2005 Ford Fiesta Zetec 1.6litre 'Duratec' 16-valve DOHC from Australia and New Zealand

Summary:

Best new car under $20k in Australia

The only 'problem' was the aluminium plate on the gear lever was poorly glued on and would come off in the sun.

General Comments:

Awesome handling. AWESOME handling. Needs more power to match it, but the suspension/steering/brakes don't need to be touched. Very well made, comfortable too. Drinks a bit for a 1.6 though.

Review Date: 2nd April, 2007

2005 Ford Fiesta Supercharger 1.0 from Colombia

Summary:

Great engine, looks and handling... brakes don't match its performance

At 500 kilometers the brakes felt too long when pressing the pedal, I went to the dealer and they adjusted the rear drum brakes. It felt better for like 100 kilometers before it felt long again. Now I got used to long braking and not riding too close to the car in front. Features like ABS brakes are not available for this model in Colombia so I guess this is the reason for the poor breaking.

The remote stopped working at 8000 kilometers. I took it to the dealer and they adjusted a pin in the ECU (Electronic Control Unit), I would have preferred a new ECU, but the dealer assured that if the problem repeated, even out of warranty, they would replace it, so far no more problems with the remote.

At 10000 kilometers the battery died. I was on a road trip and everything seemed well, parked the car, and when I tried to start it the next day it would not. The dealer replaced the battery even though the battery warranty period had expired.

General Comments:

The engine is a Supercharged 1.0 liter which outputs 95 HP @ 6000 RPM. I live in Bogota which is about 2600 meters above sea level and there is no power loss at all. Versus similar cars in its category, like the Renault Clio, my car always kicks off a stop light first.

The gear box ratios are very short, excellent for our mountain like geography, but not too good on fuel economy. I can go as fast as a 2.0 liter car when going up hill, but the final speed is not too high. Anyhow I am not as crazy as to usually ride at 160 kilometers per hour. The car could go faster if it wasn't for the gear ratios.

Best cornering that I have experienced. The car is very obedient, and this is very important in our curly and narrow roads. The shift knob is somewhat hard, and shifting is not as exact and soft as my previous Mazda.

The seats are somewhat hard, but you get used to it. If you are driving for long, stop a least every two hours to stretch out.

Review Date: 22nd December, 2006

28th Jun 2007, 11:56

Sadly, my experience with the car is not as happy as yours, I've lost a hose, and that caused that the thermostat base brokes. That part comes in metal in most cars, but in this car is plastic. That cost me lot of money and that makes me sad.

2005 Ford Fiesta st 2.0 duratech 16v from UK and Ireland

Summary:

Nippy enough and comfortable to drive

General Comments:

This car is pretty quick off the mark.

However you have to rev it a lot to get the most out of the power.

Handling is fantastic.

After a few mods I got a lot more power out of the engine bringing it on par with the Renault Clio sport.

But with the added extra of better handling.

Review Date: 8th December, 2006

2005 Ford Fiesta LX 1.4i petrol from UK and Ireland

Summary:

Unreliable. Awful. I will never buy another Ford!

Gearbox/Clutch Problems (6/7 Times - still unresolved), Fuel Gauge broken, Rear seat mechanism broken, Bonnet cable seized, 2 new clutches in 22,000 miles (which Ford have admitted is not due to my driving!! I am a sensible driver!).

Also, when changing the clutch the first time, the dealership failed to do up an Engine mounting - the engine fell down onto the drive train while I was going along. The RAC have rescued me twice.

General Comments:

When I collected the car new, I was impressed by the beefier body and safety features. There is also a lot of room in the vehicle (it's one of the larger super minis). The sound system is also very pleasing given that it is standard. This, however, is where the "Pro's" end for me...

Apart from all the problems mentioned above, I find the car bland and relatively unappealing in terms of performance and handling, and looks. The seats are very uncomfortable and too short, especially noticeable on long journeys where there is no back/side support and a laughable headrest.

The interior pattern is bland and very difficult to keep clean, and the dashboard and all instrument panels are very 'plasticky'.

I find the gearbox is absolutely awful, and the gear shift is situated in a rather odd place - further forward than you'd expect for a small car, but not overly noticeable until you've been driving it a while. I find the gears are also too close together and too stiff - it's annoying to say the least!

The Windscreen Wipers are completely ineffective (as we've found over 4 Fiesta Mark 6's), and by FAR the most annoying thing is the visibility - I have to do a LOT of parallel parking, and my old Vauxhall Corsa did this like a dream. The Fiesta is hard to see out of the back and also to judge where the front exactly is, and there are strange overhangs where you don't expect them to be.

The dealership are always, without exception, patronising and uncooperative (to me and my family who all have Fords there), and apart from causing a lot of the problems themselves, are generally unhelpful and will often not look under the bonnet or road test the car if they 'think' they know what is the problem. (This has led to me being told that they are 'unable to reproduce faults' when I have explicitly mentioned that they are intermittent).

Apart from this, I've just found the car to be generally tacky and unreliable - a true "Friday Afternoon" car!

Review Date: 15th September, 2006