2007 Ford Focus TDCi 2.0L turbo diesel from Australia and New Zealand

Summary:

Ford Australia's best kept secret

CD player stopped working at 2700km, fixed under warranty.

Rattles from under front passenger seat, after several tries managed to mostly fix by dousing the whole slider mechanism with silicon lubricant.

Clicking noises from drivers seat when taking left hand turns, dealer couldn’t hear it (of course) so have attempted to fix myself, have had some success so far.

Rattles from rear left quarter window, comes and goes.

Car has more rattles and clicks than any car I’ve previously owned including an ’86 Corolla (NZ built, sold with 200,000km), ’90 EA Falcon (NZ built, sold with 224,000km) and a ’93 626 wagon (Japan built, sold with 260,000km). I’m not sure if build quality is the issue (South African built) or if it’s design flaws (blame Germany).

No mechanical issues have surfaced yet. It has a 5 year 100,000km warranty instead of the usual 3 years, Ford were giving away an extra 2 years for free when I bought it.

General Comments:

This is the first passenger diesel that Ford Australia introduced and is currently only available in LX hatch 6 speed manual spec. The LX is the middle of the range model here but the diesel version is badged the TDCi. Costs A$4000 more than the petrol LX. We also have the new Mondeo diesel which uses the same engine but is 6 speed auto only (lift-back or sedan only at the moment).

Mine was the first one the dealer sold (the demo) and has just had it’s first proper service (15,000 km). I thought I would write the review after having it for 9 months and a few thousand km’s, rather than do what some do and write a review after 2 days and 200km.

Without doubt the best parts of the car are the engine and gearbox. The engine’s torque is phenomenal, you can overtake anything in top gear and it just rockets once the turbo’s kicked it. At 110kph it’s only revving at 2000rpm in 6th. The gearbox itself is the best I’ve ever driven, the changes are snick snick smooth, whereas the 6sp gearbox in my work vehicle (’07 Holden 3.6L SV6 Utility) are crunch crunch rough, and it’s also gutless in comparison, most noticeable when passing someone- it needs to be chucked back into 4th to get some decent power. And it drinks like an alcoholic in comparison.

Fuel use has been as Ford claims (5.6L per 100km overall), have had as low as around 4.6L per 100km open road and around 5.8L around town. Diesel was A$1.30 per litre when I bought it in Sep ‘07, is now over A$1.80 per litre in Brisbane.

Handling is excellent, as the Focus is known for. But road noise is quite loud on course chip roads, which the Focus is also known for.

Don’t like the lack of interior lights, only 1 by the mirror and no ignition key light. My 626 had them all over the place. Also not keen on the hard plastics on the doors or the unsupportive seats with no lumbar adjustment or side bolstering(middle spec after all, but still!). The superb handling is wasted on these seats. Would love to get the Recaro seats out of a wrecked XR5 Turbo (aka ST overseas) if I can find some. Don’t like the plastic engine oil dipstick, hope it doesn’t snap off in the engine one day. Am now used to the indicator and wiper controls being reversed compared to cars of RHD origin. Now I sometimes find myself flipping the wipers on the Holden by accident when I’m turning. Don’t like that I have to hit the air recirculate button every time I start it. I prefer to drive without everyone else’s fumes around me.

Love the fact the air-con doesn’t hamper performance at all. Also love that if I’m being tailgated, I just put my foot down and they get a vent load of diesel smoke!

All in all a good little performer, with only the interior noises letting it down so far.

Review Date: 4th July, 2008

22nd Jul 2008, 02:52

Welcome to the world of Turbo Diesels. When you've started there's no way back ;-)

10 years back I told myself that there's no way I'm driving a diesel. But here I am on my third turbo diesel. I had the Focus TDCI before, and its engine and transmission can rival anything on the market, including Audi/VW, BMW and compact MB's.

But it's clear that Ford has cut some corners to get the cost down. Yes, it is quite noisy and the interior seem very cheap. My seats were supportive and very comfortable, but I had upgraded seats/interior which is a "must have" on these cars. I had a rental for a day, which was one of the entry level versions, and my back started to ache after one hour of driving.

2007 Ford Focus SE Sedan 2.0 from North America

Summary:

Good value for the money

So far, the only thing that has gone wrong on my 2007 Focus SE is a bad battery (which Ford replaced under warranty), and I replaced all tires with Michelin Touring tires (80,000 mile). Within 2 weeks of owning the vehicle, one tire popped and another one leaked air. I did not like the quality of the tires, so I replaced them. I'm glad I had one of those tire inflation cans, because it was raining hard the day I got a flat! I was not about to change a tire on the side of the highway.

Makes a funny squeaky sound over bumps during cold mornings..... where's it coming from?

Those oil changing places flooded my engine with oil, and my spark plugs were soaked with oil, and I replaced the spark plugs with Autolite Iridium Xtreme. My car runs good now.

Happy Camper... :)

General Comments:

My friend has a banged up 1995 4 dr. automatic Mercury Tracer (or Escort), and he has over 100,000 miles on it with no major problems. I thought, how bad could a 2007 Focus be?

The interior and overall quality build is acceptable for the price, and meets my basic transportation needs. I hear a lot folks complaining about the seats, dashboard, quality, etc... but in this "compact" car segment, the Focus is a good deal. Toyota Corolla's are over priced with similar options (and a smaller engine/car).

I bought it to save money on gas and get reliable transportation that's fun to drive too.

It's my second American car (I usually buy Nissans).

The Focus does the job. I have extras like alloy wheels and sunroof (which I love). I've been calculating my gas, and I get about 33-34 miles per gallon (Automatic Transmission), if I take it easy with the accelerator and drive normal. For those who love to constantly pass up cars on the highway, gun the car during stop signs/traffic lights or love to speed over 65, your mileage will drop under 30!

Review Date: 21st June, 2008