1986 Ford Ranger 2.9 V6 from North America

Summary:

Very reliable little truck

The tie rod went at 275,000 Kms. Nothing since then.

General Comments:

The truck is very reliable. It is the best truck I've ever owned, since my previous Ranger.

This is a fast, fuel efficient little truck.

The truck has a nice interior and and good engine.

I got over 550,000 Km's out of my previous ranger, so this one should last.

Review Date: 29th September, 2006

1986 Ford Ranger XL 2.9 V6 from North America

Summary:

One great ride

Control module at 60000 cost me $20.00

General Comments:

This is one fine running vehicle, the truck is great on gas 18/25 and rides really nice for a 4x4. Shes a gem for the money. I paid only 900.00 for the truck and knock on wood it beats driving a suv which are nothing, but gas hogs. I know because I had a CHEVY SUBURBAN A first class junk. This is rust free and super clean for its age.

Review Date: 20th October, 2004

10th Feb 2006, 04:58

I have one just like yours, it's a gem. I've had newer trucks, but the ranger is hands down when it comes to reliabity. my wife has a 2000 blazer sits in the driveway wishing it could go for a ride.

1986 Ford Ranger Short Box 2.3L from North America

Summary:

Reliability? go Ford Ranger!

The Body was in need of some minor repair. I fixed all the dents and rusted panels and painted it.

The engine uses a quart of oil every 3 months.

The Carburetor needs to be replaced, it will stall if not warmed up enough, and seems to turn the engine over a bit once the ignition has been turned off.

The seats were torn when I bought it, so I put on a seat cover.

General Comments:

Overall this is a very reliable truck. It has never left me stranded somewhere and doesn't seem to want to die. For 300 000 km I was really impressed.

The only downfall to this truck is the performance. It is really embarrassing when old model minivans and school buses are passing you while you're wide open throttle. But I'm sure the V6 model is a different story.

The gas mileage is decent on the highway, but in town it seems to average that of a V8.

Review Date: 14th October, 2004

1986 Ford Ranger 2.3 4 cylinder. from North America

Summary:

Rust bucket, but dead reliable

Dad owns a 1986 Ford Ranger. Now if there's anything out there that would fit the definition of Rust-Bucket-On-Wheels, then this is it. The rear wheel arches are gone, and there isn't a single good panel on the thing. The speedometer and odometer are both broken. There is even a hole in the floorboards under where you put your feet to drive the thing - so he just covers it up with about 3 floor mats. Since he has owned it, he has had to replace the right-side exhaust manifold and the muffler. Oh yeah, and he bought it for 400 bucks.

General Comments:

The interior is decent, and the bench seat has actually held together. It is comfortable, although it has no tilt steering column. It is a five-speed and somehow it will not die!!!

Review Date: 1st March, 2004

8th Nov 2004, 09:19

Those fords will go forever.

10th Jun 2005, 00:54

Update: Sold the Ranger to a friend of mine for $350 (after putting in a new battery). He DESPERATELY needed a vehicle. He's had it for about two weeks now and has had no problems whatsoever. (As much as I hate Ford trucks, I have to admit that they did a decent job putting this one together.)

1986 Ford Ranger XLT 2.3L 4 cylinder from North America

Summary:

A dependable run-of-the-mill truck

Nothing major so far. Occasionally, it begins missing on rainy days. I suspect the problem is the distributor cap may be cracked, causing moisture to leak into it.

There's a lot of rust on the exterior along with the floor-boards in the interior. This is most likely because it came from Michigan, where they salt the roads when it snows. Salt eats away at metal. The previous owner must not have known this and didn't bother to wash the salt off.

If the truck is "cold" then it will not crank up on the first try--ever. I don't know why, but it always cranks on the second try, flawlessly. No sputters, nothing. Perhaps the fuel pump is to blame.

General Comments:

I just turned 16 and got my license. I chose this to be my first car. I have had it for about 2 months now and have been driving it for about a month. This low budget truck fits right into my price range. At only $600, It is a wonderful buy.

This truck is amazingly reliable. It starts on queue, mind you always on the second try. It handles great, especially after adding wider, shorter tires on it.

When I first got it, it needed a tune-up. It had a new air filter and muffler that the previous owner replaced before I bought it. I have, so far, changed the oil and the fuel filter. I am still planning on changing plug wires, distributor cap (especially if its cracked), and the spark plugs. I'm sure running some fuel injector cleaner though it wouldn't hurt either.

All-in-all, this is a great first vehicle. Cheap on gas, reliable, and somewhat comfortable for 6' of height. I recommend this truck for anyone who needs a dependable ride, on a low budget. I wouldn't expect it to win a beauty contest though.

Review Date: 19th July, 2003

22nd Mar 2004, 19:35

How to repair a hole in the floor. Grinder, sheet metal, welder. Cut around the hole to remove rot, grind rust off the surrounding metal, get a square of sheet metal, weld it to the remaining metal, paint on either side with a decent anti rust type paint.

9th Jan 2006, 16:51

Amen Brother. I just bought my ranger about 2 months ago, and all I have had to do is put a new clutch in it. I have the v6 and it has plenty of power. My dad painted it for me at around $120, and it looks awesome. I also have to start it 2 times, probably problem with the electronis ignition. 4x4 works great in snow, mud, etc. All around great truck for a low price. FORD RULES!!!1.

Newman #17.

20th Aug 2006, 17:27

I just bought a 1986 Ranger with only 65,000 miles on it. I am happy to see all the positive comments on here about this truck. This truck is in mint condition and I hope to have it for a very long time.

16th Feb 2008, 11:47

My buddy said he knows a guy with an 85' ranger with 85k original miles and he'd take $500 for it, think I might buy it. Also were all the 4 bangers diesel for this year?