2007 Ford Focus Zetec Climate 1.6 from UK and Ireland

Summary:

It is what it is

4 new tyres, £230.

Service, £100.

MOT, £25.

Wiper blades, £10.

Back brakes fixed under warranty.

Steering fluid pipe, £288.

Suspension coil, shock absorber, front bushes and suspension arm, £600.

General Comments:

Brought my Focus in January as I needed something that would cope with the motorway commute to work. I paid £2695 for a 1.6 Zetec spec with average mileage.

So far I've had to replace the tyres, which cost £230. In the first month the hand brake wasn't holding the car. So it got checked and the rear brakes were fixed under warranty. On a drive back from Devon, the steering felt heavy. I took the car to a garage and there was a leak coming from the steering fluid pipe, which cost £288 to fix. Recently got the car serviced and MOT'd in which it failed on the suspension.

I had to have new front brushes and a suspension coil and shock absorber on the back. The car gave the garage no end of trouble as some of the parts are Ford only and the bolts wouldn't come undone, which resulted in them being sheared off and the suspension arm being replaced. The car was in for repair for nearly a week whilst waiting on parts. Total cost for the work/repairs was £600.

The car itself is one of the nicest cars I've driven, if a little predictable. I'm averaging 40 MPG mostly doing a motorway commute to work of 30 miles each way. I find the Focus fairly comfy and I like the heated front windscreen. Though I do like the car, I'm left a little disappointed because of the amount of time it's been in for repair.

Review Date: 3rd September, 2016

2007 Ford Focus SE 2.0 Duratec from North America

Summary:

Miles ahead of the Festiva, yet somehow NOT a Ferrari. It's just a Focus!

Right front wheel bearing went at around 70,000 miles.

Lost the transmission at 132,000.

Finally had to replace the factory brakes at... 117,000 (highway) miles.

The floor mat, carpet, and padding on the driver's side, are worn through in two spots from the heels of my shoes.

At 142,000, the suspension needs to be serviced for the first time.

The airbag lights come on from time to time, after a TV I was transporting slammed into the passenger dash while I was braking hard.

Driver's seat back cushioning is wearing out pretty badly, forcing me to admit to having a bit of a center lean when I drive.

General Comments:

Bought the car brand new from a dealer in Canton, Ohio back in late '07. SE model, with both the safety and convenience packages, and 5-speed transmission. 80% of the 142,000 miles are highway, hence being able to go over 115,000 miles on the stock brakes.

It's been to Iowa and back 4 times, D.C., NYC, Canada... even had a 2nd life in Pittsburgh for a while. 6 Ohio winters later, and still not a hint of rust. I even managed a trip to Pittsburgh with bald front tires during the winter of 2010 with no real issues in the snow... only bumped into one fence in Lawrenceville... (sorry).

It's certainly not a race car, and it's not quick enough to put a big smile on your face... but it's an entry-level Ford; if you expect more than entry-level performance, you're foolish. It's more than quick enough to gain speed on an entrance ramp to be above that of the traffic flow, and has ample passing power... though I've read that if properly set up, it can handle a 50 shot of nitrous with no reliability issues ;)... really want to try that one!

...but I digress. I beat the hell out of the car for the first year of ownership. I've had all four tires off the ground, and I've taught two people how to drive stick with it... so the tranny crapped out at 132,000, but I was lucky enough to have a mechanic who found a 5-speed out of an '09 Focus, with only 9,000 miles on it. That, and a new clutch and some bearings for good measure, and I'm hoping to get close to 250,000 before I have any more major problems. It surprises me to type this, but it's been a GREAT car. I plan to drive it until the wheels fall off... or I find a nice 94-96 Fleetwood/Roadmaster wagon to replace it with ;)

Review Date: 8th September, 2013

21st Sep 2013, 00:32

Better choice, had a 94 Caprice & I'd buy another. Gotta be the LT1!

22nd Sep 2013, 19:27

Yeah! The Roadmasters and Fleetwoods both had the LT1 as well... along with the Impala.

24th Aug 2015, 18:15

I agree, a very good car. Taken it on a 400 mile trip twice since I owned it. Bought it last year in 2014. A 2007 Ford Focus SE 2.0 Manual Sedan. This car is sluggish at the bottom end, but at the top end in 5th gear, it picks up fast. I have a cold air intake also, so that might give it a bump from its standard 136 horses. I did the trip in about 3 hours each time, because I was doing 70 mph and above; sometimes even 110, but most of the time 80-100 mph no problem. This car goes and the needle really moves up there too. Great car, no real problems yet. The car has a rumbling noise at the back suspension bearing or something, and it rattles and shakes a little bit, causing the passenger side of the car seat to sometimes vibrate, but not when there is weight on the right side of the car. But overall a great car so far. Drove it over 10k miles and it's great. Had it just over a year.