2000 Ford Falcon AU 2 4.0 from Australia and New Zealand

Summary:

One super strong car that won't let you down!

Nothing went wrong with the car at all.

General Comments:

Amazing cabin.

Great sound with a Lukey exhaust.

Handles great.

A must is a set of nice 17 inch mags.

Looks great with a nice spoiler.

I wrote it off not long ago, and have spent thousands on new parts. When I spent that much money on it, I could have got a newer model, but this car is worth so much to me.

I have no coolant and no thermo fans, and drove it over 20kms at 100kph to the nearest town after I crashed, and it didn't stop because they have fail-safe cooling system. And it still goes strong today.

Also it took the impact of the crash so well, I didn't move in my seat!

I'm planning on having it for at least another 3 years.

Review Date: 12th March, 2012

2000 Ford Falcon AU 4.0 petrol from Australia and New Zealand

Summary:

Very poor craftsmenship

The shock springs needed replacing.

The exhaust pipe had holes in it, leaking carbon monoxide through the vents! It needed replacing.

The air conditioning unit was faulty and did not work.

The hand brake does not work.

Cruise control had to be fixed.

The CD player was broken and the radio aerial was snapped off.

The boot leaked water after it rained.

The floating power windows do not work; they get stuck when you move them.

The seat belts do not retract.

Central locking key was broken.

Brake pads were worn all the way down.

The seats had tears in them.

There are scratches all over the rear bumper, and the front bumper is holding on by ONE SCREW!!

The cruise control and volume buttons on the steering wheel are broken, and are broken off the steering wheel.

It costs 100 dollars or more to fill the tank, and with casual driving, I'm lucky to get 500 kilometres out of the tank.

General Comments:

There is a rattle and and loud clunk in the right back wheel, which is very noticeable every time you go over a bump.

The steering is off.

There were cigarette burns in the seat.

The car got extremely hot.

All in all, I was very very disappointed with this.

Review Date: 6th February, 2011

6th Feb 2011, 17:10

Nearly all the stuff you've listed here is the result of abuse of this car by either yourself or the previous owner. Things like the holes in the exhaust is a maintenance issue. How can you blame cigarette burns on the seats as the cars fault? You probably bought it for $2000, what do you expect?

7th Feb 2011, 19:09

Sounds like the car has been molested. You need to be more careful choosing / looking after it.

17th Dec 2011, 04:27

Geesh, you won't even pass a warranty with all those things having gone wrong. Sounds like you bought a parts car for your other (better condition) Falcon, and forgot which was which!

21st Jul 2012, 07:38

Sounds like it's been mistreated to me.

2000 Ford Falcon Futura AUII 4.0 from Australia and New Zealand

Summary:

Great car IF it was reliable. Ford, get your act together, you're losing customers

Computer has had to be replaced, sent away for this and off road for one week. Originally took the car into Ford twice, as the car was losing power and cutting out. Ford told us there was nothing wrong with it, sent it with a full tank of gas and got it back with 1/4 of a tank, and we took it our own mechanic who told us straight away the problem with the computer.

Left hand steering rack has been replaced, once again off the road for a week.

Left hand steering rack boot has since leaked and had to be replaced. We have been told by two mechanics this will now be an ongoing problem and will need replacing frequently.

Central locking has had to be replaced twice.

Makes a clonking noise when hot weather, Ford have told us this is not an issue.

Passenger window is sometimes difficult/slow to get up.

Brake switch has just had to be replaced (controls brake lights).

Air conditioning switch has had to be fixed.

Passenger seat belt is now not retracting properly.

General Comments:

We bought this car thinking we would be getting a reliable, comfortable, safe family car capable of towing our son's race car. We got the comfort and size, and a good towing car that is when the car wasn't in the workshop, but as for reliable, forget it! This car has cost us more to keep on the road than any other car we have owned, and we have unfortunately had to keep it 5 years as we couldn't afford to replace it, as every time we went to sell it, it needed more repairs done to it before it could be sold.

We have previously owned Fords, which were always trouble free. Even learnt to drive on a 67 XR Falcon (when they obviously knew how to build them), never let Mum & Dad down and towed the caravan without effort.

We will NEVER buy another Falcon.

The inconvenience of constant breakdowns when you have kids is not great, let alone the cost of the repairs and having no car for several days while it is fixed.

Surprising quite economical on fuel.

For the size the vehicle the boot space is useless.

Review Date: 17th July, 2009

16th Apr 2011, 06:35

I had a '98 AU Falcon series one.

I never had a problem with it, which ran on LPG and towed my car trailer fully laden without a hassle. It was quite reliable.

It sounds like you've just got the lemon of the bunch, and as for Ford's input in regards to the problem, you shouldn't take your car back to the dealership as they don't really help you and they charge like wounded bulls for anything they do or sell. I had to have the A/C fixed once, but this was a minor thing compared to other cars that I've had (VN Commodore wagon which was constantly having problems!).

In the end my AU Falcon got stolen which had me quite annoyed because it was quite good for what I used it for and just general everyday driving.

12th Mar 2012, 01:36

I think you just got a lemon. Never had a problem with my AU, and two other people in my family have them, and have had no problems, they're a great car!