2012 Honda Civic Reviews

Year of manufacture2011
First year of ownership2011
Most recent year of ownership2014
Previous carHonda Civic

Summary:

Good econo box

Nothing.

General Comments:

I have driven this car for 60,000 miles, so I can give some informed commentary here (nothing against those who just got it and wrote a review, but I'm not sure it's very valuable).

Gas mileage is very good. On my long, highway trip to work I can be driving 70-85mph at times, and average 38.5 MPG in summer and 34.5 in the winter.

It is more comfortable than my previous car, a 1999 Civic. Big bumps are still bad, but not nearly as bad as in the previous Civic.

Handling is mushy and poorer than the old Civic. The car is obviously heavier. Rolls and feels heavy in turns.

The 1.8 liter motor is relatively peppy if you have the econ off. With Econ on, the accelerator is (purposely) very mushy and unresponsive. Transmission is stubborn about downshifting too. You get used to it, it really does save gas.

Brakes are OK. Could be a bit more responsive.

Highway is slightly annoying. The car gets knocked around by the wind something awful. Sometimes it's all over the road. It has a big profile and really skinny (gas saver) tires. I will need my first set of replacement tires soon. I will probably put some fatter tires on it that grip the road a little more assertively.

Not great in snow. No Civic is, but this is worse than the old one. Again, may be the firm tires.

I would buy it again. It's comfortable enough, was decently priced, goes really long periods between oil changes and needs very little maintenance. Gets great mileage, and I won't have to worry about hybrid batteries becoming an expensive liability in 5 years.

Drove my last Civic 250k. This one is obviously going to easily do that.

Review Date: 10th February, 2014

2012 Honda Civic ES i-VTEC 1.8 from UK and Ireland

Model year2012
Year of manufacture2012
First year of ownership2012
Most recent year of ownership2013
Previous carHonda Civic

Summary:

Lost the old model's flair and driver involvement

Nothing as yet.

General Comments:

Still a good and reliable/well built car.

The ride is a lot better now, and the benefit of a rear wiper and larger lower rear screen, which is now heated, helps a lot. Useful things like being able to open the mirrors/windows with the remote key is good too. Higher level of refinement overall than my old car. Deeper bumpers also resist little parking bumps too.

Unfortunately though, when you look at both side by side (2006 model and this) the new one looks a lot blander. Gone are the unique triangular door handles and exhaust finisher and generally the unique look. The new car still looks a bit different, but also quite ugly in my opinion.

The drive is quite like a Golf, so it's competent, but the steering isn't as responsive and the handling is safe but mushy. I guess that's the trade off for the better ride. A shame.

The I button trip computer controls on the steering wheel are nowhere near as simple; you now have to go in to various menus to select what you want to see, and this can be confusing on the move. The cabin lighting is only in the middle of the car, i.e. when you open the doors, there is no frontal light now either.

Less front passenger leg room now.

SYNC button on the climate control replaces the DUAL button - again, a slightly more complex affair.

A strange Honda that has had a different approach overall, and one for the worse in my opinion.

Overall though, it's still a good car compared to many others out there.

Review Date: 28th April, 2013

27th Nov 2013, 22:26

There is this trend in the current car manufacturing. Marketing guys confuse modernity with complexity. I firmly believe any consumer goodies, from the toaster to vehicles, must be conceived in such way to be the easiest to use. What is the point of adding complex functions that require complex manipulation? What is that the engineers don't understand? I can image those guys in front of their computer thinking: Ok, now we are putting this function in and people will be enjoying it! Sorry, not if it's cumbersome to use.