2002 Ford KA Collection 1.3i from UK and Ireland

I have got a green Ford Ka. When I bought the car, the brakes were not good at all. Have had all them changed (really cheap).

Also had to have a new wishbone. The car failed the MOT with rust and a headlight was shot.

The previous owner had a con MOT and never looked after the car.

General Comments:

I have owned this car now for just over a year now and it has never missed a beat; it drives like a dream. It's a bit nippy as well.

I was just wondering if anyone can help me out? I am going on 130 mile trip on holiday for a week on Monday; do you think she will take me there and bring me back? No motorways involved.

Review Date: 2nd July, 2016

6th Jul 2016, 18:37

It should be OK for your trip. 130 miles is nothing, I regularly did 350+ in one day in a VW Polo with similar power / performance.

A long drive especially on motorways or fast A roads are good for a car engine. Everything gets nicely warm, and unless you are driving at max revs in low gear, the car engine and transmission will be working at its optimum.

It's lots of short journeys where the car does not warm up properly that wear out the components.

7th Jul 2016, 19:00

I had a 1999 Ka Collection. I agree, it should make that trip easily. I would just top the oil and coolant up to their maximum levels.

There is no temperature gauge so I just checked the coolant level daily.

7th Jul 2016, 19:06

I had a 1999 Ka Collection. Mine also had a prior con MOT. It failed on the rust underneath which was so bad they would not weld it!

During my ownership it had a top radiator hose leak, which is impossible to fix unless the wheel and wheel arch liner are removed. I did not bother as I bought it as a disposable car and my only expense in a year was oil and antifreeze.

I ran it into the ground.

2002 Ford KA 1 1.3 petrol from UK and Ireland

Summary:

All that glitters soon becomes ferrous oxide

Rust, steering column groans on full lock, rust round the fuel filler, driver's seat collapsed - did I mention it RUSTS!!??

General Comments:

Bought as second car on stories of legendary handling - probably has that, but it's hard to exploit it when the steering column sounds like it's collapsing. The dealers want ALL the money for spares, and make it known you have the budget buy from the range, and to be honest that modern (when conceived) shape deserved better than a 1950's pushrod engine from the Anglia, albeit with some tweaks.

But the biggest issue, and the thing that is most unforgivable for a car from the new millennium, is that the thing rusts - they all do!! Sills, round the fuel filler, anywhere!!

It's criminal that Italian cars carry the stigma of being rotters long after Italian makers had sorted the problem (Lancia's woes meant they had to), whereas Ford "they have cheap parts" - good job you need a fair few of them - made some right rot boxes for a long time after - the last Escorts, Orions, Mk2 Fiestas and some early Mk3s are bad, but I cannot believe that they got away with the KA and its rust issues.

The sad fact is that they were praised at launch, and when people go back to look for an early "pure" KA to see what the fuss was all about, there will be none. They occupy that throw away end of the market, and by the time that is realised, it will be too late. For me that is the overriding memory and Achilles heel of the Ford KA.

Review Date: 10th September, 2014

16th Nov 2014, 15:57

How did Ford get away with producing such a rot prone car until so recently???

8th Jul 2016, 17:28

I fully agree; absolutely way beyond unbelievable.

I had a 1999 Ka Collection. The paint would not stop bubbling with rust.

I think Ford were very irresponsible. These cars may fluke the MOT with the odd welding patch, but so many of these models are structurally weakened due to rust. I would buy another one if I could get a full year's MOT on one for sale for 250 pounds. They make a great disposable car if you can drive defensively.