2002 Honda CR-V Reviews - Page 9 of 9

Year of manufacture2002
Most recent year of ownership2002
Engine and transmission 160 HP 4 cylinder Automatic
Previous carFord Explorer

Summary:

Well, at least it's not MY car..

Engine needed to have a tune-up. (Probably a small isolated issue though)

Parking brake handle cracked due to extreme force needed.

General Comments:

When the lease was up on our Explorer, my wife wanted something a little more economical. We were considering getting a Ford Escape, but the Ford Dealer was too far away (it was always a pain in the Explorer to drive accross town to change the oil), and the Honda Dealer was nearby. Her sister owned a 1999 CR-V, and said she loved it, so it ended up being her choice.

The new 2002 CR-V has more power, something it most certainly needs. But it's still sluggish with the Automatic transmission. It's got "just enough" power for all of your basic needs, but when you need to STEP ON IT, it takes its own time.

I wish this thing had a V6. The advantage to having a 4 cylinder engine however is fuel economy, which is good, but not great. It doesn't guzzle as much as the Explorer did, but it's kind of dismal for a 4 cylinder. If you live where it is flat, than you'll probably be experiencing the benefits of this SUV more than we are.

The CR-V is crammed with clever goodies. The kids love the picnic table. It's reasonably roomy in the back, too, every bit as much as the Explorer.

So what's not to like? Other than the shortage of power, the dashboard. My wife says she doesn't mind it, but I can't stand it. The radio is around a foot above the HVAC controls, which are positioned absurdly low. And the parking brake, which has cracked under its own recalcitrance. Also the cheap-o plastic interior gets my thumbs down.

I should also mention that one of my kids gets real car-sick in this car. His friend's drive a Tribute, and he's fine in that. I suspect the seating position.

And on a personal note, I find the styling of this SUV... well... mommy-ish. It's just NOT a guy vehicle. And on the inside... well, let's just say the inside is neither contemporary, timeless, or attractive.

The only real problem came from an Engine that needed to be tuned up rather early. The dealer was rude at first, but became jovial after realizing we were right.

It's an OK vehicle. Mediocre. Blah. Mommy-ish. We're giving it another six months, otherwise we might end our lease early. If so, we may buy an Escape or Liberty (both of which we have test-driven now and like very much.) I'd strongly reccomend shopping around before buying this SUV. I think there are better alternatives, but then again, the CR-V just isn't my vehicle.

Review Date: 3rd June, 2002

9th Jan 2009, 19:11

I have a 2002 CR-V EX with 104000 miles on it and have not had one bit of trouble with it. I am going to have the plugs replaced next week, even though it still runs perfectly and still gets 24-26 mpg.

I had a '97 CRV at first with not enough get up and go, so I got this 02. I love it and would buy another in a minute, but I'm going to to see how many miles I can get on this one. I also tow it behind a motorhome.

7th Apr 2010, 13:40

I suppose it depends on priorities.

Having just owned and then resold a slicker, more stylish, perhaps more of a 'guy' vehicle (a european wagon, not a sports coupe, but still sportier), and then been reamed by the repair costs, I'm seriously considering the CR-V.

As a student the reliability is at the very top of my list; an unexpected $1000 here and $2000 there quickly makes the european car unaffordable. I agree -- the CRV is, well -- meh. Indifferent. But if I can rely on it to work for me... I might look at the Jeep Liberty too though, if the longevity is there!

2002 Honda CR-V 2.4 from North America

Year of manufacture2002
Most recent year of ownership2002
Previous carChrysler 300

Summary:

Poor excuse for a SUV

A short offroad excursion revealed less than ideal traction. It concludes with if all you are looking for is an alternative to a small car and SOME WEATHER CAPABILITY, the CR-V is the car for you. If you want a real SUV, I recommend Jeep Liberty or Nissan Xterra. If you want to visit mountains as well as go to the mall, get a Jeep Liberty or Nissan Xterra. If you want to tow a trailer, get a Ford Escape. It's the bottomfeeder of the small SUV class.

General Comments:

At least I didn't waste my money, it's a company car.

Review Date: 13th January, 2002

18th Sep 2002, 14:30

How could you possibly find fault in such a solid car? Without question, the redesigned 2002 Honda CRV is the best compact sport utility you'll ever find. Would you rather have a junkyard vehicle like a Kia Sportage instead???

27th Feb 2003, 13:37

Go get yourself a Jeep Tiperty then... I work for a rental car company, and I agree, the V6 Escape is a nice vehicle, lots a pep, not too bad on gas, car-like (sorta). In the end though, the only thing that counts, is will this vehicle be good to you through years of ownership, and as much as I like the Escape, in a short period of time, you will notice trim pieces coming apart, leather interior cheap and un-stitched, the cd player rattles the door panels, and a seat belt warning chime that will have you trading it in in no time. I think overall, the CR-V may be a little underpowered, but I am sure that long-term, would make a great, reliable everything you need it for kinda vehicle.

10th Mar 2005, 02:34

How the hell do I shut off my 2005 crv ex seat belt chime I'm going crazy.

13th Jun 2008, 17:44

The CRV is basically a Civic SUV. Our Civic was probably the WORST vehicle we ever had the displeasure of having to deal with. It was falling apart (LITERALLY) at 40,000 miles, and using a quart of oil every 500 miles (or less). The engine blew up at just under 100,000 miles and it was sold for scrap.

I'm not rushing out to buy another Honda. After 300,000+ miles in a Ford, 270,000+ in a GM and 240,000+ in a Chrysler with almost NO problems, I find I save MUCH more of my hard-earned money with domestics.