10th Sep 2007, 15:13

I am wishing you good luck on getting new tires. (check the Tire Rack for reviews). I had similar experiences with tire balancing as the reviewer had. I have the feeling that most shops have balancing machines that don't spin the wheels fast enough. I never had this issue in Germany and I remember that they spun the tires at much higher speeds. Here in the USA the perfectionist may need to go to a racing shop to get his everyday wheels properly balanced.

25th Oct 2007, 11:47

The Focus is definitely a very exceptional car. We had a 2001 ZX-3 with the large alloys and wide tires and we never had a problem at all with vibration from them (or anything else on the car). I'd opt for better tires even if you have to pay for them.

The Focus is only very slightly behind Consumer Reports top-rated Civic (which costs THOUSANDS more) and is several notches above the Corolla in quality and dependability.

Congrats on a very fine, reliable economy car with excellent handling and performance.

21st Dec 2007, 06:49

As for Goodyear Tires, most are nothing but chewing gum except for the Comfortreds I have on my car. They stay balanced, are unbelievably absent of squirm, make my Corolla more stable in wind and have cut the road noise by 50%. If you have Goodyear tires now, go to their factory Gemini store and they will usually work you a deal on the upgrade tires. Don't expect a lot though, cus the OEM stuff is cheap to begin with.

10th Apr 2008, 10:36

Re: Tires. Go to a pro shop. Also, do all 4 tires. It is possible that you have a bad rim. I know this from experience, and how aggravating it can be to have unbalanced tires. Just pay the extra bucks yourself. For new tires I highly recommend www.TireRack.com. Read the reviews. Often a local shop will almost match the cost from TireRack, and give you free rotation and balance.

18th Apr 2008, 15:16

I hope your Focus is still doing great. I just noticed that Ford has increased production of the Focus by 30% to handle the increased demand (sales were up 23% last quarter).

As for the tires, I just put a set of Khumo all weather AA traction-rated tires on my GM compact and I have NEVER seen such an amazing improvement in handling and braking!! It handles better than it ever has, no longer spins on fast take-offs, and stops in about 2/3 of the previous distance. I upgraded to a 2:15/60 size.

I knew nothing about Khumo except that they are included in many high-performance wheel packages for Mustangs (I own one of those also). They cost just over HALF of what a set of Michelins (which our other GM car has) does.

Don't let poor tires discourage your enjoyment of your Focus. Our 2001 ZX-3 was a really awesome little car and never required a single repair. It was so much better than our old Civic, there is no comparison.

12th Jan 2015, 03:36

Original poster again...

Had the dealer change the ATF at 60k, a couple years ago. The Ford dealer used aftermarket BG brand fluid. AT shifted funny after that. Going to switch back to Motorcraft AFT at 120k miles (about 9 months away).

Still on OE brakes, front & rear.

The PS pump started leaking, about 5k before the warranty expired. Dealer changed out and all is fine to this day.

OE battery died at 5 years... no big surprise

OE serpentine belt, tensioner, and rollers were replaced right around 100k miles, after one of the rollers started making a noise.

OE motor mounts were shot by 70k miles. They were causing the typical Ford Focus/Mazda3 engine noise problem, and by 100k, the noise and vibrations were unbearable. I changed the mounts, DIY, with OE mounts for about $200 and 2 hours on a Saturday afternoon.

Overall, and so-far, the Focus has held up pretty well. Frankly, better than I expected.

Based on this experience with Ford, I'd buy a new Focus, tomorrow, if it weren't for that blasted PowerShift DCT (...and my wife's inability to drive a manual)!