1992 Ford Mustang LX 5.0 from North America

Summary:

5.0 let's GO!

Absolutely nothing gone wrong with my Mustang in over 15,000 miles of driving.

The car had 190k miles when I got it, it was a one owner CA car. Grandpa had it since new, and used it every day to commute to work. He was selling it before moving to Florida. At 170k he replaced the AOD, but that is IT.

Engine was flawless after being driven almost to the moon. No oil burning, no hesitation, no oil leaks. It pulled like a freight train, and would lite the tires up from the lights effortlessly.

I did a full tune up when I got it, and oil changes every 3 month after that. Nothing went wrong with it, and I have driven it very hard.

General Comments:

Great car. Quick from the line, fantastic engine sound, great low end torque.

It is extremely fun to drive, and is fairly practical. I moved a lot of things in the hatch. Pretty comfortable on the long trips, the only downside is the interior squeaks and rattles.

Engine is really amazing, the low rumble of the push-rod V8 is intoxicating. I really loved this car, and would recommend it to anyone.

Review Date: 11th February, 2011

1992 Ford Mustang LX 2.3L 4 cylinder FI from North America

Summary:

A car for the guy or girl who is looking for a cheap, economical car that's easy on the eyes.

Door lock actuator broke at 240,000 km.

Ignition module went at 240,000km.

Paint has been faded since I bought it.

Drivers side window shakes when you roll it down.

Door pins wore out at 250,000 km.

Water pump blew at 271,000 km.

General Comments:

Overall, the car is a pleasure to drive. I replaced the ignition module a month after it malfunctioned. Ever since then, it runs great.

It is a gutless car, especially uphill, but that's what I expect from a 4 cylinder motor.

The interior is black and is very hard to keep clean. The leg room in the back is pathetic and is not comfortable, especially for the driver when a passenger sits behind him and and he has to work the clutch with the seat all the way forward.

Trunk space is a bit cramped. When you put speakers in there, don't bother storing stuff in the trunk anymore.

Review Date: 21st January, 2006

1992 Ford Mustang LX 2.3 Dual Plug 4 cylinder from North America

Summary:

This is a rock-solid car with a wimpy transmission

Had trans serviced at 110,000 miles.(AOD trans is known to be wimpy)Other than that only normal maintenance.

General Comments:

This is a good car! It handles well, gives a solid ride and been more reliable than I could have hoped. Nice motor, and although underpowered it is way better than the carbureted 2.3's were before. (105h.p. versus 88) Quick steering, and pleasant fox-chassis response. Ford has a nice underrated rack and pinion on all these cars. Solid rear-drive reliability. Useless trunk-fits like a hat or something in there. Good controls lifted from the Taurus. All in all, the early 90's cars were the best of this model. All the bugs were worked out. They had fuel-injection, dual-plug ignition, coil-packs instead of distributors, and mine is still rattle-free. I did upgrade the radio and speakers though. So you get simplicity, durability and some modern electronics to make it run better. But of course these Mustangs are terrible in snow without tons of weight in the trunk, but I have fun with that!

Review Date: 9th November, 2004

1992 Ford Mustang LX 5.0 from North America

Summary:

You get your bang for your buck!

I bought the car at 100,000 miles and Overall, I had to replace both head gaskets, which run a little over a hundred a piece.

New radiator at 103,000 miles.

The power window motors are a bit shaky, very expensive to fix.

Small tear in driver side seat.

Replaced both fan belt and timing belt.

General Comments:

Ford built one of the best and most affordable and reliable high performance engines when they created fox body mustangs.

The 5.0 motor can take tons of punishment before breaking down.

However, the transmissions can tend to have problems if they are beat on.

Great car for racing and summertime, terrible for winters. Don't even try to drive these in the snow... they won't go anywhere and the salt will rust them out very quickly.

Peformance is great, body is a bit fragile.

Overall, worth every penny... you get your bang for your buck.

Review Date: 5th November, 2004

10th Nov 2004, 16:10

Always wanted a 5.0, but I have a '92 with the 2.3 and my first car was an '82 with the straight six. I really beat that one to death, and it always held up. It was really slow, but I cornered the hell outa it! This '92 is overall a better car, but it's a coupe and I liked the hatch look better. This 4 banger is quicker than that six was too. That car had a C6 trans too which was an odd combo. Couldn't find a replacement engine in which the bellhousing would fit the trans! Thanks for the chat. Later!

30th Aug 2006, 22:34

I too own 1992 Mustang 5.0 it's a great car I've beating Camaros to Novas, and I run pretty hard. It still runs like a champ, but the only problem I see is gas mileage, but its worth it.