2010 Honda Accord LX 2.4 from North America

Summary:

Surprisingly very good!

Still flawless.

General Comments:

This car fulfills almost everything I wanted from a car; roomy interior, smooth enough, crisp handling, and I was a bit skeptical about the power of the base 2.4 liter, 177 h.p. engine... Found it to be more than adequate.

I know some will say that it was not made for that purpose or not safe enough, but it is my second summer with this car hauling my little boat weighing 2100 lbs with trailer.. Around 2400, with full gas tank and some other stuff inside the boat... And this Accord PULLS my boat out of water on steep descents, goes on the highways at 110 KM/H, goes up hills following road circulations, and if I need to pass going up long hills, yes I downshift in third and it goes and passes the car in front!! And the engine temp. gauge seem to never move, it stays always in the middle! And it BRAKES very well whenever I Want.. And this car is rated for only 1500 LBS when hauling.. But believe me, 2500 LBS, maybe higher, is no problem...

Still on its original brake hardware at over 85,000 KM.. Maybe I was lucky when I read of other posters having problems with the brakes... While braking I also downshift, helps a lot! And my pedal clutch is still very good... Very very satisfied.. Saving a lot of gas comparing with the Chevy V-8 that I have used to haul, and on very hot days was overheating!!... First Honda, and happily surprised!

Review Date: 4th September, 2011

4th Sep 2011, 18:56

I can't wait to see all of the arguments against imports when something fails on this one. "I would never buy a Honda Accord because clearly it couldn't handle a load almost twice as much as it was designed to carry. My (insert random new domestic midsize sedan name here) easily pulls my 10,000 lb. boat and I haven't had any issues in over 350K miles." Yeah, right.

4th Sep 2011, 21:53

Your temperature stays in the middle, as its movements are "damped" - e.g. your engine coolant temperature can fluctuate between 182 degrees and 204 degrees (or more, as can be verified by a scan tool, which reports the temperature that the engine control module sees from the coolant temperature sensor) without perceptible movement of the needle. This "damping" reduces customer complaints. By the time the needle starts moving, you are usually well on your way to trouble. You may also want to consider how hot your transmission is running when you tow - transmissions are the other half of the equation when towing.

6th Sep 2011, 19:04

85,000 KM on a 2010 already? Do you drive when you sleep too? :o)

8th Sep 2011, 18:37

No, I don't drive when I sleep... My work is at 140 km from my home, and every weekend we do some boating, biking, skiing, visiting friends or family, kids play hockey, karate, etc etc.. So near 5000km a month is easy as my wife also uses the Honda... It's not me that never sleeps... It's the Honda!..And still NO problems yet!.. First car that we rarely think it would break before planning for a "ride"... We all know it will! We're waiting!.. But for now we have no signs!

2010 Honda Accord LX-P 2.4 Vtec from North America

Summary:

Nice car, besides the brake issues

Brakes are a major issue with the 2008 and up Accords. Mine has over 90% highway miles, and I very conservatively use my brakes. Somehow the front rotors were warped by 19,000 miles. I've found that many others are having similar issues.

The Honda service department attributed the warped rotors to my "driving habits". 90% highway miles and rare use of the brakes can hardly be classified as poor driving habits.

Yes, resurfacing the rotors was covered by Honda, but obviously the rotors are now thinner and will most likely warp again.

Also, at 20,000 miles, they told me that my rear brake pads were at 50% life. What?? My 2007 F-150 has 55,000 miles and the brake pads still have 50% life.

So to sum it up, the brakes on these cars are a major weak point. Still a Honda... still a good car... but if I could do it over again, I'd probably buy a Camry.

When the warranty is up, I'm going to seek out some aftermarket rotors/pads/calipers.

General Comments:

Good car except the brake issues. You can't beat a v-tec.

Review Date: 22nd December, 2010

6th Jan 2011, 11:46

Hi there.

I'm from Saudi Arabia, and I totally agree with you, brake are a major problem in the Accord, and it is happening with everyone.

6th Jan 2011, 17:35

I'm the original poster.

Yeah, it's unbelievable. There are some class action suits against Honda for these issues, but my car "is not covered."

Makes me wonder what the criteria is to be covered... I've had some major issues that obviously stemmed from a design flaw.

I have a feeling there's going to be some more legal action against Honda for this situation. I think I would rather have a Camry with a sticky gas pedal!

7th Jan 2011, 01:45

Hello,

To our friend with the brake issues, please, do not use after market products on your Honda. I fell victim to that procedure and I do not recommend it. It is very unsafe. True, Hondas are not perfect (what is?), but they are still one of the most dependable and safe vehicles offered. Keep your Honda vehicle, all Honda, including replacement parts.

Tony.

22nd Jan 2011, 10:47

To the poster who said "Keep your Honda vehicle, all Honda, including replacement parts."

I would agree in most cases that it's best to keep the car original, but many companies like Brembo will analyze the vehicle over years, and actually improve upon the factory braking system by producing improved parts.

Honda, in the middle of a class-action suit, won't admit the problem. I'm sure they're capable of producing a fix for all of the brake issues, but that would be admitting fault - which they certainly won't do.

In general, using only factory parts is a good plan. But, there are many cases where aftermarket parts are far superior... often costly, but superior. But, it's up to you to find out which cases those are...

24th Mar 2011, 19:47

Original poster here. The car now has about 37,000 miles, and I had to have all four rotors resurfaced again because they were warped.

Since the last time they were resurfaced, I've driven 5,000 very easy freeway miles.

I'm needing brake jobs more often than oil changes... this is getting ridiculous.