than the V-8. Ball joints are a common weak point on these trucks as well as the spark plugs. Use caution when you change them, the ends of the plugs break off and then your stuck putting a new head on. It's a real dumb design!!! They are known for blowing the plugs out of the head, just like the 5.4 and the V-10.

2003 Ford F150 from North America

Model year2003
Year of manufacture2003
Previous carFord F150

Summary:

Heritage, Great truck for the name

General Comments:

I have had a good experience with Ford trucks. I purchased a 2003 Heritage Edition four wheel drive truck because the F-150 that I owned had around 120,000 miles and I drive approximately 40000 miles a year and thought I should trade it while I could still get something for the trade in value.

The current Heritage has had very few problems. While still under warranty a hose clamp broke on the bottom radiator hose and was replaced.

I service the truck regularly, but drive it like the wind and would recommend anyone to buy one.

I cannot complain about the gas mileage, although 2 mpg less than the previous truck this one gets around 18 mpg on the highway and is a 4 x 4.

I like this truck so much that I plan on keeping it, hopefully to see the 300,000 mile mark.

Review Date: 20th September, 2005