2nd Nov 2007, 14:01

I have purchased mine recently a must say the 4x4 still works perfectly, it handles great in all weather conditions, I am more careful in bad weather in my vehicles. I love that it sips gas. Haven't had any work done on it. Has been a delight for the price I have been blown away, I thought it would be a winter toy, but now I store it in the winter and drive in the summer to keep it nice.

I would suggest you try a different mechanic, I hope you try another one that is sure to be a pleasurable and inexpensive ride.

I do appreciate your honest answers and will keep it in mind, as I am currently looking for another.

I wondered if anyone has ideas on how finding replacement parts if I need them, is there a supply?

Finally, TO CHEVY; BRING BACK THE TRACKER!!!

21st Nov 2007, 07:40

This guy must have just got a lemon. I bought my 97 Tracker in 2004 with 75,000 miles on it. It now has 105,000. I love this car!

I have had 2 problems with it. The transmission slips once in a while. I had it looked at and they could "fix it" for about $1200. After saying no thanks to that, I have figured out on my own that it is a sensor problem. If it slips, I simply stop and turn the car off and it resets the sensor and I'm good to go for several more months.

The other problem I am having now is the check engine light staying on. I had it read and they replaced the O2 sensor, but the light came back on. I've been doing some reading in forums and I don't think I'll spend much more money on the stupid light, the car is running just fine!

Every time I drive another vehicle I am so happy to get back in my Tracker. I feel like I'm riding down the road on a park bench. I'll keep it until it dies!

23rd Apr 2008, 19:18

I am currently on my second Tracker, third Geo. My first purple tracker was a 98 2 door soft top which I got for only $600 after my metro died at 270k miles. The 4 wheel drive was shot but I drove it through 5 New England winters and besides typical maintenance I only replaced a ball joint and an alternator. I also learned how to drive stick in the car so it took a hard beating right off the bat.

I loved my Tracker so much I hunted for another one (purple just like the first) The Tracker I'm driving now I got for $1000 with only 70k miles on it. I have driven it for 3 years and only 2 months ago made my first repair of an alternator belt and a wheel bearing. I am in love with my Tracker and only hope that Chevy will bring back the tracker before this one kicks it.

5th Mar 2010, 23:45

I have a 1997 Geo Tracker LSI, & I freaking love it. I got it from my step mom (she needed a new car because she's like that) so she gave it to me. I got it @ 115k miles, only problem I had/have is a simple erg code (engine light). Plus being me being 23, I love to take it out off road & out in 4 season bad weather, it sticks to the road like glue.

The only issue I have now @ 120k miles is a alternator bearing, which is my own fault from slamming though large puddles. :) If I could, I would keep it forever :)

- C~TRG -

26th Mar 2010, 12:47

I have a 97 four door Tracker. I bought the car used in 2001 with 32,000Km for a good price.

Much to my surprise, this little jeep is still ticking. I have been driving it every day for almost 10 years, and it has seen really harsh Canadian winters.

Since the time I bought the car, I have not put more than $1000 worth of repairs. The only major repair I made was the clutch. The car now has over 180K. Due to the harsh winters the rust has taken it's toll, but overall, I'm extremely pleased with my Tracker.