1998 GMC Sonoma SLS 2.2L from North America

Summary:

A feature packed entry level truck designed for the city boy with a country soul

The front U-Joint had to be replaced at 75,000 Miles.

The finish scratches easily.

The lumbar support know broke when I over twisted it.

The emergency break pedal gets stuck, so I must push the pedal while pulling the emergency break release.

General Comments:

The truck handles well in the summer, but lacks traction in the snow.

The Anti-Lock Brake System is very good in the snow letting the truck spin out only on glare ice.

The gas mileage is incredible in the city averaging 24-28 in the city on 89 octane.

There is excessive road noise.

The stereo system is incredible for a factory system, especially the "Auto Volume System" which turns up and down the volume as you accelerate.

The retained power is a very convenient feature.

The headlight system is set a little late for driving in rain (meaning that if it is a dreary day, I normally have to turn on my headlights manually about 10 to 15 minutes before the sensor detects they should be on).

The 5 speed stick is very responsive and allows for full use of engine power.

The cabin lighting system is designed very well; almost every area (including the foot wells) is lit.

Review Date: 8th February, 2003

26th Oct 2005, 08:54

Or a Country Girl.

1998 GMC Sonoma SL 2.2L 4 cylinder. from North America

Summary:

A versatile truck for work or play

The windshield wiper motor operates erratically. It appears to be a problem with the connection at the wiring harness, as wiggling this connection will provide intermittent service.

The seat back adjuster handle has broken off.

The visor vanity mirror flaps have very weak hinge connections which have snapped.

The locking linkage in the passenger door has a plastic guide which has broken and impaired the use of the manual lock.

As with many GM vehicles, the door hinge pins wear prematurely, causing the doors to sag.

General Comments:

The 1998 interior is a great improvement ergonomically over the 1994-1997 S-series trucks. The door handles and dashboard layout show competence on the part of Chevy/GMC designers.

The 2.2L engine is a bit small for a truck rated at 1/2 ton capacity, but relatively speaking, this little 120-horse engine packs a punch. The gas mileage makes the lack of power worthwhile.

The 5-speed transmission shifts well and seems to be geared appropriately for this truck. The only problem I have had is trying to shift into first while decelerating at speeds where second gear may lug the engine.

The handling is quite refined, yet it retains the danger of losing rear traction like so many light trucks.

Review Date: 10th December, 2002

15th Jul 2004, 21:10

Good review... we have a 98 Sonoma SL as well second hand bought with 60,000 + KM on it Canadian eh? :)

At any rate...

Yes, problems with the wipers and our seat handle broke off as well.

Our main problem at the moment is trying to get more power out of the 4 Cyl eng. It sucks big time on steep inclined highways... putters along nicely in the city tho.

Dave and Sue Williams.

6th Jul 2005, 02:59

I also have the 1998 sanoma with the 2.2L. I have a auto trany and I have no problem with power even when I pull my jet ski with it. If you really want to put the money into it you can get the bigger differential put in. I was lucky enough to find one with the 4:10 differential. The only problem with this though is that I get only 18 mpg city with it at most.

1998 GMC Sonoma SLT V6 vortex from North America

Summary:

The GMC Sonoma Highrider is an excellent truck and handles without competition

Only thing has gone mechanically wrong with my GMC Sonoma High-rider is the driver's side window will sometimes not role up and down. I have power windows, so I'm sure there's a short or a wire is going bad. Most of the time it works, but when it's really hot or you get to a creek crossing out in the woods, and you need it the most, it will not work.

I do have one fear of my truck. The brakes are not the best. Brakes that are installed on a High-rider or Zr2 are designed for an S-10. Since the Zr2 and High-rider weigh more, and are slightly bigger trucks, the brakes don't last quite as long as they would on a vehicle designed for the small brakes.

General Comments:

I have had my High-rider since I turned 16. I would put it up against any truck on the market. I have grown up on a plantation, and use it all the time to take deer hunters in and out of the woods. To this day I have not gotten it stuck. The smaller wheelbase can fit around the ruts of our bigger farm trucks, and I can fit in and go places the bigger trucks can't. I put a set of Wild Countrys on that I run in the winter, and a set of BF Goodwrench All Terrains I run in the summer. The Wild Countrys sing a lot and give it a little rougher ride, but it still handles great.

I also put a Westin brush-guard on my truck and it looks really nice. I've had a couple of compliments from deer hunters and from people at traffic lights. Also I put a set of flow-masters on. With the dual exhaust my tuck sounds pretty good. The only draw back is it has a V6 so the power isn't all that much, but plenty for the size of the truck. So with the six, if you really lay down on the gas, it will choke off or either start to make a whining sound.

Review Date: 8th December, 2002