12th Oct 2015, 20:56

Hi, so good to hear. We have a 1997 VG Transit LWB HR 2.0 turbo diesel and have had a lot of problems sourcing them in Oz. We finally had some help on some parts via the UK, but the guy kept quoting part nos (different cataloguing apparently).

Anyway, long story short - we found out our Transit (or at least the parts) was made in Germany???

Our latest problem is that the brakes need bleeding. Have been told by a good friend (non-Transit owner) that they don't bleed "the usual way"???

We are at a total loss as to what to do.

Does anyone know or have any ideas re this. We are at the desperate stage now, as everything has ground to a halt.

1st Jan 2016, 09:31

Hi, I fitted an Ecotech V6 to my VG mid roof and fitted the Commodore cruise control, and put 235/75/15 tyres on to bring the revs down.

8th Feb 2016, 23:12

VG Transit 07 / 1997 2.5 TDI Turbo Diesel, 4 speed Automatic.

The 2.5 TDI diesel is not a powerful as the newer 2.4 TDCI, and the side mirrors are definitely not as good as the larger mirrors on Transits from 2000 onwards, but the 06 - 00 vans are lots cheaper and do run fine.

I bought this 1997 Van in December 2015 with 254,000 km on the clock. It needed lots of little things fixing, but I only paid $2000 for it.

I did one big initial service:

Change engine oil (and add teflon), oil filter, air filter, tyres, radio, replaced interior dash fan, replaced leaking injector return lines, replaced old perished vacuum lines, replaced leaking exhaust manifold gasket, radiator hoses, radiator and engine flush, new 6 year coolant, diff oil (and add 500g Nulon Teflon G70), transmission oil flush. Adjusted sliding door and replaced handle. Used a needle to grease all suspension joints, repack and adjust front wheel bearings. Replaced rear brake shoes.

Done 5000km (I am a courier and use the van every day).

No leaks - oil, diesel, coolant fluid or otherwise.

9-10km per litre (10-11L/100km).

Starts first time. Runs smooth.

Last thing to service is the air con.

22nd Mar 2016, 02:50

I fitted a VP V6 into my VG about 12 years ago. A few teething problems, but once ironed out it was the fastest van around. Got some strange looks from other motorists when taking off at lights, especially from other Transit drivers. Still using it today. But now it's not the fastest; my VH with a worked VT engine is... Not for long however, a friend has nearly finished his supercharged 350 V8 conversion. Bound to be a few more confused looks...

30th Mar 2016, 12:46

I have just bought a 96 turbo diesel Transit with exactly what you described. And my engine light is on.

5th Jun 2016, 02:52

"I fitted a VP V6 into my VG about 12 years ago' - I have a VG Transit with a V6 Holden + Auto box, but it revs really high at 100km/h (about 4,500 RPM) as it seem the diff ratio is incorrect (4.56/1), so what did you do about that?