1994 Ford Taurus Wagon GL 3.0 OHV from North America

Summary:

Excellent cars when maintained!

Transmission at 170,000, engine at 201,000.

I was given this car by a customer that never took care of it. As I have owned many of these Taurus', I was excited to get it. I installed an engine with 135,000 miles on it, and have driven it with much enjoyment.

General Comments:

Despite what people say or feel about the Taurus, it's a great car!

What people don't understand about used cars are that people get rid of them for a reason. Most of these people don't spend the money on the car in the first place to properly maintain them, then sell them to an unsuspecting buyer.

The transmission problems with the Taurus are primarily due to a lack of service! A filter change was due between 60,000 to 100,000 miles, BUT the fluid was to be inspected and changed as necessary, which should be between 15,000 to 30,000 miles (not just one time)! The oil pan gasket would go bad on the 3.0, and you must repair this when the oil starts to leak, not when the engine no longer has oil.

Time and use will wear on ALL vehicles!

Review Date: 14th April, 2011

1994 Ford Taurus GL 3.8L Essex from North America

Summary:

Excellent reliability with astounding performance

The dryer cartridge had to be replaced on the A/C at 53,000 miles.

Other than that, just normal maintenance.

General Comments:

We bought the car off the lot for my mother because she liked the color combination. (My mother was in her late seventies and we traded a chronically broken Cadillac in on it.) The Taurus came with wide Michelin tires, had four wheel disk brakes, aluminum wheels, a smooth shifting automatic transmission, and featured an excellent sound system. Later, I discovered that the non d'script little old lady's car had a large, powerful V6 engine, and could easily accelerate to 130 miles per hour. I mentioned this to no one. But I soon noticed that family members would "borrow" the Taurus for errands into the city, and I overheard a couple mentioning the unusual performance.

It was involved in a fender bender, and the other car received the bulk of the damage, while the strong Taurus had only showed a slight scrape. In the 11 years we owned it, we had no mechanical problems with Taurus. It was an excellent car.

Review Date: 8th August, 2010

1994 Ford Taurus GL 3.8 from North America

Summary:

Ford Taurus just keeps on going

Had a leak in the front window, had brake calipers replaced more than once, tranny began to slip.

General Comments:

This car will go over 200,000 I expect. It starts and it runs great, it always has.

The A/C still is cold.

It always gave me over 20mpg; in fact 22-24 was the norm, and on the highway I could get near 30mpg. 32mpg was the best I ever got driving with mpg in mind.

I kept the fluids fresh and I kept the tires inflated to max. It is very comfortable on the highway with overdrive and cruise control. I kept it as a backup car in the end due to reliability. It still doesn't burn any oil. It was very good value after so many years and so many miles.

Review Date: 2nd June, 2010

1994 Ford Taurus GL 3.0 from North America

Summary:

I'll drive this car till it reaches 300,000 miles

Replaced battery at 117,000.

Replaced alternator at 117,000.

Replaced stereo at 117,000.

Replaced headliner at 117,000.

Tuned up and oil change at 117,000.

Brand new tires at 117,000.

General Comments:

I paid $1100 for the car, and it was in decent shape when I bought it. I just noticed some things that I wanted to replace for my peace of mind.

She runs like a dream, and everything works on the car. Any vehicle that you can buy that's 16 years old and has a good motor and transmission is worth it.. The rest is basically cosmetic..

I really like this car.. No oil leaks, good on gas, cranks every time.

Last car I owned was a 1995 Oldsmobile 88 Royale... it was a great car.. would still have it but it was totaled... not my fault... the other driver rear ended me.

Review Date: 17th April, 2010

17th Apr 2010, 08:20

I had the exact same car. Should have kept it, it had 250,000 miles on the clock when I sold it. The things that went wrong in the year I had it were just a water pump and alternator. That is just minor and normal with such high mileage.

It had a great heater and ice cold air!

22nd Apr 2010, 18:20

If the tranny goes, it's definitely worth replacing. Service it though and it should be fine.

I've owned a '92 Taurus with 177k on the original drivetrain till it was rear-ended hard (and STILL drove flawlessly even when totaled), a '94 with over 220k miles on a replaced tranny, and a '98 Windstar van still in service with the exact same 3.0 V6 (yes, I chose the 3.0 over the 3.8).

Despite all the negativity people direct at Ford, that 3.0 Vulcan engine is a true engineering marvel, and will go and go and go. And they kept it the same basic design for over a decade.