2004 GMC Envoy Reviews - Page 3 of 3

2004 GMC Envoy XL 6 cylinder. from North America

Year of manufacture2004
Engine and transmission 6 cylinder. Automatic
Previous carChevrolet Venture

Summary:

So far so good. See me in 4 years...

Power steering rack failed at about 2000 miles. Dealer replaced under warranty. No problems since.

General Comments:

We replaced our Chevy Venture with this vehicle. Our idea was to transition from Minivan life to a vehicle that still worked for a family - but now with older kids. Besides, my son hated to be seen driving the Minivan...

It's a great SUV. Comfortable, reliable and powerful. I'm not sure why anyone would by the 8 cylinder when the six is so gutsy. We get 15 mpg city and 18 highway. You can lower these numbers if you have a heavy foot. Easy on the acceleration and your mileage will be better.

My wifes big complaint is that, compared to the minivan, there is less storage for "between the seat" kinds of things. Where to put purses, small bags etc. The Envoy has a console that covers the transmission hump (which the front wheel drive venture didn't have) - hence less between the seats storage.

Ours is the XL which is much longer than typical. Rearward visibility can be a bit limited when backing.

Storage, seating, convenience etc are great. Our runner up car when shopping was a Honda Pilot which had much more road noise.

Buy one when GM offer great rebates and you won't be unhappy.

Review Date: 8th August, 2004

30th Sep 2004, 10:40

I agree, end-of-year rebates and GM Card earnings lower the purchase price tremendously. Went with the Carbon Metallic. Handsome vehicle. Replaced a mini-van.

27th May 2006, 21:09

We bought a 2003 Envoy SLE in June of 2003 after driving the Toyota Highlander (no power, poor ride), the Ford Explorer (too noisy, poor ride) and several others, none of which had the awesome power (we have the 6, who needs the 8!!) the quiet, smooth ride and the luxurious feel. In 40,000 miles we've had not one single problem with this car. It looks, drives and feels as good as the day we bought it. We get 19mpg average, which is not bad for something so big. We stayed away from the longer XL because the added weight really eats into the mileage. We'd buy another one in a minute if we were ready to trade. Out of 5 domestic and 3 Japanese SUV's we drove none even came close to the Envoy.

7th Feb 2007, 15:28

You will want the V8 if you tow anything. Same gas mileage as the 6!

9th Dec 2007, 22:12

Our 2003 Envoy is STILL performing flawlessly with not a single problem, and my wife refused to even consider trading it in on a new Acadia (which I love). It's definitely a keeper. I'm curious as to how the original reviewer's is doing. How about an update?

2004 GMC Envoy XUV SLE 4WD 4.2 L6 from North America

Year of manufacture2004
Engine and transmission 4.2 L6 Automatic
Previous carVolkswagen Jetta

Summary:

Glad it's not mine

Nothing went wrong yet, it's still "new"

General Comments:

The 6 cylinder engine delivers enough power to get you from 45 to 90mph in about 10 seconds, if you're towing nothing.

The suspension is characteristic to American cars: bouncy. Considering that it's still under warranty, I tackled a 25mph curve at 70 on dry pavement (hey, who really knows, maybe this could've been an accident-avoiding life-saving maneuver under different circumstances) and the car seemed to handle it, until it started leaning toward the outside of the curve really bad (I braced for impact), the rear end broke loose with a Disappointing screech (5,000 lbs, what did I expect?!). Lucky me there was nothing coming on the opposite lane, that gave me enough space to get it to go straight again - pretty responsive steering.

The cabin has decent-to-nice appointments and offers plenty of space for 5 adults, 4 if you're above 300lbs. Air conditioning is available for the rear passengers too. Fold the rear seats, and drop the mid-gate: you got yourself a van. Slide the power-sliding rear roof and a pick-up truck suddenly appears. It would be nice if the windows would go back up with the same.. let's call it "press-and-forget" technique.

The sound system has enough power if you like opera music and the like, but there isn't much bass even on max setting. I can't believe they still didn't integrate MP3 decoding technology in stock CD players, for crying out loud!

Man, this car is big!! Try to park it in New York. I bet you'll have to put quarters into 2 parking meters.

Review Date: 29th July, 2004