1997 Ford Fiesta 1.3 petrol from UK and Ireland

Summary:

Unreliable, would not recommend it

Accelerator cable is causing problems.

Bushings worn.

Interior of car is getting raggy.

There is only room for 5 digits on the mile clock, e.g. it now clocks at 66000 miles, but it could be 166000 miles as there is no space for front digit.

General Comments:

Haven't had the car that long and the previous owner would not have driven far in it but it has given me considerable trouble since I bought it.

Cannot rely on it for long journeys.

Review Date: 30th July, 2008

1997 Ford Fiesta Encore 1.3 from UK and Ireland

Summary:

She is sound

Flying bonnet, hit the windscreen.

Two new back tyres.

New battery.

Plugs and leads.

Welding.

General Comments:

I love my little car, but at the moment I have a really bad cutting out problem, she cuts out at every island and every junction she can find, and this is driving me mad, but if I let the throttle off slowly she will tick over. HELP!!! Other than that she is great :o)

Review Date: 27th April, 2008

9th Feb 2009, 15:54

Don't panic, it has been fixed by my boyfriend, cause he worked out what was wrong :o)

1997 Ford Fiesta Si 1.4 from UK and Ireland

Summary:

It is my best friend

The top hinge on the drivers door snapped, and the door nearly fell off a couple of years ago around 45,000 miles.

The rear washer was always temperamental, and eventually passed away about 12 months ago; got another one from the scrap yard, which is also temperamental!

Rear screen only demists on the upper and lower bars, and the middle waits for the heat to stretch across.

Now at the ripe old age of 10, it is drinking oil, and the nearside anti-roll thing is making a lot of noise.

General Comments:

It goes to the garage in a couple of weeks with a plea to my mechanic to save it, as I really love this car, even with the problems. It is the best car I have had, and I feel I will have trouble finding one I like as much for a price I can afford.

It is very comfortable, economical and seriously ticks people off on the motorway when I keep up with all the big boys and pass quite a few of them. It is great cornering as well.

Review Date: 12th September, 2007

1997 Ford Fiesta Chicane 1.4 16v petrol from UK and Ireland

Summary:

Nice engine, shame about the junk it's bolted into

Front lower arm bushes split twice.

Front anti-roll bar bushes split twice.

Front calipers seized.

Heater valve died.

Auxiliary belt tensioner started moaning.

Several oil leaks.

Rear wash wipe packed up.

Remote tailgate release packed up.

Rust bubbles on rear arches in 2003 when it was 6 years old!

Started overheating whenever the heater was turned off. Went in to dealer five times, returned as "fixed" each time, but never got to the bottom of it.

Needing something bigger and being so so sick of the car I part-exed it for a Honda Civic which has never given a day's trouble.

General Comments:

Never, ever will I buy another Ford.

Main dealer supplied, with low mileage and a FSH, it drove beautifully when I got it. Actually, to be fair it drove beautifully when I got rid of it. Just as long as I ignored the £,000's spent on it to keep it that way, and so long as I didn't turn the heater off!

Good points: Zippy, frugal 1.4 Zetec engine pulls well, revs smoothly and returns an easy 35 mpg. Sharp handling.

Bad points: Criminally unreliable, crap build quality, some shocking design flaws which see some parts (suspension bushes) lasting only 18 months before they fail "couldn't care less" attitude of Ford and their dealers. Rust. On a 6 year old car. Ford weren't interested.

The whole car feels like it was built to the lowest possible price. I'm not talking about the interior trim or equipment, but the engineering underneath it. The front suspension is chronically under-engineered, and needs parts replacing almost every year to stop the insane clonking and wandering that accompanies the regular bush failure. The cooling system struggles if the heater is turned off, and the catalogue of stupid, ongoing problems is testament to below-par design and engineering.

Had three older Fords over the years and all have been decent enough cars, but if this is the direction they've taken in recent years, I wouldn't touch another with a ten metre cattle prod.

As a new car it would probably have been brilliant, and I still can't believe how smooth and punchy that little 1400 Zetec engine was. Sadly as a package it was crap. There is no other word for it. It's not like I neglected it either. Serviced exactly to the schedule by the supplying dealer, regularly washed and polished, and not thrashed about. I hate to think how much they disintegrate if abused.

Review Date: 1st April, 2006

25th Aug 2007, 11:01

I bought my son a new 1999 Fiesta Zetec 1.25 and agree with the previous comments, in that there are under engineered parts in the area of the suspension. These must be replaced after a short life span, and represent problems that I have never had in almost 40 years of driving.

Also the rear calipers burst/leaked, and the poor design means that the rear brake pipes above the flexi hose corrode rapidly.

On the positive side, this small car handles well and the engine has been reliable. Also, an initial 3 year free insurance offer for a 17 year old learner was attractive, so I cannot grumble too much.