1991 Ford Scorpio Cosworth 24 valve from UK and Ireland - Comments

29th May 2008, 19:01

I get 128mph in 3rd, and have never tested the top speed. 0-60 in under 7 seconds. Have removed all 4 catalytic converters and fitted a K&N induction system. Have 2 x 2,5" -> 3" exhaust. Great sound from the V6, especially around 4000rpm. The only thing I don't like about the car is the A4LD.. I have had several Scorpios and there has always been something "wrong" with the automatic transmission. But it is great fun to make the car "eat up" the rear tyres while standing still in 2nd gear.. ;)

Fitted new Brembo discs and EBC Red Stuff in each corner of the car today. My Cosworth feels like new again! I will be fitting a complete Power-flex bushing-kit tomorrow. Can't wait to feel the difference. The rear end is not so stiff anymore, so new polyurethane bushes will make great difference.

Any one who know where I can get hold of rear end gears with 4.10 ratio for the 7,5" differential? I wanna mount a Quaife differential with 4.10:1, I guess the acceleration will be improved a lot.

Now, to the one who started this thread, I have a question:

"One connector in engine caused intermittent engine cut outs on left hand bends."

Which connector? I have the exact same problem.

Best Regards

Robert.

9th Feb 2009, 15:41

I'm not agreed that Ford Scorpio Cosworth 91 2.9 doesn't go over 145MPH.

I have ridden on an autobahn at over 160MPH on Normal 142kW, only I had turbo on it! That gives more 50hp.

You guys underrating it, on road it will easily beat NEW Mercedes-Benz or BMW with same hp.

I agree, it looks kinda ugly, but what you can do, IT IS 91 year.

ALL WHO SAYS IT GOES UNDER 145 Max don't know anything about this car model. In 90's the Cosworth engine was best that you can find in a normal family car. Sure a Ferrari F430 or 911 Turbo GT2 is faster, but it costs 100k+ Euro.

What about the Automatic Transmission, it is very good, I have little liking for it, but it is from a crash on small speed.

29th Sep 2009, 11:26

Hi all. I had the Ford Scorpio Cosworth 2.9 V6 24 Valve 93 reg.

This was very fast, and I race many other other cars. My mate had a GTi Swift H reg K&N, yet I still could beat him from the start to 60, and well over, yet they do 0 - 60 in the 7 sec's.

I had 156 mph out of mine, don't think it could to 165 TBH, but trust on a good day it will do more than 145. Sometimes you just get better ones than others, you can't judge every Scorpio on your own one, or that they all do the same speed, that would be like saying all well trained gray hound dogs, run the same speed LOL... Some things just go a little faster than others.

Trust me, some of the Ford Scorpio Cosworth 2.9 V6 24 valves are faster than the factory say!

16th May 2010, 17:13

Considering that the Scorpio Cosworth will hit its rev limiter before it reaches 160 mph (provided you had a steep enough hill and a strong enough gale to help you get there), one can only wonder how anybody could do 165 with 1500 rpm to spare.

I have met people who actually believe revs will drop if they get more power or if they have a particularly well running car. Amazing.

I don't know the gearing of the manual versions, but typically manuals are geared lower than automatic versions, meaning they will most likely run into the limiter at a lower speed - again provided they had the power to do so.

When you look at the figures from Top Gear and Autocar tests (9.0s 0-60mph and 138 mph top speed for the latter) one can be relatively certain that the car doesn't quite make 207 hp or the automatic gearbox robs too much of it. Gearing is also slightly too tall for optimum top speed.

Volvo's 960, a direct competitor, had a 3-litre six with a claimed 201 hp. It offered virtually identical performance to the Scorpio, both car outfitted with 4-speed autos. However, the Volvo 850 turbo with 222 claimed hp managed a 15.5 s 1/4 miles @ 92.5 mph and 155 mph top speed. Also that with a 4-speed automatic.

Add another comment