2006 Ford Fusion SEL I4 from North America

Summary:

It has been a great car

I bought this car new, and for the first 105,000 miles, the only thing, other than regularly scheduled maintenance, was an inside door handle under warranty, and replaced a thermostat for $200.00 (it was winter and I paid a mechanic to do this repair).

At 105,000 miles I did a tune up, which was very inexpensive compared to my wife's Honda V6.

Between 105,000-117,568 miles I had to change my eight year old battery, change the smog pump, repair the radio display, replace sway bar endlinks, and the two lower control arms on the driver's side.

General Comments:

Overall I think this car has been great.

It has managed to live through three teenage drivers, and snowy, pothole riddled, New England roads for nine years.

I do my own maintenance, and I find this car extremely easy to work on. I am not a mechanic, but with Google and YouTube, and a little patience, I have been able to do the repairs myself.

I have had a few repair issues in the last 10k miles or so, but I think with the miles and the age of the car, it is to be expected.

I plan on keeping it for the next two or three years, and will probably buy another Fusion.

Review Date: 23rd March, 2015

2006 Ford Fusion SEL 2.3L from North America

Summary:

Most reliable car ever!

Very few. It had a problem where it was getting stuck in park, as the little collar on the button you depress to move it out of park had worn, and was not allowing the button to be depressed. Removed the little plastic chrome collar and never had another problem.

Only other work that was ever done to the car was new plugs and wires around 100K miles, and that was because I accidentally got water in them when I was cleaning the engine bay one time.

Tires, brakes, oil changes, just normal maintenance. These cars are like tanks. They are very reliable.

General Comments:

Just traded our old 2006 Fusion for a brand new loaded Fusion Titanium with the 2.0L direct injection turbo. The one downside of the old one was it was a little under powered when accelerating from a stop. Once you get on the road it's fine and passes people easy, but there is a lag in the 0-60 that has been well documented by other reviewers. That's the reason we got the 2 liter turbo on the new one, it has no lag at all.

After 136,000 miles this car was still perfect; everything still works. Have had to do no repairs to this car.

If you're considering a Fusion, I'd say definitely get one. They are very economical, clean, reliable cars.

Review Date: 22nd January, 2015

2006 Ford Fusion SE V6 from North America

Summary:

Finally Ford did something right in a car

The inside door handle broke at 10,000 miles; replaced under warranty.

Nothing else to date.

General Comments:

I bought this car new, it came down to this or the Honda Accord. For the price we paid, I think we got a great deal.

We have had no problems really. The brakes had to be replaced, but lasted 80,000 miles, and we used two sets of tires. But we have put 100,000 plus miles on the car. Paint and inside still look good. I love the moonroof, my only complaint would be seat comfort. Leather would be a good way to go, especially if taking long trips.

The V6 is powerful and gets decent gas mileage; middle 20's.

Review Date: 13th November, 2011

2006 Ford Fusion SEL from North America

Summary:

Wouldn't ever buy another

The transmission is shifting hard, when I slow down and speed back up. It jerks a lot. It started this at 50,000 miles.

The CD player got jammed.

All this after the warranty was up... Wow, what a car,

General Comments:

It is not a good car.

Review Date: 5th November, 2010

27th Nov 2010, 21:56

The dealership is able to reprogram your transmission so it shifts better.

The CD player can be easily unjammed. Pull the surround off, unscrew the CD player from the mount, disconnect the wires, unscrew the top of the unit, and remove the face of the radio. You should see that a CD is jammed, gently pry it back under the small wire arm. Plug the wires in and eject your CDs, it can sit on your shifter while you do this. Once they're out, all you need to do is put the radio back together, and then you should be able to load your CDs in properly. I found you need to have the radio installed, otherwise the angle of entry in to the radio will reject your CD.