2007 Ford Focus Reviews

Year of manufacture2007
Most recent year of ownership2013
Engine and transmission 2.0 Duratec Manual
Most recent distance142000 miles

Summary:

Miles ahead of the Festiva, yet somehow NOT a Ferrari. It's just a Focus!

Right front wheel bearing went at around 70,000 miles.

Lost the transmission at 132,000.

Finally had to replace the factory brakes at... 117,000 (highway) miles.

The floor mat, carpet, and padding on the driver's side, are worn through in two spots from the heels of my shoes.

At 142,000, the suspension needs to be serviced for the first time.

The airbag lights come on from time to time, after a TV I was transporting slammed into the passenger dash while I was braking hard.

Driver's seat back cushioning is wearing out pretty badly, forcing me to admit to having a bit of a center lean when I drive.

General Comments:

Bought the car brand new from a dealer in Canton, Ohio back in late '07. SE model, with both the safety and convenience packages, and 5-speed transmission. 80% of the 142,000 miles are highway, hence being able to go over 115,000 miles on the stock brakes.

It's been to Iowa and back 4 times, D.C., NYC, Canada... even had a 2nd life in Pittsburgh for a while. 6 Ohio winters later, and still not a hint of rust. I even managed a trip to Pittsburgh with bald front tires during the winter of 2010 with no real issues in the snow... only bumped into one fence in Lawrenceville... (sorry).

It's certainly not a race car, and it's not quick enough to put a big smile on your face... but it's an entry-level Ford; if you expect more than entry-level performance, you're foolish. It's more than quick enough to gain speed on an entrance ramp to be above that of the traffic flow, and has ample passing power... though I've read that if properly set up, it can handle a 50 shot of nitrous with no reliability issues ;)... really want to try that one!

...but I digress. I beat the hell out of the car for the first year of ownership. I've had all four tires off the ground, and I've taught two people how to drive stick with it... so the tranny crapped out at 132,000, but I was lucky enough to have a mechanic who found a 5-speed out of an '09 Focus, with only 9,000 miles on it. That, and a new clutch and some bearings for good measure, and I'm hoping to get close to 250,000 before I have any more major problems. It surprises me to type this, but it's been a GREAT car. I plan to drive it until the wheels fall off... or I find a nice 94-96 Fleetwood/Roadmaster wagon to replace it with ;)

Review Date: 8th September, 2013

21st Sep 2013, 00:32

Better choice, had a 94 Caprice & I'd buy another. Gotta be the LT1!

22nd Sep 2013, 19:27

Yeah! The Roadmasters and Fleetwoods both had the LT1 as well... along with the Impala.

2007 Ford Focus ZX4 ST 2.3 I4 from North America

Model year2007
Year of manufacture2006
Most recent year of ownership2011
Engine and transmission 2.3 I4 Manual

Summary:

Excellent car overall

Engine blown at 11500 miles.

General Comments:

Terrific fun to drive. Handling/steering/shifting belies the price.

Engine feels much more lively than 151 horses -- the torque of 150 lb ft likely helps.

Reliable -- No issues except the blown engine (I have no idea how the previous owner used/abused the car -- and Ford replaced it no questions asked),

All the comfort I need -- Leather/heated seats/Factory Sony 6-disk in dash mp3 with 500W/sunroof at a very very reasonable price point.

Review Date: 19th August, 2011

2007 Ford Focus ST3 2.5 turbo petrol from UK and Ireland

Year of manufacture2007
First year of ownership2010
Most recent year of ownership2011
Engine and transmission 2.5 turbo petrol Manual
Most recent distance32000 miles
Previous carFord Galaxy

Summary:

OK, but never again

Nothing in the time I had it.

General Comments:

I really liked it at first, but I would never buy a front wheel drive car with this kind of power again; it's great in the dry, which is not very often in the UK. If the road was even slightly damp, it would result in the traction control kicking in, or turn that off, and wheel spin in the first 4 gears.

The fuel economy was an eye opener after running diesels for 5 years; quite similar to a V8 Lexus I once had. Only did 16mpg in the winter, though was around 22mpg in warmer weather.

It was really nice to drive in a steady manner, the gearbox was slick and the handling good for a front driver.

The heated leather Recaro's were a nice touch, as was the Sony stereo. I miss the xenon headlamps also.

Review Date: 14th August, 2011

17th Apr 2012, 05:21

Thank you very much, I'm 17 looking to buy my 1st car (doing it early because family has auto I want manual) and am looking at the Focus Zetec, TDCI and Golf and so on. The Focus are the ones I'm looking at closer due to price being around $4000 AUD cheaper.

So good to see someone post about a car they have had for more than a couple of months! Most of what I see here is people who have had the car for less than 6 months, which they really haven't had time to experience any downfalls, so give raving reviews, which can be misleading.