9th Jul 2014, 04:14

Had the same problem on a 1995 Barina. Turned out to be the thermostat. Because the thermostat was not allowing water to circulate, the fan sensor never picked up the car was overheating. Changed the thermostat and it runs cooler now.

12th Jul 2014, 12:36

Possible solutions for S-light flashing.

1. Check/replace the neutral starter switch. It's a half moon like thing, which sits on top of the auto transmission. Some of them come with a single plug. Mine had a double plug on it. Two 12mm bolts on the sides and one 13mm nut at the centre holds it. Easy DIY job. Might cost around 50 dollars at a wreckers. Or you might even try opening it and give a good clean with Brakleen or some electrical cleaners. Make sure the wires and contacters are intact.

2. Might possibly due to a faulty thermostat.

3. Might be due to faulty fuses.

Hope this helps.

31st Jul 2014, 03:57

It's the S switch on the gear stick for Sport.

21st Oct 2014, 08:53

What is the S mode?

16th Jan 2015, 00:06

Flashing S means a fuse has blown. Check the fuse box.

26th Aug 2015, 22:31

Not sure if anyone is still using this site, but I have a '95 auto Barina Swing, and for a couple of months now, if my lights are on (not fog lights though) and I am reversing or indicating to the right, the fog light/high beam (orange light not blue) comes up on my dash. It only happens when my lights are on, but it doesn't happen it I am indicating to the left. I had someone look to see all my lights were working, including indicator lights, and I have turned the fog light on and off to try and get rid of the light, but to no avail.

Any ideas?

30th Sep 2015, 07:47

Hi, regarding your loss of power, I found after replacing the muffler and oxygen sensor, finally mine turned out to be the coils... which only cost around $80... but with all the other stuff not really needed, ended up at $345. And also the mechanic got a used computer, which didn't work. Some of these guys don't have a clue... sadly. So have the output of the coils checked.

Mervyn.

30th Sep 2015, 07:53

Hi, from what I have been advised... after replacing the radiator ($40 new) and thermostat... that even as not stated in the useless handbook, these cars run at 100. You can bypass the fan switch and have it running at all times... but mine seems OK. It goes up to 100 sometimes, then drops down to 94.

Regards, Mervyn.

30th Sep 2015, 20:33

It's doing the same thing on my Barina Swing. I have the manual book. Please contact me on 0476248717 (Australia).

28th Oct 2015, 00:37

I had this same problem with my car...a Holden Barina Swing 97. I found out that there is a sensor up the back of the engine bay on the driver's side below the brake fluid reservoir. I took it to numerous mechanics and they couldn't fix it, so every now and then I disconnect it, give it a clean and blow into it, make sure it is firmly back in place, and that the next sensor down the line is properly connected also, and it fixes the problem. I drive down dirt roads, and I find the bumps make it loose and the car starts revving high and coughing and spluttering all over the place, but as soon as I fiddle with this sensor, it fixes the problem!!

1st Feb 2016, 00:09

I have had issues with the Barina light switch on the control stalk last week. High beam would intermittently come on while the switch was on low beam. I found the problem to be inside the switch in the steering wheel. It is possible to dismantle the switch, but it took me hours of tinkering to figure out how it went back together. It is full of spring loaded "jesus clips".

The clearance between the high beam contacts decreases with wear of the rocker pivot. Eventually it touches. I bent the contact plate on the high beam side down by half a mm and reassembled the switch. It was very difficult to get back together - it's not designed to be fixed. I used a small nail inserted into a hole in the side of the switch to hold the contacts together while snapping the lid of the switch back on. The springs for the indicator auto-return also have to be located on their posts before the lid is fully snapped on - it took me about 2 hours of fiddling.

But hey - it now works a treat and will outlast the car.

19th Feb 2016, 03:10

Hi, I am after the fuse manual for the 95 Barina, as my Barina is missing a few fuses and relays, and I would like to know what I need to replace them...

Also is there anything about why the CD players are not working or the clock on the dash???

Email me on obrown3@bigpond.com please.

4th May 2016, 01:40

My Barina has just started doing the same thing. It's happened twice now, both times after rain. It starts well, then stutters even in different gears and has hardly any power even after being warmed up. Any ideas?

23rd Aug 2016, 09:57

Check that the spring is connected to the pedal or it might need replacing.