2002 Ford Falcon XR6 4.0 ltr from Australia and New Zealand

Summary:

Run-out rubbish

On delivery, the steering rack need to be replaced, along with ball joints.

There were problems with the differential requiring a fix.

The exhaust system banged and the back suspension was also making noise.

The steering wheel was not aligned properly, and remained incorrect even after a steering rack replacement and alignment.

General Comments:

The build quality on the car was appalling. It was in twice in the first 60 days for repair. The diff was very noisy (it was a LSD)

This car was a replacement for a falcon "S" which Ford eventually bought back from me due to major rust problems (from new)

Given the that I had had a three year battle with Ford to sort out my previous new falcon, I sold the vehicle in frustration within 2000k from new.

The value of the vehicle fell 30% in 60 days, as the model was a run-out (seriers three)

I had major problems selling the car, the dealership giving me a price for which I eventually sold it. New price NZD 48,000, sold at NZD 34,500.

It has nice low down power, and its very easy to exceed 50k round-town. This wasn't helped by the high idle setting, which was to specification.

The suspension setup was inferior to the "S" and just about adequate.

The tires on the vehicle were poor. Wheel-spin was very easy in the wet. This can be cured by getting some decent rubber on the car. The tires were way under speceified for a vehicle this large, and in fact it would step out in the wet with no warning on fast corners.

I will not be buying any more new Ford's.

Review Date: 13th October, 2002

2002 Ford Falcon SR 4.0 from Australia and New Zealand

Summary:

A rip off and boring car

The falcon SR is one of the most boring and dull car I have ever bought. The air-condition didn't even work when I first purchased the car. the horn can't even be heard at times.

General Comments:

Don't ever buy a falcon. your crazy if you do because holden a more expensive, but it is obvious why.

Review Date: 16th July, 2002

12th Oct 2002, 02:31

I find it hard to believe that someone capable of obtaining a brand new car can write such an infantile review. I've just taken possession of a brand new Falcon wagon, the air-con is faultless as is the horn. I had a VT Commodore before (through no fault of my own) and the Falcon beats it on quality, driveability, features, you name it.

2nd Jan 2005, 13:25

I purchased an AU11 SR Falcon Sedan with 25000 KM on the speedometer and the vehicle was in exellent condition. The only thing I am disappointed about the AU11 is lack of performance. I have decided to improve the performance by fitting a K&N air filter, Bocsh Super 4 spark plugs and extractors which I have been assured this will give me at least an other 20KW of power, if this is the case I will be very sartisfied as the rest of the package in the car is exellent.

2002 Ford Falcon XR8 5.0 V8 EFi from Australia and New Zealand

Summary:

The best of the 5.0 V8 Windsors

Repeated headlight failures was traced to incorrect amperage fuse being fitted at dealership.

Power aerial failure at less than 1,000km due to internal wiring issue. Replaced under warranty.

General Comments:

With the 220kW incarnation of the 5 litre V8 Windsor, the AU Falcon now really has the aggression not just the bodykit.

Its exhaust note really does sound inspiring after hearing late model V8's from many brands that are quite dull and boring.

Its suspension provides quite good insulation on rough surfaces and a level of handling more than enough to satisfy most drivers.

Interior wise it doesn't feel too far removed from a normal Falcon, but there are enough creature comforts to keep most people happy, including myself. The stereo (250watts) is pretty good for a factory fitment.

Overall its performance is excellent and will dispatch most other cars from the lights if I'm in the mood.

Very satisfied, now just have to pay it off.

Review Date: 8th June, 2002

9th Sep 2003, 08:51

Congratulations on your new car. But why didn't you buy the XR6T instead? It apparently handles better and has better performance for less money...

3rd Apr 2004, 05:34

I agree with you, I just bought 220kw June 2002 build series 3 and just love it every time I drive it. The exhaust note is just magic (if it sounds that good to me inside the car, I gotta get someone to drive it for me so I can hear it outside). Why not a Turbo instead of a V8? For the same age old reason, NOTHING sounds or feels like V8 than a V8. If the XR6T was 300Kw believe it or not I would still get the V8.

Good Luck.