1989 Ford Laser Reviews

1989 Ford Laser L 1.3 from Australia and New Zealand

Year of manufacture1989

Summary:

A fuel economic runabout

The seal at the base of the distributor leaked.

Oil leaks around the rocker cover. The replacement gasket has reduced the leak.

A rattle from something in the engine bay on certain road surfaces.

General Comments:

This car is the first car that I have owned, and in the four years that I have owned it, it hasn't let me down once.

It doesn't like hills or overtaking, but it isn't a performance car, it is a fuel economic runabout that will always get you where you want to go.

I can get 500+ km's out of a 36 litres of petrol, however most of my driving is on highways and country roads, which helps.

The handling is OK, and it is good on loose gravel.

Review Date: 1st June, 2008

31st Oct 2008, 12:22

How in the world do you get 500k? And no crap, I can't get here to an hour away and back on a tank.

5th Feb 2009, 04:30

I don't do a lot of town driving. Also I keep the engine RPM's low and I am gentle on the throttle.

It's now done 167000Km and so far nothing else has gone wrong with it, only general maintenance.

27th May 2014, 07:08

I have a 1.3L Laser too. I drove it all around Australia, dirt roads and all! It's a brilliant vehicle. Do you still have it?

1989 Ford Laser GIA 1.7 turbo diesel from Australia and New Zealand

Model year1989
Engine and transmission 1.7 turbo diesel Automatic
Previous carFord Laser

Summary:

Don't buy it!!!

My head gasket blew at 130 000km

Over heated problem cannot go more than 10 kms at 145 000km without problem

Needed new brake pads at 135 000km.

Radio broke at 127 000

Odometer broke at 137 000.

General Comments:

The car is smooth, but its not reliable at all. My brother had a Ford Laser and it eat up all his money. If you want a small car, do not buy a Ford Laser 1989.

I'm never going to buy Ford again.

Review Date: 7th October, 2005

30th Oct 2005, 23:58

'1.7 turbo diesel Automatic'

That sounds like your problem as 89 lasers came with either a chain driven 1.3 litre or b6 1.6 Litre carb or EFI engine.

The tx3 versions were EFI turbo. But not diesel.

If someone has managed to shoehorn a turbo diesel in there it's no wonder why it's falling to pieces.

The head gaskets on lasers aren't very strong either.

4th Apr 2006, 15:48

The Dog & Lemon guid 2006 states that the biggest enemy of the Lazer/Mazder 323 is overheating if the engine is overheated it can permanantly soften the cylinder head of the engine.

31st Oct 2008, 12:47

Oh, Mate.. You bought a lemon for sure, I mean because 20 year old cars don't need their brake pads replaced.. although with the evidence you give it would have been 12 years old? My mum has a 2000 Sonata and we had to replace the pads last year. Have a cry, brake pads do need replacing every now and then, it's apart of owning a car.

Radio broke at 127 000km. Go to a wreckers and get another one for $3, it's hardly anything wrong with the car bud.

As for the 89 Ford Laser, I bought one for $300, it was a bomb, took me just under 8 days to get it ready for road worthy. PCV valve, engine mounts, exhaust system, windscreen, 1 tire + 1 rim, remove mud flaps, right hand tie rod end and windscreen wiper pumps (front and rear).

Guess how much; $75 for all that, go to a wreckers, don't blame the car.

16th May 2014, 20:06

I just bought a 1989 Laser for $400. It's like new, has been very well looked after, and I'm owner 3. I'm just wanting to know what the tappet settings are, if they are adjustable?

1989 Ford Laser KE Wagon 1.6 from Australia and New Zealand