1996 GMC Jimmy Reviews - Page 2 of 5

1996 GMC Jimmy NOT SURE 4.3L from North America

Model year1996
Engine and transmission 4.3L Automatic
Previous carDodge Dakota

Summary:

A LEMON for sure

First the tires all 4 had to be replaced the same day I bought the car.

Needed new radiator only 2 weeks after tires with 157300 miles.

New transmission at 160000

Radiator flush needs to be done again

Now a new Heater Core at 160500.

General Comments:

It is comfortable to ride in, but that is about it.

Review Date: 19th November, 2007

19th Nov 2007, 20:46

Yet another person expecting trouble free motoring on a high mileage vehicle requiring some maintenance...

19th Nov 2007, 22:18

How can you call an 11 year old car with 160,000 miles on the clock a lemon? Why are you complaining about replacing all 4 tyres on the first day? Didn't you check them before purchase?

1996 GMC Jimmy SLE Vortec 6 from North America

Model year1996
Engine and transmission Vortec 6 Automatic
Distance when acquired72000 miles
Previous carGMC Nissan

Summary:

Reliable, good-looking and tough, I love it!

I have been very impressed with the longevity of my Jimmy. I love this vehicle! It has been by far the most reliable vehicle I have ever owned. Although there are comfort issues with the lack of cushioning & positioning of the front seats causes lower back pain, and it does rattle quite a bit on the inside; (this is from kids slamming the doors & breaking the grommets which hold the interior door panels in place, not the car or manufacturer's fault.

I too have had to replace the radiator at about 120,000 miles, my mechanic suggested that I change to a different system which uses the green coolant rather than the Dex Cool which has apparently caused Many problems for this car. I did make that change, but to my dismay, 100,000 miles later, lo! the radiator is leaking again! So now in the process of repairing for a second time. I really can't complain too much, though considering the number of miles I have put on the car.

Other than cooling system issues I have replaced upper and lower ball joints, (it still feels very 'heavy' or sluggish on the front end), (does anyone know why the recommended size of front tires are actually too wide? They rub on undercarriage parts, causing problems with the power steering unit, due to added stress, I'm thinking) power steering unit, water pump, fuel pump, front wheel bearings, belts, hoses, brakes and regular routine maintenance items. Oh yeah, about those wipers, turns out that this is a very common problem with many GM products in this age category, especially pick-ups and SUVs, all you have to do is replace the printed circuit board, viola! problem solved!

What bothers me most about this car is that 'whoomp, whoomp, whoomp' noise that it makes at highway speeds. I have searched and searched for the source, to no avail, sounds like the drive shaft or transmission?

I have changed tires, serviced transmission and rear-end, the previous owners had the drive shaft replaced while still under warranty.

I would definitely buy another GMC, but would check it out thoroughly first.

Review Date: 1st November, 2007

1996 GMC Jimmy SLE 4.3 Vortec V6 from North America

Engine and transmission 4.3 Vortec V6 Automatic
Previous carChevrolet Camaro

Summary:

It's a great vehicle, handles well, is good in the snow, and is a safe reliable vehicle

I just purchased this vehicle from my father who had owned it for about 7 or 8 years. I couldn't get a car loan because of revolving college loans, so he let me buy it off him.

Over his course of ownership, my father has had just minor problems with it that are normal for any automobile with higher mileage.

Ball joints, rear main seal, brakes, exhaust, etc.

I have found a ton of rust on the undercarriage (typical of any vehicle having seen 11 Maine winters). I spent about a half a day chipping away the loose stuff, then wire brushed the entire frame and sprayed everything with WD-40 to give me at least a couple more years of life from the vehicle. The body is in great shape; no rust whatsoever.

The differential cover is completed rusted through, and there is oil seeping through it; that is a very serious problem and could destroy the entire rear-end if not replaced, so it is good I noticed that; make sure you check yours.

I also noticed the brake lines were rusted; I picked a piece of rust off one side of the brake line and immediately oil started coming out of 2 tiny pin holes; nothing major, just minor maintenance.

My father has never changed the auto tranny fluid, and a lot of people say you never have to, but trust me it's very important on the life of your transmission to have it changed, and to change the transmission filter.

General Comments:

I'm far from being a mechanic, but am definitely a DIYer, short of rebuilding the engine or frame off restoration.

If I can't fix it, I look on the Internet or in repair manuals, and learn how to fix it.

99% of you people complaining about your Jimmys need to understand that all the stuff you are mentioning is "normal wear and tear". If it's a little worse, it's probably because someone beat on the vehicle. GMC Jimmys were not meant to be used for offroading or racing. If you want to do that, spend the 25,000 to make sure the vehicle can handle it or you will be spending that much in replacing your OEM parts time after time.

A word of advice also on the cost of fixing and parts: I read every comment posted and the prices on things you have listed that you had to fix are pretty high, I would probably not own a Jimmy if I had to pay that much. Do yourself a favor and the next time something goes wrong, park it, do some research on the Internet, shop around for the best price on parts (a lot of time ebay or some Internet site can get the part for nearly half the cost that your mechanic can), and don't be afraid to get your hands dirty, you will save a lot of money. Replacing parts on a vehicle is not nuclear physics, it's like putting together legos, your kid can do it, and so can you. And remember these are not "investment" vehicles, all parts will eventually wear out, even if you do the maintenance and baby it.

Review Date: 28th October, 2007