2006 Ford Fusion SE 2.3L I4 from North America

Summary:

Roomy, reliable, economical, good handling, comfortable, bad dealer service!

When I first got the car used from a Ford dealership, the water pump leaked. The accessory belt squealed and the brake pedal pressure was at the floor. The dealer was awful about these problems, but I have a great mechanic.

The pump was a warranty item, as I'm sure I could've argued the rest were as well.

My main concern the day I picked up the car was the brakes. I was told "it's normal for an old car to have lower brake pressure". I don't even feel like getting into how stupid that comment was, but I got them, after 3 hours of arguing, to write me out a 6 month warranty for the braking system, if there was something major found to be wrong. I took it apart myself, and the problems were in the assembly. Seizing sliders and sticking pads etc. I serviced them all and within a day the brakes were fine. I just figure considering how easy that was, the dealer would just do it properly.

My mechanic told me that the water pump failure on this car was rare, and that he could replace it with a performance Mazda pump that would never fail again for the same cost as a Ford OEM, so that's what I did. The water pump caused the accessories belt to fail as well as its tensioner. I paid my mechanic to do the work because it was fairly cheap, has an honoured warranty, and I didn't want to see anyone from Ford's face ever again.

That was all at the beginning. I've since had no problems, but for one well known one. The interior door handle broke. This is fairly common on this model. The Lincoln equivalent is the exact same part, so there's no upgrade. Cost about $60 CAD.

General Comments:

So besides the horrible dealership, I really like the car. It has adequate power with the 4 cylinder engine, good on gas, handles well and rides smooth.

Only two very minor complaints, are the engine is a little noisy, and the turning circle is wide for parking. The car feels very sporty and much higher class then it is. For what I paid vs. an Accord or Camry, the minor things I’ve had replaced over the last 2 years and 41000 km's, I’d say I did pretty well. It’s still a plain enough, car but it's great value for the money.

I didn’t really do that well purchasing it though. I did all the homework on what model to buy, but not all the homework on your rights with the dealers.

As time goes on though, the car has made up for my misfortunes with the dealer, and I’m very happy with it. I guess you often have to differentiate the car's abilities and the shabby dealership service.

Review Date: 27th October, 2010

2nd Dec 2010, 19:18

I'm sorry to hear that you encountered problems with your Fusion. We also have a 2006 SE with the I-4, and it has never had one single problem. Like you, we have a really awful and dishonest dealership, but I drive an extra 15 miles to a very GOOD Ford dealer. I always advise checking out several different dealers.

Also, as a mechanic I do much of my own maintenance. Of course after only 5 years, very few Fords require anything beyond oil changes. Mine has not even had the brake pads replaced yet. I seldom do brake jobs or tune-ups on any domestic before 100,000 miles.

20th Dec 2010, 13:38

One of the issues I am encountering with our I-4 Fusion is not the car's fault, but is becoming a bit of an annoyance. When having to pull out into traffic very quickly I get a lot of excessive wheel-spin, sometimes to the point of smoking the tires. I don't have electronic traction control, which would solve the problem. In talking to the tire shop I buy all my tires from, I was advised to go to a tire with a higher traction rating as soon as the car is ready for new tires (no time soon). Until then, I will have to avoid fast take-offs. The I-4 has a lot of power for a 4.

21st Jan 2011, 17:48

I'm the original poster, and I agree the traction is not amazing. I believe the 2006 V6 came with traction control, because it basically had to. Now all models have traction control. I live where there can be a lot of snow, so I know what you mean, but it's still acceptable. It's still the best overall car I've ever owned.

2006 Ford Fusion SEL 2.3 4 cylinder from North America

Summary:

Good car, except for the airbags..

Mechanically, nothing.

Electronically... the buttons for the sunroof only worked when they felt like it, and cruise control was starting to be really sketchy the past couple months..

General Comments:

Overall I really enjoyed this car... until I got in a 45mph nearly head-on collision and the airbags didn't deploy.

Loved driving it, fun around corners and nice acceleration with manual trans.. great fuel economy.. averaged 33-35 hwy and 23-25 city. Everything was amazing.. but after the accident, I will not be buying a Ford anytime soon.

Beware of these for safety issues... the seatbelt saved my life... though the airbags should have been there for backup.. and they weren't.

Review Date: 21st August, 2010

21st Aug 2010, 21:12

It's hard to tell if the bags malfunctioned. Chances are that the deceleration was not enough to trigger them even at 45mph, especially if the impact was oblique. With all of the chaos about airbags injuring people, manufacturers have been dialing them back so that they only deploy when completely necessary. Since you weren't injured, (or at least you don't mention injuries) I would guess that there was no malfunction. If your belts had been off, they almost certainly would have deployed.