1998 GMC Sonoma SLS 4.3 from North America

Summary:

Only a V-8 would make it more fun!

Replaced 2 driveshafts, under warranty.

Rebuilt rear-end, under warranty.

Front brake job at 80000 miles.

On 3rd set of tires.

General Comments:

This Sonoma was ordered as a GMC display vehicle, for the Colorado State Fair. It's loaded, ZQ8 suspension package, top end stereo with CD and remote tape player, deep tint glass.

One comment when I test drove the truck was "It should say Cadillac."

Longest trip in this truck was 900+ miles. One-way.

Great in snow or wet conditions.

Review Date: 20th July, 2004

1998 GMC Sonoma SLS 2.2 from North America

Summary:

The truck is not reliable;I wish I could afford to dump it

Bad fan clutch bearing.

Bad rear axle bearing.

Bad solenoid in transmission.

Bad windshield wiper motor.

General Comments:

This truck does not have the dependability I thought I would get from it. Most parts that have failed are ones that you don't hear of failing in this day.

The windshield wiper motor has a gearbox with cheap gears that wear out. This has been an ongoing problem with GM vehicles for many years.

The transmission problem cost me dearly. Now it leaks.

Review Date: 29th October, 2003

1998 GMC Sonoma extended cab 4 cylinder from North America

Summary:

A huge lemon!!!

Windshild wipers quit working when its raining woks fine when its not raining, headlights wasnt grounded properly, a/c doesn't work half the time go and get it charged once every 6 months, universal joints broke on me lucky I wasnt killed, dealer said my clutch was bad took it to a side shop they checked it out and it was the clutch master cylinder, catalac converter was clogged had to replace it. seats are so hard to get to recline.

General Comments:

This vehicle has done a number on my pocket and I would never buy another one! GMC LOST MY BUSINESS FOR LIFE! all the things above wasnt covered on the warranty!

Review Date: 29th September, 2003

1998 GMC Sonoma /2 door standard Vortex V6 from North America

Summary:

Wouldn't buy another one

Minor gasket leaks, loose bolts, etc., while covered by warranty.

Recently, I had to replace the TCC Module (sorry, but I do not know what TCC stands for) and Encoder motor, without which the vehicle cannot engage 4-wheel drive. I understand from the dealer service department this is a common problem. Total bill for two easily installed electronic parts: over $1000. I am informed that GM is currently redesigning the Encoder motor. I hope they will take thought to the TCC module as well. I left them with their ears ringing, if that matters to them.

Limited leg room. After an hour or so, my hips begin to hurt, but I'm a fairly tall person.

Driver's side door handle has become loose.

Heater will not switch from defrost and dash vents to floor vents. Makes for very cold feet in winter. I have not inquired into repair costs for that.

Vinyl emergency brake gear broke in cold weather. About $250 to fix--I haven't.

Poor handling on curves compared to heavier vehicles.

General Comments:

About 20 mpg. Usually reliable other than the items mentioned above. Good at starting in very cold weather.

Because it is a short, stubby thing, the 4WD doesn't help a lot in deep snow. The truck just sits there on the snow bank and spins its silly little wheels impotently.

Review Date: 30th April, 2003

3rd Feb 2004, 17:09

If You are "Spinning Its Silly Little Wheels" it is because YOU haven't put the money into a good pair of tires. You should try some Bridgestone Dueler M/T tires. I promise you won't spin your tires anymore!!!

1998 GMC Sonoma highrider 4.3 vortec V6 from North America

Summary:

Don't buy it, get a z71, it's a piece

Gas mileage sucks. Gets about 14.5 city driving, and probably about 19, if your lucky on the highway.

Something keeps popping in the front end.

Right wheel has a ringing sound in it. Sorta like a metal ring was swinging round and round on a bar.

Differentials are always needing work on them.

General Comments:

This truck is a piece. I despise it.

You cannot do anything to this truck. Suspensions cost twice, sometimes three times as much as a Toyota.

A power chip can't be purchased for my truck.

Almost no lifts can be put on under a reasonable price. (12000-15000 for a 5" suspension, and a 3" PA body lift to fit 35's)

My truck bottoms out all the time.

The power is a joke.