1994 GMC Jimmy SLT Vortec 6 from North America

Summary:

It is a well built, but has problems

Heater core went out on it.

Window motor broke.

Hinges on both front doors are falling off.

Hole in the gas tank.

Only the speedometer and odometer work on the dash lights.

Back window blew out when I hit a bump

Of course the A/C doesn't work.

NOTHING ELECTRONIC WORKS, WHATSOEVER.

General Comments:

I love this truck, it has always been reliable to me. It is in good shape for being 16 years old.

It has the normal wear and tear, but handles nice, and is still pretty fast and just as powerful as it always has been. Until everything electronic quit in it.

Review Date: 14th October, 2010

1994 GMC Jimmy S15 from North America

Summary:

Poor fuel intake system

We have owned this one for 3 years.

1. Fuel injector (spider) replaced when we bought it; $500.

1a. Fuel pump replaced when we first got it; $135.

2. Fuel injector (spider) replaced a year later; $500.

2a. Fuel pump replaced again as well as the injector; $135.

3. Fuel injector (spider) replaced a year later; $500.

3a. Fuel pump replaced again as well as the injector; $135.

4. Fuel injector (spider) replaced a year later; $500.

4a. Fuel pump replaced again as well as the injector; $135.

Seal on transmission leaked replaced; it's not that expensive.

Starter & fly wheel replaced due to fuel injector needing to be replaced the 4th time; $325.

02 sensor replaced 2 times in 3 years.

Brakes need replacing every 2 months since we got it; $40 each time.

Brake master cylinder replacement; $50.

Driver's window motor replacement; $90.

Passenger side window motor replacement; $30 (found one cheaper than the auto parts store at an online auction site).

Passenger door handle replaced; $35.

Headliner coming loose.

Lousy gas mileage.

General Comments:

My biggest complaint is the fuel injector (spider) problem. Spent $2000 in 3 years for the fuel injector alone. And the bad part is a lot of places have this in stock, so it must be a regular problem with this particular fuel injector.

Plus having to replace the fuel pump each time we replace the injector, bumps the cost up to $2450, & then you add the starter & flywheel being worn out from trying to start it with the fuel injector going bad, makes it $2865.

I am an ASE certified mechanic, so I fix it myself, & if I had to take it into a shop it would cost more. I miss my Toyota truck!!

Review Date: 5th May, 2009

1994 GMC Jimmy SLT 4.3L V6 from North America

Summary:

Overall it has been a pretty good truck

Engine went out at about 145,000.

Rear window switch was worn out.

Rusted quarter panels and around fenders.

Driver seat sown up.

Heater Core replaced at 150,000.

General Comments:

The SLT has very nice padded leather seats.

While the performance is so so it still has some real acceleration.

Tight turning radius.

4wd can come in handy at times.

Some good space in the back when seat is folded down.

Review Date: 26th July, 2007

1994 GMC Jimmy S-15 4.3 Vortec from North America

Summary:

Overall, a very good vehicle!

Really the only problems I've had with it was the EGR, in which resulted in making my truck seem as though it was missing, and cutting out! All I did was for one replaced my spark plugs, and wires, and then I just whacked my EGR a few good times! And believe it or not, I have had no problems from the EGR out of it since.

Also, I had to replace my power break booster! You talk about one hell of a job! And the last problem I've had was my starter went out, but that really ain't a problem with the truck, that's just normal wear and tear!

General Comments:

Overall this truck has been a pretty good truck! I really like it. It runs great, it's pretty good on gas, and it handles well also!

Review Date: 2nd July, 2007

1994 GMC Jimmy SLT 4.3 from North America

Summary:

The 1994 is better than the 2005. Jimmy ROCKS!!

The odd thing has been replaced/repaired.

Oxygen Sensor.

Fuel Pump.

Alternator.

Other miscellaneous sensors.

General Comments:

This SUV is so awesome. I posted a review on it before, but wanted to say this...

Today I test drove a 2005 GMC Jimmy thinking I would get ANOTHER one. But after driving the 2005 Jimmy I was actually quite disappointed in it compared to my 1994 GMC Jimmy. Although the interior of my 1994 is outdated, the rest of the vehicle is awesome. It runs great, it is so comfortable and I can do just about anything with it (tow, off-road, haul stuff). It just does everything!! I will honestly spend $3000 putting a new motor in my 1994 Jimmy before I would invest $15,000 or $20,000 in the new one. I think GM is making crap now.

So if you are considering a GMC Jimmy or Chev Blazer go with the older styles. You'll have to invest the odd $$$$ in repairs, but the rewards far exceed the expenses. I will keep sinking money in to my 1994 to keep it on the road - it's worth every penny and cheaper than a monthly payment for a new one that I didn't even like as much as my old one. My Jimmy is a true blue truck and I gotta love it!

Review Date: 12th June, 2007

22nd Aug 2007, 21:28

Okay, so I went out and bought ANOTHER 1994 GMC Jimmy SLT - exact same - green/black leather interior except for a 3" lift on this one. As they say in the McDonald's commercials... "bah bah I'm lovin it!"

Even though the moment I pull into the driveway, my hubby will have some work to do, but nothing major, and all worth it!

1st Dec 2009, 11:31

I have a 1994 Jimmy and couldn't be happier with it. The only issue I have with it right now is that it is starting to rust out pretty bad, but other than that it is still running strong at 179,000 miles!