2010 Ford Focus Zetec 1.6 petrol from UK and Ireland

Summary:

Generic text book example of a car

Wheel bearings, springs front and back, exhaust back box.

Radio fades in and out, probably aerial damaged/giving up, not bothered as I always have a CD on.

Engine a little noisier now but no problems, gearbox is also solid. I did every oil change on time and belt change/inspection.

Cosmetically, no major rust apart from a small blister on the wing. Bonnet is slightly faded. Alloy wheels looking rough, need a professional refurbishment.

Only broke down once due to a flat battery that I should have replaced as it was the original and getting very old, so my fault.

General Comments:

This 2010 Focus has been my main transport for seven years. I like the car but my original thought when buying it was it was nothing more than basic transport. To be fair it has been just that and done its job without too much hassle; it is a very easy car to live with.

The dark blue metallic paint with the alloy wheels looks very sharp, and the car has good looks for a run of the mill car. I reckon if it had been less common, people would noticed more how good this car looks. One of the best generation of Focus's looks wise in my opinion.

Inside the dash looks weird. The top half looks like a spaceship, the bottom looks like it is from the 1990's. It's like two generations of dashboard in one. Very dull and grey. Zetec model has lots of equipment and is very comfortable though.

Not a car to drive for the fun of it, but the 1.6 petrol has good acceleration and economy. You can expect around 40 miles per gallon on average. I've heard the diesel versions do in excess of 50 miles per gallon, which is wonderful but apparently they are expensive to fix and not quite as reliable as a petrol engine in this car. Gear change is smooth and the car handles very nicely.

Really hard to say anymore about it. I've had lots of cars, going back to the 1980's, which also included an Escort. Of course this Focus is light years ahead of that. But is just such a dull modern car with no character. Easy to live with, and the above problems were mostly wear and tear expected of the mileage on any car. Highly recommended if you want hassle free motoring and cheap repairs; do not expect anything exciting unless you go for the faster versions.

Review Date: 7th May, 2021

16th Jul 2021, 19:20

A Vauxhall Astra from the same time period is similar. Dull cars, but reliable if looked after. All cars in the family hatchback segment are the same nowadays.

13th Dec 2021, 17:46

Agreed, the Focus is a fine car, but they are all the same nowadays, certainly cars in the family hatchback segment. As long as you find a good looked after one buying used, it is hard to go wrong.

2010 Ford Focus TDCi 2.0 turbo diesel from Australia and New Zealand

Summary:

Excellent long distance tourer, as well as being practical

To date, there has been nothing wrong with it.

General Comments:

The Focus is the underrated seller in this segment. It combines performance with excellent fuel economy. The suspension is just right. With great handling and compliant ride, the Focus out handles many larger cars.

Some minor irritations, such as poor interior lighting and a very sharp take up of the clutch. Another irritation is the radio, which tends to have major FM stations not sound as good as they should.

Review Date: 28th September, 2012

17th Oct 2012, 06:16

I have the 2007 LT version of your car. Have had it since new, and will keep it until the wheels fall off (it's worth barely half what I paid for it now).

I have around 72,000km on it now, and I'm still on the original tyres, which have at least another 10K left in them.

The only warranty issues I've had were the CD player packed up very early and a centre drive line bearing went at 35,000km.

The battery died in early 2011 right before the Brisbane floods; that was expensive.

I've had minor electrical issues, such as the boot light sometimes takes ages to come on, the glovebox light switch stayed on so it needed adjustment, and the 3.5mm Aux socket in the glovebox is stuffed, so I will remove it and solder in a permanent plug lead instead, eventually.

You are right, the interior lighting is utterly woeful, however I'm very impressed with the headlights, especially after installing some Plus 90 H7's.

I absolutely love driving it. I drive a lot of rental cars (Corolla's, I30's etc) for my work, and my TDCi Focus is better to drive than all of them. Last year I drove it down to Hobart and back from Brisbane, with 3 people plus luggage for most of the way, and it was great; 1000+km out of a tank unless fully loaded.

The only thing I don't like is the 1-2 gear shift can be notchy when it's cold; it gradually got worse after around 30,000km. Slightly improved with a gearbox oil change, and hasn't got any worse since then. Now it's out of warranty, I might take it to a gearbox specialist for their opinion.

My favourite part of the car is the engine. My first TD, and I can't see myself ever going back to a petrol engine.

6th Apr 2013, 04:14

Glad to see we agree. My car has covered 50 000 km and I have consistently bettered the 5.6L/100 km fuel economy. Have found when the tank is full, the Kms from full to empty can vary, despite me filling the tank to the brim. Very odd. Just as odd was the car lost some power on one country trip and resorted to a limp home mode. Started it two days later, computer reset itself and has never done it again. Could have been dirty fuel.

Still an excellent car. Handles superbly and still very enjoyable to drive.