1991 Ford Thunderbird SC 3.8 Supercharged from North America

A muscle-luxury-sporty-catchy-affordable machine

Nothing has really gone wrong with the car. The trans, clutch, and shifter were all replaced at about 100,000 miles by previous owner. Has been a pretty reliable car to me thus far. The seats are starting to show some wear. The electronic climate controls pop out an error every now and then, but the system still works.

General Comments:

An absolutely magnificant piece of machinery. Hauls like no tomorrow, gets off the line about as fast as you need it to... or want. My friend has a 96 Camaro R/S, 3.8 V6. His car has nothing on mine. Plenty of power, though it mauls the gas tank. The car pretty much sticks to the road. Even in snow, if you know how to handle rear wheel drive, you won't find yourself in a ditch.

Features: You name it, the car probably has it. CD, air conditioning, leather, automatic this and that. It all still works.

An outstanding car, has all the power, the luxury, and it has the looks to show off with. Dual exhaust, nice rims, and fog lamps set it apart from the run-of-the-mill t-bird.

Review Date: 11th January, 2004

1991 Ford Thunderbird 5.0 V8 from North America

A serious waste of $ and space on earth

Driver side door literally "fell off".

Rack and pinion went bad.

Both sway bars needed replacement.

Both the front struts had to be replaced.

Gas tank cap locked on even though it's a "non-lock cap".

A 1ft sq area of floor between driver's seat and the pedals fell out.

Rear defrost only defrost half of the back window.

The air conditioning hose busted when I bought it.

Both of the front upper ball joints.

Timing belt.

Idler module (expensive!)

General Comments:

Overall this has to be the worst investment I've ever made.

Let it be known that the only reason I bought this car was because of the 5.0 engine which showed how little Ford knows about a little word called torque.

Immediately after starting it shakes and dies out every now and then.

This car only got me 50 miles to a tank, not gallon tank!

The steering on this car is a joke.

Any gas guzzling SUV would beat this car at gas mileage and overall weight of the car.

The only OK thing about this car is the massive amount of cabin room.

I've only had Pontiac's before that have had well over 200k miles on them and have had half the problems this car gave me.

Review Date: 11th November, 2002

30th Jan 2004, 21:26

Looks like you didn't shop very well. take a mechanic with you next time and you will save a lot of hassle.

12th Feb 2004, 09:37

It appears to me that this car was not taken care of. I owned mine for 10 years and never had a major concern. Trust me the only reason I sold it was I was moving to the USA from Canada. Would have had a problem with everything being in Kilometers rather then the mileage. Have to say the biggest mistake I made was selling the car...

1991 Ford Thunderbird Supercoupe Supercharged 3.8L V6 from North America

This is THE time to buy one of these--inexpensive, but excellent performer!

The car recently needed the left side motor mount replaced.

The car also needed a headlight switch ($10) when the lights started to dim and flicker.

General Comments:

The car pulls like no tomorrow. Acceleration is excellent, especially at speed.

It is the perfect combination of performance/muscle car with a very comfortable daily/interstate driver.

An extremely satisfying car to drive on all levels, and this is the best time to buy this car. The cost is very low for a high return. 11 years old and has held together VERY solidly. No rattles and very solid daily driver.

Review Date: 27th October, 2002

25th Nov 2003, 21:06

Be careful. I had a 92 T-bird SC, and it was one hell of a wild ride, but be warned about the repair bills. My clutch wore out, and was quoted $1000 by three repair shops. Just to do a tune up on the thing was $300-$500. This is due to the fact that the only way to get to the plugs is either by removing the supercharger, or by dropping the chassis braces under the engine. And don't even ask the price if the automatic ride control goes out. I loved that car, but the repair bills were killing me.

13th Dec 2003, 17:26

That is not correct about changing the spark plugs. The supercharger does not need to be removed nor does the chassis braces. Who ever told you that obviously did not know much about the car or the job at hand. The spark plugs on one side of the engine come out from the top and the other side are removed from under the car. It took me a good 3 hours when I first did the spark plug change and now I can do them all in 45 minutes. Only thing I remove is the air box. Knowing how to do the job is the key here.

27th Oct 2004, 15:11

Yeah you can change the spark plugs without removing the supercharger or removing anything underneath. It takes some time and your knuckles and arms might get scuffed and sore, but you can definitely change them. It took me about four hours the first time, and I'm 16 years old.