2002 Ford Ka 1 1.3 petrol from UK and Ireland

Summary:

All that glitters soon becomes ferrous oxide

Rust, steering column groans on full lock, rust round the fuel filler, driver's seat collapsed - did I mention it RUSTS!!??

General Comments:

Bought as second car on stories of legendary handling - probably has that, but it's hard to exploit it when the steering column sounds like it's collapsing. The dealers want ALL the money for spares, and make it known you have the budget buy from the range, and to be honest that modern (when conceived) shape deserved better than a 1950's pushrod engine from the Anglia, albeit with some tweaks.

But the biggest issue, and the thing that is most unforgivable for a car from the new millennium, is that the thing rusts - they all do!! Sills, round the fuel filler, anywhere!!

It's criminal that Italian cars carry the stigma of being rotters long after Italian makers had sorted the problem (Lancia's woes meant they had to), whereas Ford "they have cheap parts" - good job you need a fair few of them - made some right rot boxes for a long time after - the last Escorts, Orions, Mk2 Fiestas and some early Mk3s are bad, but I cannot believe that they got away with the KA and its rust issues.

The sad fact is that they were praised at launch, and when people go back to look for an early "pure" KA to see what the fuss was all about, there will be none. They occupy that throw away end of the market, and by the time that is realised, it will be too late. For me that is the overriding memory and Achilles heel of the Ford KA.

Review Date: 10th September, 2014

16th Nov 2014, 15:57

How did Ford get away with producing such a rot prone car until so recently???

2002 Ford Ka 1.3 from Australia and New Zealand

Summary:

It's more like a toy than a Ka!

What an idiot I was. I fell in love with the exterior body design, such that I did not do a thorough inspection. I would normally not write a review so early on a car, since I have just bought it, but this car is my exception. To be fair, I will update this thread as the KMs go by to give a better balanced review.

My main gripe is its interior design. Number one is the distance separating the accelerator and brake pedals. When I test drove the vehicle, I was wearing running shoes, but after taking it home and putting on my work boots - the pedals are too close! My boot hits both pedals at the same time. This is a design fault - no doubt in my mind. Or it's not designed for Aussie size 12 work boots.

Maybe I am too rough, but within 1 week, I have pushed the radio button into the dash, broke off the seat back release lever, and within 200km burned out the clutch.

The clutch repair will cost me $300 for parts and $600 for labour (a tight job apparently).

That said - I still like the aggressive stance this little Ford portrays!

General Comments:

Only available in Manual in Australia, which would explain why it was not a great replacement for the Ford Festiva. Essentially a European Ford with some weird design features. For example, the bonnet release lever is located under the steering column exactly where you would expect the tilt steering adjuster to be. The indicator stalk is on the left side, and the spare wheel is stored under the car.

Review Date: 22nd August, 2014

2002 Ford Ka Standard 1.3 from Australia and New Zealand

Summary:

Avoid unless you're a mechanic or have money to spare

Bushes needed replacing at about 80,000 kms.

Clutch needed replacing at about 83,000 kms.

Steering rack needed replacing at about 87,000 kms.

Suspension repaired + 2 new tyres at about 90,000 kms.

Stereo needs replacing at about 90,000 kms.

General Comments:

This is a comfortable car to drive, and economical petrol wise, BUT repairs are very expensive.

I've had this car for around 5 years and it was fine for the first 3 years, but in the last 2 years, in addition to the 6 monthly service and WOF, I've had to have the bushes ($NZ400), clutch ($NZ1,000) and steering rack ($NZ1,000) replaced.

Just had the suspension repaired + 2 new tyres ($NZ700), and now, 2 weeks after that, the stereo needs to be replaced (estimated $NZ400) and the car is only 7 years old.

I've never had this happen in any other car I've owned (and this is the latest year manufactured I've owned). Other than tyres, brakes pads and normal service, my 1984 Honda City needed few repairs until it failed a WOF because of rust and would have been too expensive to fix (I had it for 8 years or so), and it was the same for my last car, a 1989 Mazda Familia (aka as Mazda 323) until the automatic transmission went and again would have been too expensive to fix (I had that car for about 6 years or so).

Review Date: 21st September, 2009