2007 Ford F150 Reviews

First year of ownership2010
Most recent year of ownership2012
Engine and transmission 5.4 Triton VCT Automatic
Previous carChevrolet Uplander

Summary:

I love this truck, but it's very expensive to maintain! It's awesome and very powerful to drive

The actuators for the 4x4 in the front wheels have gone bad 2 times now (both sides). Had the dealer check them, and they had vacuum leaks, therefore needed to be replaced.

The first time (when I didn't need the 4x4, in the summer), I noticed a lot of noise when accelerating coming from the front of the truck. So I had the universals replaced, only to have it get even worse weeks later. Brought it back; there was a vacuum leak on an actuator on the driver's side, which tore up the wheel bearing. All cost $850 at dealer (out of warranty), and then have been replacing actuators for fun every 9 to 12 months use, even not using 4x4.

Had the motor in the transfer case (4x4 actuator switch) replaced once, not at dealer for $550.

Now my manifold is cracked with 2 studs missing on one side. The dealer has told me studs missing is rare for newer trucks, and the cost to fix is around $1100.

That's not to mention the coil packs... coils get bad very easily in this thing, had to replace all 8, two times now. These things are expensive at a dealer, almost $1000 (Motorcraft). Good thing I found a good after market coil pack that cost less than half price for 8... LOL. Highly recommend after market coils!! You'll figure it out, just ask friends they'll know somebody who's gone through it! Had plugs replaced and they all broke off... cost was $700. Had to replace 2 front calipers, rotors, and pads.

General Comments:

This is a very powerful truck. The 5.4 can tow/pull anything, as long as it is kept up (maintenance). It has unbelievable torque. Can't get stuck in winter, I tried! Has the best 4x4 (when working).

Make sure you can get your oil on time... not for warranty, but to prevent engine gunk... This engine had VCT (Variable Cam Timing), they have cam phasers in the upper part of the engine, which can go bad/gum up, from not changing your oil. I think this is a fault of Ford, but mine had been done just before I bought it... Thankfully, as the general cost is $2400 at a dealer!

Mine has full tow package, and its ride is a little rough, but it's got lots of room.

Hammer down on the throttle, and people are looking for a muscle car at the lights... LOL Ford makes a great sounding V8, and mine has a stock exhaust.

Don't buy this as an everyday family driver; the cost to run is just not practical. Fuel mileage is great for a V8. It gets better than my friend's GMC Envoy V6 4.3. Fill ups at the pumps are expensive; it has a massive tank, and fuel will do for a long while.

Very comfortable driving long distances; I like how I can stretch my left leg out straight... and I'm 6 foot 3".

Review Date: 29th June, 2012

2007 Ford F150 FX2 Super Crew 4.6 from North America

First year of ownership2010
Distance when acquired32000 kilometres
Previous carDodge Caliber

Summary:

Very impressed with its ride and looks

Nothing.

General Comments:

I did a lot of research on buying a used truck, and kept coming back to this vehicle. I test drive many different trucks, and again kept coming back to the FX2. Its style is great, many positive comments from others. The ride is better than expected and it is so roomy. Our family of 4 have been driving it everywhere.

Review Date: 8th August, 2010

2007 Ford F150 XL 4.2 V6 from North America

Engine and transmission 4.2 V6 Manual
Previous carChevrolet S-10

Summary:

I bought it cheap and it hasn't let me down.

The clock never has worked properly. Not since the day I drove it off the lot has it kept time. It loses about 5 minutes a month.

The alignment was awful from the factory. I started to wonder about it and a quick trip to a tire shop confirmed my suspicions.

It leaked power steering fluid - took it to the dealer and they fixed the seal under warranty.

General Comments:

This truck gets awesome gas mileage - driven easily (60 on the interstate), I have gotten as high as 23 mpg, and I have it heavily loaded (off road bumper, camper shell, etc.)

The engine is powerful enough, if a bit loud. But it is a truck, you should expect that. I worry that the transmission is a weak spot - start off with a heavy load on a hill and you will smell the clutch burn.

The cab is quite roomy and comfortable, I love how much space there is behind the seats (this is a regular cab truck) for storage. The truck doesn't like curves, but I didn't buy it because I wanted a sports car. It handles a load and tows well, and that's really all I care about.

Review Date: 18th November, 2008