2004 GMC Envoy Reviews - Page 2 of 3

2004 GMC Envoy SLT 4.2 from North America

Previous carVolkswagen Jetta

Summary:

Fantastic!

Nothing.

General Comments:

We absolutely love our new Envoy. My daughter only wants to ride in it and not our other car. I recently took it on our first highway trip about 500 km round trip. I converted the mileage to miles per imperial gallon and it was 21. This is much to my disappointment. A few years ago I owned a 1998 Chev Blazer which got 30 mpg (highway). This Envoy is a much superior vehicle in every way except gas consumption. The web site for GM Canada suggests that it should get 27 mpg, but I am a long way off. To my surprise as the needle kept dropping, the city mileage is not much worse than the highway. Anyway, I guess I will use my Honda Accord for highway trips and use 1/2 the amount of gas. Not sure if premium fuel would help.

Review Date: 4th December, 2004

21st Dec 2004, 17:41

I do not care if your 98 Blazer floated on clouds, it DID NOT get 30mpg! I have owned 2 Blazers. A 1998, and a 2000. One was 2wd (2 door) and 4wd (4 door). I used synthetic oil (mobil 1) and drove like a grandpa with brittle feet and after owning them for a total of 4 years and over 100,000 miles logged, the most I ever got was 22mpg (highway/summer). What did you expect for an SUV anyways?

5th Jul 2010, 19:51

Wish I could be more positive. The Envoy drives like a dream. We really like it, but, the electronics were made by the Prince of Darkness to quote an old phrase.

I like buying cars after they reach 100,000 miles. We have about 140,000 now. We love the car but it has had: a new transfer case, $3000; new speedo (not swimsuit); 100,000 service, $1000; used drivers door switch set and burned wires $800. The mirrors never worked well, my wife says just cut the wires.

Like I say, I love the car, but it's kind of pricey to keep going. Love the straight six.

24th Aug 2012, 19:04

To the Dec comment... it's not 30 American MPG! Canadians and Europeans use different MPG calculations.

2004 GMC Envoy XL SLE 4.2 Liter Inline Six Cylinder from North America

Engine and transmission 4.2 Liter Inline Six Cylinder Automatic
Previous carFord Escape

Summary:

I should have went with the Explorer

Irritating squeak from underside. This began at around 300 miles and got progressively worse.

Rear hatch hydraulic cylinders alredy went at 20000 miles.

Change oil light will not go off unless I get my oil changed at the dealer.

General Comments:

The car is generally pretty stylish and rides like a Cadillac. the acceleration is good for its size and engine power.

I don't think it was very well made. For example, it squeaks whenever you hit a bump. This problem has gotten worse over time and the dealer seems to think there is no problem. Also, The rear hatch hydraulic pistons decided to stop working one day. Keep in mind the car is still 6 months old.

The transmission is very touchy in the sense that you are either cruising or at 4000 RPM when you accelerate. The brake feel is poor and I can't see out of the rear window.

The mileage is OK for its size and the power is sufficient.

Review Date: 28th November, 2004

17th Feb 2005, 18:32

The gas light problems is easily fixed if look in the manual. The light is set to come on after a set number of engine revolutions. When you take it to the dealer they simply resit it be easy code. For example pressing the gas five times and then turning the switch to on. It just depends on the model. Check your manual I have done this several times with my grandmothers car.

2004 GMC Envoy XL 6 cylinder from North America

Engine and transmission 6 cylinder Automatic
Previous carVolkswagen Passat

Summary:

Probably a lemon

The transmission went out with less than 5,000 miles.

General Comments:

The dealer rebuilt the transmission under warranty, but it doesn't shift correctly (as it did when new). Dealer says it is working as designed. I am currently unable to get anyone at GM to respond to my concerns.

Review Date: 7th November, 2004

30th Jul 2006, 13:52

Please don't condemn a great car because of a bad dealership. For years my wife and I bought Fords from a dealership that not only refused to fix them, but (we strongly suspect) actually sabotaged them so we'd have to come back. We finally got fed up and traded our Fords for two GM cars. One is a 2003 Envoy that now has almost 50,000 miles on it, the other is a Pontiac with just over 50,000 on it now. We have never had one seconds trouble with either vehicle, and the GM dealership has been wonderful in performing the routine servicing quickly and efficiently without deliberately loosening bolts or hoses to cause additional problems.

I have no idea what caused your transmission problems, but a very minute percentage of all cars (foreign and domestic) have these kinds of problems. 99% of the time customer complaints are the result of bad service departments refusing to properly solve the problem, not a bad car. I'd consult an attorney if the problem is not properly repaired. I had to resort to that on one of my Fords for a relatively minor problem and it did the trick and forced the dealer to repair the car correctly. I wish you the best of luck. Our Envoy and Pontiac are two of the best and most reliable cars we have ever owned.

12th Mar 2010, 14:30

I purchase a 2003 Envoy with new off the showroom floor with a GMPP Major Guard Warranty. The vehicle is at 136,000 and needs an entire rear end, front and back pinion bearings over $3,000 for repairs. This is just one of many problems with this vehicle. Never missed a service and yet the vehicle is out of service; at 36,000 miles the suspension system was acting up, the transmission has never sound right. I am sure I have a lemon.