1998 GMC Sonoma SLS 2.2L from North America

Summary:

A very affordable vehicle in any situation

I have had to replace the windshield wiper motor, the shock absorbers, and the brakes (pads and rotors).

The other issue that I have yet to resolve is with the AC compressor. It has a leak in the compressor seal itself, so the repair will be around $700. I just refill the freon about once a month.

General Comments:

This truck is in short, great! Although the small engine is not powerful, I have no problem in town or on the interstate unless it is a rather short on ramp. It will go any legal speed limit here in the US. My average MPG is approx. 26. In highway only driving, I have gotten as good as 32 mpg and in city only driving approx. 23 mpg. Which is fantastic! Especially compared with my other car, which is a 1979 Cadillac Fleetwood with a 425 that gets about 12mpg.

The interior is very comfortable even on long trips. I have taken it on trips as long as 20 hours of driving straight, and it was quite comfortable.

Review Date: 10th December, 2010

1998 GMC Sonoma 4.3 Vortec from North America

Summary:

Best vehicle ever made

I don't have anything to complain about my 98 GMC Sonoma; it's the best vehicle I have ever owned.

The only thing I have ever done to it is put a water pump in it, and an alternator; that's it, and it's got 240,000 miles on it.

It's an Extended Cab Sportside and no oil leaks anywhere.

I live on the east coast; I am not scared to get in it tomorrow and drive it to the west coast, and will do anything to improve it. I just change the oil every 4,000 miles with Mobil 5000, and even when you pull the dipstick after 4,000 miles, it still looks as clean as when I put it in.

I haven't even changed the fuel pump on it!!!

Review Date: 12th October, 2010

19th Oct 2010, 01:23

That's sounds like a Chevy to me... always a wise investment.

1998 GMC Sonoma 2.2 from North America

Summary:

Above average

Transmission leak due to rupture of interior housing, exhaust leak seat, rip on seam on left side of driver seat, windshield wiper gradual failure, water pump leak by bearing housing rupture.

General Comments:

Otherwise reliable and comfortable.

Review Date: 23rd April, 2010

1998 GMC Sonoma SLS 2.2 I4 from North America

Summary:

Good truck that could have been better on the inside

Seat handle broke off on both seats.

U-Joints wore out at 140,000.

Slave clutch cylinder wore out at 150,000.

Dash top AC vent cracked and broke off.

3-Door handle broke 3-times so far.

Wipers started working when they wanted to. Turned out to be the wiper controller under the hood. Unit seems to last about 80,000 miles.

AC vacuum hose cracked and feel apart at about 125,000.

Oil leak for the last 30,000.

General Comments:

It has been a good truck with problems that I guess just happen after you pass the 100k mark. I do not think it is worth much anymore, but it is now what I use to drag my bike around. It was cheaper than the same S-10 from Chevy, but now GMC is becoming such a big name, they cost closer to the same.

Review Date: 29th March, 2006

1998 GMC Sonoma SLS 4 cyclinder from North America

Summary:

Can't go wrong, but opt for a V6 if available

80,000 seat lever broke off.

85,000-The windshield wipers only work when they want to.

90,000-Slave cylinder in the clutch went out. $500.

93,500- A rattle in the exhaust has started I'm assuming it’s the converter, I haven’t had it fixed yet since it is not a big deal, its just annoying.

General Comments:

My 98 GMC Sonoma has been a great truck. With just over 94,000 miles on it now the engine still runs just like new. It does not even leak or burn oil at all.

This truck has been amazing, with the exception of the problems listed above. It has been bullet proof. Believe it or not it has not had any maintenance at all other than oil changes every 3000 miles. I did change the belt and spark plugs on it a few hundred miles ago, but I did that myself. The only time the truck has been in the shop was to fix the slave cylinder problem listed above.

Power wise, I believe the truck is adequate around town, but is lacking on the interstate.

The truck is about as comfortable as a regular cab compact truck can be, which is not very, but you get what you pay for.

The interior is better than most of the newer model low end GM vehicles in my opinion. It has also held up very well over the years.

If I cold do it all over again I would, although I would probably get an extended cab with the V6 engine. As a matter of fact the new GMC Canyon will probably be my replacement for this truck. When/if this truck ever does start to give me a lot of problems.

Review Date: 17th March, 2006

17th Mar 2006, 09:29

Just an F.Y.I. There is an active recall on the windshield wiper motor on the 1997-2000 Chevrolet S-10 and GMC Sonoma with a 4 cylinder engine. I would check with your local GMC dealership and see if your truck is one of the problem trucks. Good luck.

2nd Jun 2006, 15:57

What a good and useful comment was that last one! More info like that should be on this site. That's what its all about. Not - the slag-fest that is perpetuated by some self-proclaimed auto authority. You know who you are wonder-boy.