2010 Ford Flex Limited 3.5 twin turbo from North America

Summary:

Great vehicle, although it looks like a shipping crate with wheels - the style grows on you

Had noise from the brakes a couple of times at around 10.000 km - dealer took it in and replaced pads, turned rotors as per TSB 10-05-06. Very happy with the Flex so far.

General Comments:

- Overall a great vehicle.

- Middle seats are like being in a limo, lots of room.

- Cup holders in front are not made for small/medium size cups, hard to get smaller coffee cups out of holders.

- Ecoboost is great, more power than needed.

- Electronic steering is more positive than power steering.

Review Date: 10th April, 2010

2009 Ford Flex SE 3.5 from North America

Summary:

Solid and functional

Center console latch spring came off.

General Comments:

So far so good. No issues.

Had a Windstar, which was god awful, so was reluctant to get into another Ford, however the Ford dealer took mercy on me and gave me the KBB value for trade in on it. I test drove the Taurus X, the GMC Acadia and a Sante Fe, and was immediately sold after test driving the Flex. It just felt more solid than any of the others.

The Acadia was real nice, but more expensive, and the Flex interior I liked a little better.

Only one minor complaint is the gas pedal. The engine is rated at 265, but engine power band is flat until higher rpm or the gas pedal is not doing much the first 2/3 of the way down. Could be the tranny programming too, but it just seems like it takes a lot of foot to get the thing to get up and go to pass. Other than that, I am pretty happy.

Review Date: 18th January, 2010

18th Apr 2012, 12:50

Update to original posting. Have 73K miles on this Flex. So far nothing major other than the PCM needed to be re flashed when the engine starting surging under light throttle. Dealer was quick and helpful. Cost was $106.00 to re flash the PCM. So far so good.

2010 Ford Flex Limited 3.5 from North America

Summary:

We love it!

New Car: Nothing has gone wrong.

Old Car: Passenger seat was terribly uncomfortable, drivers seat was a little better. Had noise in wheel bearings that could not be located.

General Comments:

We love the Flex. It is extremely comfortable for driver and passengers. It glides down the road. It handles wonderfully. A lot of storage. The Flex has style and comfort. After having 2 mini-vans, it feels nice to have both. A good compromise between a mini-van and a sedan.

I wish the passenger could set the destination on the navigation system.

I wish the lights could be run on auto during the day.

Review Date: 14th December, 2009

30th Mar 2011, 06:40

You can leave the lights on auto at anytime. Maybe you don't have daytime running lights though.

31st Dec 2011, 12:22

Leave your headlight switch on the Auto setting (with or without the fog lights on), and the lights will come on and off on their own. Even if it's daylight and you turn on the windshield wipers, the lights will come on automatically.

2009 Ford Flex SEL 3.5L Duratec from North America

Summary:

Smooth, roomy, comfort!

Nothing.

General Comments:

This, so far, is one of the best cars I've ever owned.

When this car first came out I thought, UGLY! But when I took this for a test drive I was sold. The exterior grew on me.

So far I haven't had any problems, though one of the doors seems like it doesn't close like the rest of them.

One thing I should mention is that if you have more than 5 people that you plan on hauling (assuming you have the 7 seater), the cargo area behind the third row is almost useless for long trips.

I went tailgating with 6 people including myself (I have a 6-seater) and it got pretty tight. Luckily I have rail bars on the Flex if I get into a pinch.

Other then that no regrets at all, I love the Flex!!

Review Date: 3rd December, 2009

4th Dec 2009, 15:17

I just have to ask... Why did you bother driving it if you thought it was ugly? I don't tend to have any further interest in a car if I find it unattractive from the start. First impressions are everything after all... Just wondering.

10th Dec 2009, 11:58

Yes, My wife and I were at the dealership waiting to test drive a Ford Edge. While waiting, we got in a Flex and were really impressed. Then we test drove it, just for fun. We were impressed some more. The impressive ride and interior made the exterior styling not so hurtful on the eyes... to finally loving it, due to its unique look!

30th Mar 2011, 06:46

I have always believed you should consider vehicles within your budget and fits your needs. Cosmetics are just cosmetics. We too were not nuts about the styling, but now we love it and absolutely LOVE the vehicle. It's got good power, hauls people and stuff easily and gets decent gas mileage to boot; plus it doesn't look like every other car on the road!

31st Mar 2011, 09:37

15:17: I thought "you shouldn't judge a book by its cover?"

18th Apr 2011, 21:52

Lots of things will grow on you. Look at the Prius, when they first came out I thought they were the ugliest thing on earth, and now it's no big deal. The first vehicle I thought of when I saw the Flex was an early 60's Chevy panel truck. Very boxy, yet cool look to it.

22nd Feb 2013, 22:12

One of the best interiors in a car in a long time. Methinks Jaguar, Land Rover and Volvo all had influence here.

The exterior is at odds with current trends. Its brother, the Lincoln MKT is a more contemporary version.

I find the Lincoln MKT hideous, and the Flex attractive.