1996 Geo Metro Reviews - Page 14 of 17

1996 Geo Metro LX 1 liter from North America

First year of ownership1996
Engine and transmission 1 liter Manual
Previous carToyota Corolla

Summary:

The Metro is a utility bargain!

The air conditioner had a leaky fill valve. The dealer repaired it with no problems.

The air conditioner control lever needed replacement. The dealer repaired it with no problems.

The water pump developed a leak at 80,000 miles. Replacement solved the problem.

General Comments:

I love this car. I think it's the best car I've ever owned.

I've had faster, bigger, and more expensive cars, but the Metro does what it was designed to do better than any of my other cars.

I have never felt anxious about this car breaking down or having unexpected trouble.

The car does require a different style of driving because of it's low horsepower, but once you learn how to keep the engine at the correct rpm for the conditions you'll fall in love with the car.

The car handles very well at 80 mph.

I'm 6'1 and I have plenty of legroom.

Used Metros are very inexpensive (often $1500.00 in my area) because many people are embarrassed to be seen in them, but if you consider the true utility that this car provides you can smile when you're at the light next to the Lexus and its egotistical owner.

Review Date: 15th November, 2002

1996 Geo Metro LSi 4 cylinder from North America

Engine and transmission 4 cylinder Automatic

Summary:

Great car for the METRO area

Very little. The only problem that I have had with my little Walnut is that it began to make a tinkering noise. To correct the problem, I simply got into an accident. NEW CAR!!!

General Comments:

This vehicle is a very comfortable, affordable, and cheap to run all around heap on wheels. For one of the smallest cars manufactured, they give you an incredible amount of space. Can easily fit four mid-sized persons. A great feature of the car is the airbags and the seat-belts. I had the fortunate disposition to test both of them out. A collision of 25 mph almost head on was an experience with a car of this stature. In other words, TOTALED. Please, if you are going to buy a car of this type then don't do a lot of freeway driving. At 65 or 70 mph, I wouldn't have been so lucky. Great all around METRO driving car.

Review Date: 5th November, 2002

1996 Geo Metro Sedan 1.3 gas from Costa Rica

Engine and transmission 1.3 gas Manual
Previous carChevrolet Sentra

Summary:

Incredible combustible economy

Too slow going up hill.

That's it.

General Comments:

I had a Nissan Sentra 1987 for two years before.

When I finally decided to get a new car, too many options were not over the table.

I was not very sure about my decision.

Then my pocket thanks to me for switching my 20MPG old 1987 Sentra to this 35MPG jewel (yeah, 35 MPG!!).

I am glad of my choice.

Even when I miss Sentra's aceleration I known it was a great deal.

Review Date: 23rd September, 2002

1996 Geo Metro LSi 4 cylinder from North America

First year of ownership1998
Engine and transmission 4 cylinder Automatic
Previous carFord Escort

Summary:

It's a great starter car, perfect for anyone young and/or in a city

The windshield washer pump stopped functioning within a year of purchase.

The air conditioner went out and had to be recharged. The fan that pumps the air works only on high.

The front brake pads, rotors, and calipers wore out.

The exhaust system (muffler, resonator pipe) had to be replaced at 60,000 miles.

General Comments:

The car gets great gas mileage, even in the city. And it's perfect for city driving as you can park it anywhere!

On longer trips, its only drawback is the lack of cruise control. I've moved across the country several times with a lot of stuff packed in the car (it runs a little slower then, but is still fine).

The ride is a little bumpy, especially for passengers in the back seat. The engine noise inside can be substantial (it is sometimes hard to hear music).

The interior is much roomier than you'd expect. And the back seat folds down so more can be stored in the trunk.

Review Date: 29th August, 2002

12th Dec 2003, 16:12

You say the engine is noisey, try using a synthetic or synthetic-blend oil. I have a three-cylinder Metro and doing that quieted it well. I use Mobil 5W/30 synthetic-blend.