1991 Ford Laser GL 1.6 ltr from Australia and New Zealand

Summary:

All in all, it’s a great little car

Absolutely nothing, as you could tell with the 58,000 Km’s on the clock, its like brand new!

But can be quite annoying to sit there and wait for it to warm up on cold mornings.

General Comments:

This car handles really well, and when you put your foot to the floor (literally I might add) It has awesome pick up, I’m 17 and when I’m in the car by my self, its quite quick.

I have put a Sony CD player in it, and also Sony 6x9’s in the back.

With the Km’s being extremely low, at just 58,000km’s – The original engine when it was brought brand new by my Grandfather – kept in the family since new.

Could do with a 4spd Auto, But I guess its all right, I had a 92 Laser GLI Hatch (1.8ltr)

And have moved down to this 91 Laser GL Sedan (1.6ltr) Both Auto’s, and really this is just as quick as the 1.8, but not when taking off, I miss the 1.8 for that.

With the Air on, the engine seem to struggle a little, and loses power, not much, like it’s about to break down, but you can notice it.

Petrol it quite good, cost’s about $55 (AU) to fill it up – depending where you go.

Review Date: 5th July, 2006

10th Nov 2006, 22:30

On the 91' I think the front speakers are in the dashboard, they take 4" speakers, with my car I got the under dash off a 93' model which doesn't have provision for speakers and put 5.25's into the door (this is a much better place imo), you mite be able to fit 6's into there.. then with some 6x9s in the back sounds it wicked.

1991 Ford Laser TX3 1.8 1.8 16v DOHC EFi from Malaysia

Summary:

Powerful, but lacks finesse

Usual wear and tear stuff.

General Comments:

Powerful light car with a rorty 140bhp engine and low-ratio 5 speed manual gearbox, but unfortunately dogged by poor handling and so-so brakes.

Very mediocre ride comfort. Awful seats.

Average build quality. But it was reliable (this car is actually Mazda-derived).

Noisy, lacks refinement. Transmission gearing is too low for highway cruising.

Fuel economy is OK given the nature of the car.

Design-wise, the 2 door hatchback shape looks sporty.

Review Date: 11th June, 2006

11th Sep 2009, 05:03

I still own one of these. Your comments are very appropriate, but I love the car for its rawness and low maintenance cost, yet it is fast and sporty.

1991 Ford Laser KF 1.6L from Australia and New Zealand

Summary:

I'd recommend it to anyone!

For me, the drivers side window is difficult to wind, in the process of winding the widow I have snapped off the winding handle. This was easy to fix and replace myself.

The engine makes a strange sound for about a minute after starting up cold. This will be looked at shortly.

General Comments:

What a great first car! I've been thoroughly happy with. It looks great, performs extremely well for a little 4 cylinder and has a fairly decent fuel economy.

I've been really happy with it so far :D.

Review Date: 10th February, 2004

1991 Ford Laser GL Hatchback 1.6 SOHC from Australia and New Zealand

Summary:

Reliability at a good price

The car failed its WOF on these two things:

Big Crack in lower left hand corner of windscreen (from trying to cram a kayak into it) - cost $300 to replace.

Crack in the Exhaust - had it welded for $20.

Has an odd clicking noise that happens whilst turning right at low speeds, sounds like the steering rack.

When the heater is on 1, or 2 no air comes out, but when it is on 3, or 4 it works, it has... Off, (1-2) off still, (3) fast, (4) faster.

Accidentally reversed into a concrete post.. bent the pressed metal edge below the boot lid, and distorted the bumper.

Rust is beginning to show in the door pillars, and surface corrosion on the chassis members.

The camshaft and tappets are noisy when the car is cold, despite adding tune-up after servicing it.

General Comments:

This car is a GL model, so it has Velour seats and the Mazda sourced 1600cc unit.

I recently required the security code for the radio and being a NZ new car, I simply called the dealer where it was sold new (12 years ago), told them the license plate number and they were able to find the radio code.

Review Date: 9th April, 2003

1991 Ford Laser KF2 TX3 1.8 petrol from Australia and New Zealand

Summary:

A great, sporty, practical hot hatch

Window winder mechanism needed to be replaced.

Occasionally stalls when I am gearing down and coming to a standstill.

I didn't get one earlier!

General Comments:

This is a black TX3 non turbo 2 door car that looks goes and sounds terrific with little or no problems. A lot of people think it's the turbo 4wd version and say "oh". But this car is absolutely fantastic to drive sounds raspy and is as reliable as a swiss watch. It's a bit like having an Alfa (with its dohc 16v engine) without the hassles.

It owes me all up, with a top CD system, alarm, central locking and insurance, about $9k on the road and it will put a new Kia or Hyundai to shame. To be fair it's not really a Ford, it's actually a fully imported Mazda, which speaks a lot for their engineering.

On top all this it's very frugal and hugely practical. Despite being a 3 door hatch, it fits 4 adults comfortably and with the split fold rear seats down doubles up as a small panel van. I often mow my grandparents lawn and it carrys a lawn mower and brush cutter no problems. I also use it when I need to cart around small bits of furniture, something I can't do with my VS Commodore...

Review Date: 24th July, 2001

24th Aug 2001, 09:03

I totally agree with this review. This is my first car and I love it. It is pretty quick (for a non turbo), however it doesn't attract the high insurance costs which is a benefit for a student like me! I totally recommend buying one if you get the chance.