Holden Cruze Reviews - Page 2 of 3

Model year2010
Year of manufacture2010
First year of ownership2010
Most recent year of ownership2012
Engine and transmission turbo diesel Manual
Previous carMitsubishi Magna

Summary:

Highly recommend

The Holden Cruze I purchased was built in South Korea, not in Australia like they are now.

A couple of minor cosmetic issues have arisen, such as the silver covering of the inside door handles has started peeling away.

The actual holes in the door that you pull to close the door on the inside of the car, have a piece of rubber at the bottom of them. This has come off on all doors. However, $2 glue could easily fix this issue.

General Comments:

Diesel turbo lag is annoying, especially when the air conditioning is on driving around town (starting off from traffic lights).

Highway driving is where this car excels. Awesome fuel economy; 850km a tank, or 800km a tank around town.

Despite not having the biggest engine, you can have the air con on, and have the car in 5th gear, and it will tear up a hill on the highway with no dramas. Has a lot of torque.

Car is comfortable, never had any mechanical issues, and would definitely buy another one.

Review Date: 15th February, 2012

1st Apr 2014, 07:18

I agree that the Cruze in petrol base has real problems, however if you get into a 2LT diesel, well that's a different story.

Other than the usual turbo lag with diesels, this car is like a racing car. It has a great power to weight ratio in acceleration, and you can sit at 140kph at a mere 1200 RPM (I kid you not). And even at that speed, if you put the foot down the acceleration is impressive, not to mention the excellent fuel economy (800 - 950 Km to a 65 litre tank).

It absolutely hugs the road, beats the Mazda 3 easily in all departments as far as I am concerned, however again I must state that they failed on the petrol models badly, and would not advise the purchase of a petrol model. The diesel is terrific; test drive one and you will see what I mean.

2003 Holden Cruze AWD 1.5 petrol from Australia and New Zealand

Model year2003
Year of manufacture2003
Engine and transmission 1.5 petrol Manual
Previous carNissan Sentra

Summary:

I would buy another one

Up date from an earlier review... now done 103,000km. The car has been 100% reliable. Never broken down at all. Still on original battery. Just had the gearbox bearings and clutch done ($1900 NZ), which seems about normal for a Cruze, and probably all good for another 80,000 to 100,000.

Been a fantastic little car, and never regretted buying it, except for Holden's cavalier attitude to service.

General Comments:

All good.

Review Date: 6th November, 2010

2004 Holden Cruze from Australia and New Zealand

Model year2004
Year of manufacture2004
Engine and transmission Manual
Previous carMitsibishi Cordia

Summary:

Keep away from this car

Everything that everyone else has said!

Gearbox - 5th gear slips out - not fun when driving 110kms/hr! Now going to cost over $2500 to replace the entire gearbox!

Rear brake light faulty since the day I bought it. Has been 'fixed' several times, but keeps stuffing up til this day!

Grinding vibrations when braking. Just got it fixed today, but from what I read, it seems only a matter of time til it reoccurs.

Never seems to drive straight. After several wheel alignments, my car can still follow left curves in the road without my help!

Shudders above 100kms even in 5th.

Cheap and nasty cars. Unsafe and unreliable! It seems criminal that they've been allowed to sell them!

After sales service from Holden leaves a lot to be desired. Gutted they sold me this car with a straight face - I will never again trust this company enough to buy from them again.

Review Date: 24th November, 2009

21st Mar 2011, 22:52

I agree, I bought a 2003 Holden Cruze and have had no end of problems with the gears. Now, over the weekend, the gear box has problems (the differential has cracked the covering on the gear box and to replace it... how does does $3200 grab you?). It didn't grab me at all and no way will I pay that.

I have the same issue with shuddering at high speeds and brake shudder on hot summer days. I certainly hope the NEW Holden Cruze has none of these issues.

My husband and I are looking at Toyota as our next new car.