1991 Ford Laser KEII Wagon 1.6 litre from Australia and New Zealand

Summary:

A complete nightmare from the start. Avoid like the plague

Everything - despite regular servicing.

3 head gaskets replaced (very expensive)

Every rubber component - hoses, pipes, you name it.

Original air conditioner seized, and two replacement compressors did the same. Extremeley inconvenient in a hot climate where summer temperatures regularly exceed 40 degrees. Gave up after the second replacement, went without air con for 2 years.

Pieces of interior trim fell apart - speaker grilles, glove box, dashboard controls.

Both passenger and driver's side locks had to be replaced, and the glove box refused to lock as well, after a while.

Starter motor replaced.

Alternator worn out.

Radio very difficult to operate, stopped working just before the car was 'disposed' of. Tape deck never worked.

Had a tendency to overheat in traffic.

Dipstick snapped and required replacement.

The headlights and digital clock were temperamental - electrical issues.

Broke down several times.

General Comments:

We bought this car for my mother - she wanted something that had plenty of room, was reliable, easy to drive and fuel efficient - the Laser Wagon seemed ideal, however it proved to be a complete nightmare. My mother, who is not a woman of great means, was so dismayed at the cost of replacing the head gaskets that she actually cried the last time, and suffered through sweltering summer heat due to the air conditioner failing.

I would not recommend a Ford Laser to anyone. It was not overly comfortable, not good looking, nor fuel efficient. It was most certainly not reliable. The car itself seemed tinny, especially the doors. The sound system and radio were useless, and the car was noisy and unrefined. The only thing that didn't require replacement was the automatic gearbox, although it was most certainly nothing special.

We don't blame Ford, because after-all this is a re-badged Mazda, and several other Fords we've owned had few problems. However this car was a complete lemon, and it was eventually sold for $400. Where it ended up, we don't know. Some poor, unfortunate person is probably driving it. The irony is, they'll probably have no problems with it because we replaced every single conceivable thing! Avoid this model like the plague.

Review Date: 21st September, 2008

1991 Ford Laser 1.6L from Australia and New Zealand

Summary:

Great little car, perfect for lots of modifications, highly recommended

Not many problems have come from the Laser. My head gasket has blown once, but that was a result from driving in a bad way (burnouts).

The dash started to crack at about 180,000kms, but was easily covered up with a dash mat which I glued to the dash.

General Comments:

To start off, I am a person who thinks looks should come first and power should come second.

This car is a fantastic little car, there is lots of potential for modifications to be done.

I replaced the stock suspension with lowered Pedders suspension, and it handles even better than the stock setup, even though the stock springs are very good.

To improve handling around corners and for a better look, I have put some 18" wheels on the car and now it handles like it's stuck to the road.

The stock engine is very economical, however it does not have too much power in the lower RPM's, so I am currently fixing this problem by installing a supercharger. This will fix the lag the stock setup has when taking off from a stop.

My next venture into modifying the Laser will be a body kit. The car doesn't really need one, but it would look better with a little more style to its shape. I have only seen a few Lasers with body kits, and they stand out from the crowd, unlike the Skylines and other performance cars these days.

Once the car's body is done, the next step will be paint. I am thinking black as most 91 model Lasers have black door trims. I have tested this look with a can of black spray paint on one side of the vehicle, and was surprised at how much better it looked.

At the same time the interior is a little bland and not very interesting. I am changing the interior to hold two front bucket seats, custom back seats, re-trimmed doors, painted console and dash with inbuilt custom gauges.

As you can see, this model Laser has lots of potential and I have only listed a few of the modifications that are possible with the Laser.

Review Date: 12th May, 2007

6th Nov 2009, 10:07

All of the mods you have listed can be done on any car. Also, why spend so much on such an old car? A supercharger would probably create more lag on the engine in the lower revs, as it restricts the engine at first.