2002 Ford Ka Standard 1.3 petrol from UK and Ireland

Summary:

A good buy, but repairs can be costly

At around 10,000 miles the interior blower motor failed - new unit fitted under warranty.

At around 50,000 miles the front suspension failed under MOT - suspension struts replaced for around £100 by dealer (car out of warranty by then). Also front brake discs failed MOT - dealer quoted over £100 for the whole job, so replaced myself (note: disc material seems soft, pads themselves only half worn).

At the 60,000 mile service, I was told by the dealer that the power steering rack was leaking, but was safe mechanically to use. Tried using power steering fluid additives subsequently to expand the rack seals - dead loss - rack leaked even more - think twice before you use these wonder quick-fix products!

At its MOT a couple of months later, the same dealership failed the steering rack - apparently the rack was now also worn, giving play in the steering, and the leak is actually an MOT failure anyway - dealer didn't mention this at the previous service, which would have given me much more time to replace the rack myself before the MOT!!! Dealer quoted nearly £900 to fit a new rack! In the end I found a new rack on eBay for £120 and will be fitting it myself. The fact that the rack started leaking and was failed for wear at a relatively low mileage is dismally poor for a modern car. Other cars I have owned never gave such expensive (and potentially dangerous) problems even after 120,000 miles. Rack problems seem common with Ka's, which suggests poor design - hence Ford should offer at least a reduced cost for replacing the unit - I think I know what the answer will be if I asked!

General Comments:

Love the Ka, mine is very reliable, fairly nippy, comfortable, easy to park, and cheap to run - but the steering rack going so soon? - Not acceptable really - definitely a deciding factor on my next car purchase!!

Ford - you listening?

Review Date: 25th May, 2008

2002 Ford Ka Collection from Malta

Summary:

Lots of service

Factory with warranty.

The dashboard went bend to the center.

Thermostat stuck.

Water pump damage.

Changed new bumbers - plastic bends.

Rower steering pump changed.

Water pump changed.

Air conditioning leak.

Brake noise.

Head lamp condensation.

Roof upholstery bent without screws.

General Comments:

Ford Ka Collection - brand new car.

The roof upholstery came without screws. I went to the dealer, and he told me to get it changed under the warranty.

After that, I had a problem with power steering noise. Changed with the warranty.

Then, bumpers changed, new bumpers plastic bends.

The dashboard became bent to the center. He told me this is the first time problem with the dashboard.

Water pump leaking - changed with the warranty.

Changed new condensation bulb with warranty.

Thermostat stuck and the engine was hot. There is no indication what the temperature is, they have only a signal bulb.

And others problems. So I won't buy another Ford again.

Review Date: 20th August, 2006

2002 Ford Ka 1.3 from UK and Ireland

Summary:

Any 'cheap-materials' concerns blown away by handling and economy - brilliant little tool

The only thing that needed attention was the power steering rack, it needed replacing. I discovered I needed a new one when it was leaking fluid onto the exhaust below - things got a little tense for a while there! This was at 15,000 miles and was thankfully covered by the manufacturer's warranty. In the car's defence, I really did hammer it that year with very little regard to it's longevity.

General Comments:

Looked great (and still does after what must be ten years after production started?).

Really simple technology so very little to go wrong.

1.3 engine in mine was really quick (helped in part I guess by the fairly sparse design of the Ka - lightweight). That engine was well tested in earlier fiestas I understand, and it shows as I never had a problem with it.

As with most Fords everything felt pretty cheap, even the paintwork which scratched really easily and was difficult to match when touching up using the touch-up kit Ford sell you. By 24,000mls the cabin had 'loosened' and would crash/rattle a bit over the bumps. but like I said I really drove it hard and the roads it was used on are by no means the norm in terms of a smooth drive (very, very rough) so in that respect I guess that little car stood up to the pounding really well.

Noise insulation wasn't that good at higher speeds, and on a longer journey (1 hr+) wasn't that comfortable (cheap seats).

Lots about so when I came to sell it I really had to drop the price, making depreciation over the 20months I owned it around £2500.

Fuel consumption was great - 50mpg approx. Insurance was nothing.

Handling and responsiveness were enough to make you smile if you worked it a bit.

Review Date: 1st April, 2006