2004 GMC Envoy XUV SLE 4.2 from North America

Summary:

Reliable

- Speaker replacement.

- Both mid and rear gate window motor replaced.

- Instrument panel motors replaced (my fault, shouldn't have messed with the A/C immediately after changing the battery).

- Replaced motor mounts.

- Replaced fan clutch.

- Rear gate will not swing open.

General Comments:

Overall the vehicle has been very reliable. However, the 4.2L engine lacks in fuel economy. Highway mileage can be good (22-24 MPG), if the transmission will go into the road overdrive. It only happened once for me in 2009. The best thing I've done with the vehicle regarding repairs was replacing the motor mounts!! What a difference.

Review Date: 30th August, 2014

2004 GMC Envoy XLT from North America

Summary:

Wonderful passenger automobile

The only thing I've had to replace on this car is a sensor for the check engine soon light, and rear brakes at 75,000 miles.

We couldn't be happier with this car, I had a Jeep Grand Cherokee before this SUV, and loved it, but I would be conflicted on which one I would buy again; loved them both!

General Comments:

I believe in buying American when possible, and this car hasn't let me down!

Review Date: 11th February, 2011

2004 GMC Envoy 4.2L from North America

Summary:

Dependable

Replaced headlight around 70000 miles.

Replaced gas cap at 77000 miles.

General Comments:

We've owned this SUV for over a year now, and we are very pleased with it. It is very dependable and get us where we need to go every time. The gas mileage is good for a large SUV (20 to 21 mpg on hwy). Has plenty of room for luggage on a trip. My wife commutes 25 miles daily (round trip) to work and daycare with my 15 month old boy. I feel they are safe in this vehicle.

The only negative things I can say about this SUV is the door seals have a little wind noise at hwy speed, and the vehicle seems a little top heavy (as do most large SUVs).

I'm very happy and satisfied with the Envoy, and I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one. It's always been my experience with vehicles that if you take care of them, they will take care of you.

Review Date: 27th January, 2011

2004 GMC Envoy XUV 6 cylinder from North America

Summary:

Typical US made vehicle. Non-durable under 100k

My air gate actuator, (actuator that directs blown air through the lower or upper vents) is inoperable. Went out around 55k miles; Presently 97K on the odometer;

My speedometer went out completely around 72K. Had intermittent operation before that;

Service engine light came on. Had to change thermostat to correct it. Scanner revealed coolant temp sensor, and oxygen sensor. Changed those also;

6 changer CD player broke around 35K miles;

Steering wheel column is hard to turn, although steering fluid reservoir is replenished.

General Comments:

Practicality of the vehicle is a great concept with the sliding roof. However, all the maintenance items overshadowed its potential appreciation.

15mpg - not good.

Review Date: 23rd January, 2009

23rd Sep 2009, 11:01

I have a 2004 XUV SLT V8 with 86K miles on it. No problems and have had no service expenses other than oil changes.

So far so good. Love the functionality of the vehicle, use it for hauling dogs, landscape supplies, boat, and anything else. Have also used it for cross country trips and it's reasonable comfortable. Avg 18.1 mpg on total miles, not great, but could be worse.

2004 GMC Envoy XUV 4.2 straight 6 cylinder from North America

Summary:

Typical American quality (or lack thereof)

The fuel pump went out at 36K miles.

The electronic tailgate latch had to be replaced at 32K miles.

General Comments:

This truck does everything I need it to do, but doesn't really excel at anything. It is roomy and has decent power, but the gas mileage is 15 mpg.

The front seat belts come out of the seat rather than the pillar, so some people find them uncomfortable. There's some serious blind spots in the back, but I'm used to them.

It is so-so as an off-road vehicle. It has 4WD, but the ground clearance isn't much. Haven't got it stuck, but there are places I would not take the Envoy that I could take a Jeep, for instance. Bottoming out is a problem if you pretend you can rock crawl with an Envoy.

There's a lot wind noise on the highway.

The XUV exclusive features (sliding roof over cargo area, folding midgate, side/rear opening tailgate) are handy, but their usefulness is questionable. A pickup with a camper shell could do much of the same things as the XUV without the complexity. The electronic sliding roof could be expensive and difficult to find parts in a few years when the warranty is up.

Reliability has been so so, but I'm used to Japanese cars that hold up until 100K miles.

Review Date: 3rd August, 2007

27th Sep 2008, 19:24

I have to disagree with the writer, I have had my Envoy XUV for four years and the only major thing was the speedometer went out and got it replaced for a reasonable cost. I have over 108,000 miles on it with no complaints. As far as the roof section, no problems either and use it on occasion.

Thanks.

3rd Oct 2008, 21:49

I have an Envoy XUV with the V8. Like the other comment, I did have to replace the speedometer, but it was a warranty item. I love this truck and have had it for 4 years. Just replaced the tires after 90K miles. It pulls my boat and rides like a dream.

12th Nov 2008, 21:01

I've got a 2004 XUV with 40k miles and haven't had a problem yet. The city mileage is bad (14mpg) - but on the highway I can get 22 to 23.

21st Nov 2008, 17:59

My 2004 XUV has approximately 79K miles. So far I've had to replace both the rear and midgate window regulators (not inexpensive). I probably didn't even open/close the midgate window 50 times.

This week my speedometer is failing as many other GM speedometers from 03-04. I've been using my GPS to determine speed. I'm hoping the dealer will cover it since it seems to be a design flaw.

21st Jan 2009, 20:33

I also own a 2004 Envoy XUV with 80,004 miles - like everyone else I had zero problems UNTIL today. Although the mileage counter seems to work, my speedometer is NOT working correctly.

For those guys that went through this problem before, can you provide me with some suggestions/insight on what you guys did and how and how much it costs to fix it?

Thanks.

8th Feb 2009, 18:12

The fix for the speedo issues are easily repaired. New stepper motors can be purchased on eBay for $40, and it takes about 30 minutes to replace them all. GM won't pay on Envoys/Trailblazers to fix them.

Directions on www.trailvoy.com.