1992 Ford F250 XLT 7.5 from North America

Summary:

Maintenance pays dividends! Great Truck Ford Loyal

Upper radiator hose failed while towing my 5th-wheel from Sacramento, CA to Ashland, OR.

General Comments:

I bought this truck on a whim idea that I wanted to trade my cozy suburban life in the beautiful Central Valley, California for something more rugged and rural such as the gorgeous Southern Oregon atmosphere. So, as being a adventurous 30 & 36 year olds we traded that life for an exemplary example of a 1992 Ford F-250 4x4 XLT extended cab 7.5/460 gas V8 & automatic and a 10,000 lb 5th wheel.

The truck is far from perfect, as I do love modern conveniences such as Bluetooth, navigation, and a stereo that supports well stereo... it's original and all it's 40 amps of glory. But, I appreciate that all is original and it all works!

I recently brought it to Butler Ford in Ashland, Oregon who upon an inspection said that it was "one of the nicer older Fords brought in." And that it checked out as in good condition and ready to haul.

This was great because I knew little about what correct truck to purchase to tow a 10,000 lb 5th wheel.

Any ways, it's a beast and didn't really fail. The seal broke at the thermostat and I replaced that and the hose plus the therm.

Review Date: 10th November, 2016

1992 Ford F250 XL 7.5L from North America

Summary:

Great truck for the working man

Had to replace 4 push rods. They were bent when I bought it.

Radiator busted and heater core at the same time.

Tie rods went one at a time, till I replaced them all.

Solenoid on the firewall went, then the starter.

Door handle broke the same day I bought it.

Driver's headlight holds water.

Front fuel pump doesn't work. Didn't work when I bought it though.

General Comments:

I have been driving it for about a week now, with only one problem; I got bad gas in it, and it stopped up a few injectors. But honestly, this is a really good running truck. Paid $1500 for it, and now have about $3000 in it.

Have had the truck about a month now. Love the power and ride it has, but the big block 460 does love itself a lot of gas.

It has a lot of room for me, my wife, and my daughter. The true duals make the 460 talk to you as you push the pedal.

It's a long bed, so I can fit as much crap in the back as I need.

Review Date: 6th March, 2011

1992 Ford F250 XLT Supercab 7.5 liter or 460 CID from North America

Lots of rust. Fenders rocker panels, rear wheel arches.

Electrical problems like low output from alternator (it still passes the test at the parts store, but only 51 amps).

Windshield washer pump failed, old switch and wires only supply 9.4 volts to aftermarket pump.

Battery drains down over night, but I added a quick disconnect to prevent this without spending a fortune on new wiring harness and other parts.

Passenger power window wouldn't work, but I fixed it myself.

Power door lock doesn't work.

Back seat is jammed and I can't fold it up.

General Comments:

The big 460 makes 400 ft lbs @ 2200 RPM, and when you rev the engine the whole truck shakes. It will cruise around town between idle and 1500 RPM, but guzzles gas at a rate of 8 MPG. The engine runs out of steam before 3000 RPM (like a NA diesel), and highway mileage is 12 to 14 MPG depending on speed and load.

I thought parts would be cheaper and easier to find, but that's not the case for fuel injected 7.5 L Fords. They changed the engine so much that parts do not interchange with different years of manufacture (92 is the worst year as some parts are different on engines made after April like mine).

The fuel injection makes a huge difference on drivability, as there are no problems starting on really hot or cold days, and it won't stall like earlier carbureted engines.

The 4 speed automatic transmission works great, and the overdrive switch on the shifter comes in handy on hills (it's a big improvement over the AOD trannsmissions that could only be shifted down into second instead of third). I don't have to ride the brakes like other drivers down all the long steep hills in my home town.

The rear ABS brakes work well enough.

Without 4 wheel drive or a locking rear end, the truck doesn't do well in the slippery stuff. There's no aftermarket lockers for the Ford 10.5 inch 12 bolt, unlike the earlier 9 inch or Dana 60 rear ends.

All in all, with prices so low on 1997 and newer models right now, I would suggest you buy a newer F series truck for daily use (5.4 L or diesel as the 4.6 L is weak and the V6 blows head gaskets). And leave these older trucks for occasional use, or as beaters or farm trucks.

I used mine daily for a few months, then only for hauling stuff and it has been just sitting in my driveway for the last year and a half. Gas prices are the main reason I don't drive it. Living downtown it's cheaper to take a bus or cab than pay for gas, insurance and parking. I like mine enough (and I could really use it right now) that I'm going to fix it up. But it would make more sense to buy a newer truck as they've made so many improvements over these older trucks.

Review Date: 23rd July, 2009