1986 Ford Ranger XLT 2.9 V6 from North America

Summary:

A classic beauty built to run forever!

General Comments:

Gas mileage was nothing like a little foreign car, but considerably good for an old truck.

I could have happily driven it forever except I got rear ended.

A classic beauty, a great fixer-uper.

Didn't burn oil.

Barely ever had to open up the hood.

The best truck ever.

Review Date: 18th May, 2003

25th Jan 2021, 00:38

I agree I've owned my 1986 Ford Ranger XL for a year. It has the 2.9 liter with a 5 speed. Doesn't burn or leak oil.

1986 Ford Ranger XLT 2.9L from North America

Summary:

Good daily driver, of course you always need more HP!!!

Master Cylinder, starter and turn signal switch. We knew all this when we got the truck.

General Comments:

I Like my truck. It's true that it doesn't get the best gas mileage, but it has good enough performance to knock these import junkers around.

I have had some problems, but the thing is almost 20 years old, what can you expect.

I have heard complaints about the seats. I am a 280 pound 6 ft. adult and I am prettty comfortable in this pickup, the seat could go back a couple more inches though.

I am planning on making this into a SERIOUS Pre-Runner when we go back home.

Review Date: 9th May, 2003

1986 Ford Ranger sc 4x4 2.8 from North America

Summary:

1986 Ford Ranger 4x4 SuperCab truck is the best truck on the market

Paint started to oxidize at 200,000 miles.

My Transmission went out at 250,000 miles.

My rear end went out at 310,000 miles.

General Comments:

1986 Ford Ranger 4x4 Super-Cab truck is the best truck on the market, I am the second owner. When I purchased the Ranger it had 86,000 miles on.

The first time that I had to tune it up was at 120,000 miles.

The second time I tune it up was at 250,000 miles and at that time the transmission went out and had to get another one. At a price tag of $1,200.00 for a factory rebuilt.

When the truck had 310,000 miles the rear end went out and I replace it with an 8.8 at a cost of $250.00. This truck would go anywhere, 8" of snow and only in two wheel drive and all of the other trucks in four wheel drive and some even with chains on.

I have had the truck bed load up with lumber from the bed to the top of the canopy.

I take the truck on a hunting trip twice a year, at a distance of about 300 miles one way.

That's hauling a trailer full of hunting gear (16'x24' army tent, poles, wood stove 30 gallons of water, 10 gallons of gas, tarps, shovels, chain saw, ax, and the back of the truck full of food and cloths).

The truck has lost some power that it use to have, but over all not bad for now having 351,000 miles. The original battery went bad after 13 years.

Rangers are the best.

Review Date: 18th January, 2003

13th Mar 2003, 21:06

I have a 1987 Ranger with 186,000 miles on it and it is still running great with the original engine. It is amazing that you were able to get over 300,000 miles on yours.

9th Sep 2005, 02:14

I have an '86 ford ranger 4X4. It is in pretty bad shape. I am looking to fix it up, put all new in it. I need everything from carpet to a tailgate. Does anyone have any ideas or know of any good sites where I can get all of this?

Thanks

Jessica.

1986 Ford Ranger Extra cab 3.1 from North America

Summary:

Awesome truck!

At 210,000 kilometers I replaced the starter.

General Comments:

When I bought this truck everyone laughed at me because of the year and because it was a ford! 4 years later I have put a whopping 50 dollars into it for a used starter! The body is rusty and that's my only complaint. I can honestly say that this is the most reliable vehicle I have ever owned! It has 388,000 kilometers on it and it's still going strong!

Review Date: 15th January, 2003