Good car with some faults
Nothing at all.
First the nice things:
1. Impressive gas mileage: Got 36.5mpg on a recent 300 mile trip, almost entirely highway, averaging 65-70mph, all windows down, sunroof open.
2. Has a handy "overdrive off" switch for highway driving and steep hills.
3. Sync system is pretty easy to use.
4. Despite some hard plastic, I felt the interior was quite nice and solid-looking, no squeaks or rattles. Even with the optional sunroof.
5. The ride is nice for a small car with 16" wheels and relatively low-profile tires.
6. Huge trunk, even with the 8" subwoofer stealing some of the space.
7. Decent backseat room.
On to the not great stuff:
1. Overdrive gear is too tall for this car in the northeast. At 75mph you are only doing about 2500rpms, and most of the highways around here are 55-65mph speed limits.
2. Gear spacing is too wide... there is a BIG power dropoff when going full throttle 1st to 2nd. Granted, it is a 4spd auto, but I've driven 4 speeds that were more efficiently spaced.
3. Drivers armrest is too hard, causing me elbow pain on long drives.
4. While quieter than my previous Mercury Milan 4 cylinder (07), the engine does get rather boomy during moderate acceleration.
5. Handling is merely OK... based on my understanding, this era of Focus had the suspension significantly softened compared to previous generations. More body lean in cornering than I expected.
6. The "Audiophile" sound system is rather disappointing in sound quality... despite the 8" trunk mounted subwoofer, there seems to be a dearth of bass/midbass for rock music, although I'm sure really low bass heavy music such as rap & r&b would be just fine.
7. Drivers seat thigh support merely adequate... feels a bit saggy under your left leg.
Would you buy another car from this manufacturer? Yes
Review Date: 10th August, 2010